Spacep0d
Forum Supporter
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:14 pm
Delivery Date: 14 Feb 2019
Leaf Number: 309151
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Contact: Website

Re: Looking for good Santa Clarita Installers

Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:07 pm

RonDawg wrote:
Valdemar wrote:
Spacep0d wrote:Hi there,

Anyone know a good installer in Santa Clarita with reasonable prices, and who can help with pulling permits as-needed, and possibly dealing with HOA?

I have an unusual setup where my panel box is in downstairs bathroom (townhome) but I need charger in a garage separated by a small patio. It's not the best setup for a Level 2 charger install.

Any help is welcome!

Thanks,

Dan
Is there a wall they can run a conduit on to the garage? If not they'd have to trench and bury the conduit underground. Can get pricey especially if concrete is in the way.
Would it be possible to re-use any existing conduit to the garage for a 240 volt circuit, and add a sub panel in the garage to divide that feed for an EVSE and a 120 volt circuit? They will probably have to pull new, thicker-gauge wire but at least they won’t have to re-trench.
I'll definitely take a closer look. Someone else suggested this too and it's a good idea. Thanks!
--
2018 Nissan LEAF S
^My First EV!

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 13231
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Los Angeles Metro Area Leafers

Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:17 pm

Basically you have several options, depending on how much you want to spend and what your current setup is. My suggestion, to use the existing cable for one of the circuits, is easiest and cheapest (the electrician can also just add another outlet in a more convenient location, as you'd need a 240 volt A/C outlet anyway). It does limit the L-2 amperage to 80% of whatever the present limit is for that circuit. If you have conduit, it may be possible to pull heavier gauge 240 volt cable through it. Even if the conduit limits the cable size, they may be able to pull through a single 12 gauge 120 volt cable and re-purpose it for 240 volts. That would give you 16 amps at 240 volts, which is what earlier Leafs maxed out at anyway. 16 amps at 240 volts works fine for overnight charging.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Valdemar
Posts: 2627
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 10:32 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011
Location: Oak Park, CA

Re: Los Angeles Metro Area Leafers

Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:41 am

You'd need to use a 16A EVSE in that scenario.
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB), -1CB(53.92Ahr)@140k/29mo,
51.1AHr, SOH 80%, 150k miles

9kW Solar

Valdemar
Posts: 2627
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 10:32 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011
Location: Oak Park, CA

Re: Looking for good Santa Clarita Installers

Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:50 am

Spacep0d wrote:
Valdemar wrote:
Spacep0d wrote:Hi there,

Anyone know a good installer in Santa Clarita with reasonable prices, and who can help with pulling permits as-needed, and possibly dealing with HOA?

I have an unusual setup where my panel box is in downstairs bathroom (townhome) but I need charger in a garage separated by a small patio. It's not the best setup for a Level 2 charger install.

Any help is welcome!

Thanks,

Dan
Is there a wall they can run a conduit on to the garage? If not they'd have to trench and bury the conduit underground. Can get pricey especially if concrete is in the way.
I don't see any, but this is a good idea. I think the installer would either go outside from the bathroom or in to the ceiling and out to the patio and then in to the garage. I'm not sure how he would get from the patio to the garage...maybe through the wall I guess?
Going through the walls isn't too difficult. You can't run conduit in air however, it has to be attached to a structure. If your garage is fully detached your options are reuse existing wiring if you indeed have 2 circuits in the garage (count breakers for the garage on the panel) and live with 12-16A/240V charging, pull new wires through the existing conduit if there's one and install a subpanel in the garage, or trentch to bury a new conduit + possibly subpanel.
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB), -1CB(53.92Ahr)@140k/29mo,
51.1AHr, SOH 80%, 150k miles

9kW Solar

Spacep0d
Forum Supporter
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:14 pm
Delivery Date: 14 Feb 2019
Leaf Number: 309151
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Contact: Website

Re: Looking for good Santa Clarita Installers

Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:54 pm

Valdemar wrote:
Spacep0d wrote:
Valdemar wrote:
Is there a wall they can run a conduit on to the garage? If not they'd have to trench and bury the conduit underground. Can get pricey especially if concrete is in the way.
I don't see any, but this is a good idea. I think the installer would either go outside from the bathroom or in to the ceiling and out to the patio and then in to the garage. I'm not sure how he would get from the patio to the garage...maybe through the wall I guess?
Going through the walls isn't too difficult. You can't run conduit in air however, it has to be attached to a structure. If your garage is fully detached your options are reuse existing wiring if you indeed have 2 circuits in the garage (count breakers for the garage on the panel) and live with 12-16A/240V charging, pull new wires through the existing conduit if there's one and install a subpanel in the garage, or trentch to bury a new conduit + possibly subpanel.
My garage is considered 'attached', but it's attached to a small patio. Unfortunately, the panel box is in the downstairs bathroom, but at least it's downstairs! They really weren't thinking much about this in 1990, were they? It's also a 100a panel box so there's some headroom there for a 40a dedicated circuit for the 32a Chargepoint charger.

I'm dealing with a Tesla-recommended contractor (Chamberlin) who specializes in more difficult installations in condos and townhomes, and he's highly-rated (down in Long Beach). I have another contractor coming out to bid tomorrow (A&G) and is also highly-rated. I used HomeAdvisor to find contractors to allow self-selection out of what might be too tricky for some looking for a more straightforward installation.

