Long Beach Airport - New Parking Garage, FREE Parking for EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtremeflyer

Just got confirmation that with the opening of the new parking garage at Long Beach Airport. EV parking is FREE! They do not have any charging stations yet, but the roof top is covered in Solar "trees" and they will be adding more solar to the terminal when they modernize it.

Free Parking is really nice because their long term parking lot used to be $8, then it went to $11, but now, there will no longer be a Long Term Parking lot because the new lot meets all their needs, so now parking is either $17 or $19. Ouch!

xtremeflyer said:
Just got confirmation that with the opening of the new parking garage at Long Beach Airport. EV parking is FREE! They do not have any charging stations yet, but the roof top is covered in Solar "trees" and they will be adding more solar to the terminal when they modernize it.

Free Parking is really nice because their long term parking lot used to be $8, then it went to $11, but now, there will no longer be a Long Term Parking lot because the new lot meets all their needs, so now parking is either $17 or $19. Ouch!

Nice! Great that you thought to ask. Well done Dave. :D

xtremeflyer said:
EV parking is FREE! They do not have any charging stations yet...
If there are accessible 120VAC outlets, that would be great to know--a car sitting can be a car charging. I haven't flown out of LB, but Jet Blue has a multitude of flights that interest me.

Thanks for sharing.

Yea I dont know with the new garage if there is any 120V plugs.. I love flying Long Beach, you can go parking lot to boarding in like 8 minutes.. and Jetblue is one of the best airlines as well.

Not yet, I asked on their Facebook page and they came back and said EVs are free, I wrote back and suggested they update the website with this information and make sure all the attendants are knowledgable.

Hopefully this will all be done soon.

Thanks Dave, I also love flying out of LB for the exact reasons you mentioned. Nice to know my favorite airport supports the EV movement.

z0ner said:
Thanks Dave, I also love flying out of LB for the exact reasons you mentioned. Nice to know my favorite airport supports the EV movement.

I think my question created the new policy since it's not mentioned anywhere on their webpage, although I'll never really know. People on Facebook had complained about the parking price hikes and they compared themselves to LAX. So I took advantage of that and said, "LAX has free parking for EVs and charging stations", two days later they responded that EVs are free, so they might be in the process of scrambling to create a policy. I flew in and out last week and the attendant had no idea, but that was in the long term parking lot that they just closed on Friday.

Would be very interested to hear if anyone does park here and manage to leave without paying.
Just used the LAX Terminal 1 garage and what a great experience that was. Charged up, free parking ($60 for two days).
Adding Long Beach to the list certainly expands the options for flights.

I just left a comment on their FB page asking how I can prove to an uninformed parking attendant that EV's park free at Long Beach airport. I'm flying out of there Aug 29 and returning Sept 2. Free parking would be very nice.

Yea, I had hoped they'd update their webpage by now.. for now I'd print out that Facebook comment if they dont update the website before you leave.

Parked my Leaf there this Monday. Stopped by parking administration office and talked to general manager to confirm free parking for EV. He was very nice, but unaware the aiport had posted EV parking was free on FB. He made a few phone calls and confirmed this policy was already in effect. He assured me staff would be immediately notified. I just got back tonight, ans sure enough, the $82 charge was waived per newly circulated memo. They took down the same typpe of information as LAX plus the last 6 VIN digits. Apparently I was the first to test the free parking policy. So go ahead, parking is actually free for EVs at Long Beach airport!

Parked here for 4 days.. I didn't know if free parking was allowed in both the $19 lot and $17 lot, so I went ahead and parked in the $17 lot (they aren't that far from each other, so it wasn't a big deal).. My total for four days should have been $68, but he had me fill out a little form and took the last 6 digits of the VIN. He called a supervisor to make sure he did everything he was supposed to do and I was on my way.

Six Blink charging stations, including one with handicapped access, are now live in the LGB long-term parking structure. Given Blink's current hourly charging rates, the utility of these chargers is limited for those taking flights out. Nevertheless, it's nice to see at least some chargers here. Didn't happen to notice any outlets in the LT structure.

Will enjoy saving the $17/day parking fee (long-term parking structure) for all-electric vehicles (BEV) only. Free BEV parking in short-term parking structure ($19/day) as well.

(photos later)
Long Beach Airport

JPVLeaf said:
Six Blink charging stations, including one with handicapped access, are now live in the LGB long-term parking structure. Given Blink's current hourly charging rates, the utility of these chargers is limited for those taking flights out. Nevertheless, it's nice to see at least some chargers here. Didn't happen to notice any outlets in the LT structure.

Will enjoy saving the $17/day parking fee (long-term parking structure) for all-electric vehicles (BEV) only. Free BEV parking in short-term parking structure ($19/day) as well.

(photos later)
Long Beach Airport
Thanks for the update. With the complimentary EV parking gone at LAX, it means going Jet Blue out of Long Beach is a bonus...

UPDATE: Free parking at Long Beach Airport for all-electric vehicles (EV) IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE as of October 2015, according to ABM Parking. Also the website for parking information at Long Beach Airport no longer states that Electric Vehicle (EV) parking is free. http://www.lgb.org/travelers/directions.asp :(

Back