As mentioned, I've gotten some wildly different opinions, from 'impossible' to crazy expensive bids, to much more reasonable contractors willing to tackle this job seriously (without price-gouging). I'm no electrician but I'm a pretty good skeptic. ;)

Thanks for the feedback and advice!
--
2018 Nissan LEAF S
^My First EV!

RonDawg
Posts: 3039
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:46 am
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089
Location: SoCal

Re: Looking for good Santa Clarita Installers

Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:43 pm

Spacep0d wrote:My garage is considered 'attached', but it's attached to a small patio. Unfortunately, the panel box is in the downstairs bathroom, but at least it's downstairs! They really weren't thinking much about this in 1990, were they? It's also a 100a panel box so there's some headroom there for a 40a dedicated circuit for the 32a Chargepoint charger.
If your total capacity is only 100 amps, you're likely not going to be approved to put in a 40 amp circuit, unless for some strange reason you don't have air conditioning. My 1300 sq ft townhouse with central HVAC (but gas heating/water heating/cooking) has a 125 amp and the electrician said that a 30 amp circuit (24 amp max EVSE) was the biggest he could put in.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar at 34 months/26,435 miles. Lease returned 2 months later. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F.
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL.

GlennD
Forum Supporter
Posts: 1493
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:14 pm
Delivery Date: 20 May 2013
Leaf Number: 410357
Location: Anaheim

Re: Los Angeles Metro Area Leafers

Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:04 pm

Do not forget for EVSE use you have only an 80A panel (80% of 100A.My panel was outside exposed to the sun and I could not push even 80A. But it was a FPE panel and it was replaced with av 225A Cuttler Hammer(Eaton) panel. According to my TED my total draw excluding Air was 13A. The city required at least 225A panel so I have a lot of reserve. When the sun heated up my old panel I tripped on less than 50A. (two EVSE;s one 30 and one 16A. Now I charge my B at 40A with no problems.
:
2013 Pearl White SL Premium
Traded for a Cirrus White 2014 Mercedes B (totaled)
2016 Urano Gray eGolf SEL w/ drive assist
Loved the VW but it sat too low for my old body
Back to a Cirrus White 2017 B250e
White Ioniq limited.It sits just fine

Spacep0d
Forum Supporter
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:14 pm
Delivery Date: 14 Feb 2019
Leaf Number: 309151
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Contact: Website

Re: Looking for good Santa Clarita Installers

Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:19 am

RonDawg wrote:
Spacep0d wrote:My garage is considered 'attached', but it's attached to a small patio. Unfortunately, the panel box is in the downstairs bathroom, but at least it's downstairs! They really weren't thinking much about this in 1990, were they? It's also a 100a panel box so there's some headroom there for a 40a dedicated circuit for the 32a Chargepoint charger.
If your total capacity is only 100 amps, you're likely not going to be approved to put in a 40 amp circuit, unless for some strange reason you don't have air conditioning. My 1300 sq ft townhouse with central HVAC (but gas heating/water heating/cooking) has a 125 amp and the electrician said that a 30 amp circuit (24 amp max EVSE) was the biggest he could put in.
Oof. I guess we'll see what they say. I'll take the biggest amperage I can get. I have an appointment with a Tesla-recommended installer this weekend, so here's hoping for the best. Maybe there's the possibility of upgrading my panel?
--
2018 Nissan LEAF S
^My First EV!

Valdemar
Posts: 2627
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 10:32 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011
Location: Oak Park, CA

Re: Looking for good Santa Clarita Installers

Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:30 am

Spacep0d wrote:
RonDawg wrote:
Spacep0d wrote:My garage is considered 'attached', but it's attached to a small patio. Unfortunately, the panel box is in the downstairs bathroom, but at least it's downstairs! They really weren't thinking much about this in 1990, were they? It's also a 100a panel box so there's some headroom there for a 40a dedicated circuit for the 32a Chargepoint charger.
If your total capacity is only 100 amps, you're likely not going to be approved to put in a 40 amp circuit, unless for some strange reason you don't have air conditioning. My 1300 sq ft townhouse with central HVAC (but gas heating/water heating/cooking) has a 125 amp and the electrician said that a 30 amp circuit (24 amp max EVSE) was the biggest he could put in.
Oof. I guess we'll see what they say. I'll take the biggest amperage I can get. I have an appointment with a Tesla-recommended installer this weekend, so here's hoping for the best. Maybe there's the possibility of upgrading my panel?
There is always a possibility given an unlimited budget.
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB), -1CB(53.92Ahr)@140k/29mo,
51.1AHr, SOH 80%, 150k miles

9kW Solar

Valdemar
Posts: 2627
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 10:32 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011
Location: Oak Park, CA

Re: Los Angeles Metro Area Leafers

Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:56 am

Another approach you may want to explore is a separate EV service with its own meter. Utilities allow it and usually EV electricity rates are lower than domestic. You will need to split the service at the entrance to this second meter which may be difficult to impossible to do plus this will need to be coordinated with your utility. I suspect this is not a very promising option in your situation but you need to know it exists.
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB), -1CB(53.92Ahr)@140k/29mo,
51.1AHr, SOH 80%, 150k miles

9kW Solar

Return to “Pacific USA”