Orange County, CA: Solar Decathlon 2013 at the OC Great Park

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPVLeaf

I’m marking my calendar for Fall 2013 (dates TBD):

http://www.ocgp.org/2012/01/great-p...-s-department-of-energy-2013-solar-decathlon/

IRVINE – The United States Department of Energy today announced that the Orange County Great Park has been selected as the site for the 2013 Solar Decathlon. With the award, the Great Park will work with the Department of Energy to stage the event and showcase energy-efficient housing and clean energy technologies.

The Solar Decathlon challenges international collegiate teams to design and build solar-powered houses that are cost-effective, energy-efficient and attractive while promoting the education and economic benefits of renewable energy and energy efficiency. Visitors will be able to tour the renewable energy houses that combine energy-efficient construction and appliances at a specially-constructed Great Park Solar Village in the fall of 2013.

“The Orange County Great Park is proud and honored to be chosen as the host site for the 2013 U.S. Department of Energy’s Solar Decathlon,” said Beth Krom, Chair of the Orange County Great Park Corporation Board of Directors. “This unique event fits perfectly with our vision and focus on innovation, sustainability and community engagement. We are excited and look forward to working with the Department of Energy, the participating universities and our community partners to put on an extraordinary event.”

The Solar Decathlon is a biennial event that was launched in 2002. The 2013 Solar Decathlon at the Orange County Great Park will be the first Decathlon held outside of Washington D.C. The Great Park was selected through a national competition.
And, http://www.ocmetro.com/t-Great-Part-to-host-2013-Solar-Decathlon-01-30-2012.aspx

The dates for the Solar Decathalon 2013 in Irvine, CA at the Orange County Great Park have been set for October 3 - October 13, 2013.

http://www.solardecathlon.gov/blog/archives/2026

Solar Decathlon Dates Set for October 3–13, 2013
Wednesday, March 14, 2012

By Carol Anna

Mark your calendar! The U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon 2013 will take place Oct. 3–13, 2013, at the Orange County Great Park in Irvine, California.

The competition houses will be open to visitors on eight days over two weekends. Public hours will be from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily:

Thursday, Oct. 3–Sunday, Oct. 6, 2013
Thursday, Oct. 10–Sunday, Oct. 13, 2013.

This free event will showcase 20 highly efficient, solar-powered houses in a specially constructed solar village at the Orange County Great Park. Visitors can gather ideas to use in their own homes and learn about energy-saving features and products that can help them save energy and money.

For more information, see the Orange County Great Park’s media release

OCGP media release:
http://www.ocgp.org/2012/03/u-s-dep...s-for-solar-decathlon-2013-at-the-great-park/

U.S. Department of Energy Sets Official Dates for Solar Decathlon 2013 at the Great Park
October 3 to 13, 2013 Event to Draw Worldwide Attention

IRVINE – The U.S. Department of Energy today announced that the Solar Decathlon 2013 will take place October 3 through October 13, 2013 at the Orange County Great Park.

The U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon challenges collegiate teams to design, build and operate solar-powered houses that are cost-effective, energy-efficient and attractive. The winner of the competition is the team that best blends affordability, consumer appeal and design excellence with optimal energy production and maximum efficiency.

The competition houses will be open to visitors on eight days over two weekends. Public hours will be from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily: Thursday, October 3 – Sunday, October 6, 2013 and Thursday, October 10 – Sunday, October 13, 2013.

This free event will showcase 20 highly efficient, solar-powered houses in a specially constructed solar village at the Orange County Great Park. Visitors can gather ideas to use in their own homes and learn about energy-saving features and products that can help them save energy and money.

“We look forward to the arrival of the Energy Department’s Solar Decathlon to the Great Park in October 2013,” said Mike Ellzey, Chief Executive Officer, Orange County Great Park Board Corporation. “This event will showcase the Park’s commitment to sustainability, education and public engagement and will bring economic benefits to the Southern California region.”

The Solar Decathlon is a biennial event that was launched in 2002. The Great Park was selected as the site for the Solar Decathlon 2013 through a national competition. This will be the first time that the event has been held outside of Washington, D.C.

Twenty university teams have been selected to participate in the Solar Decathlon 2013, including several west coast universities, including the University of Southern California, Stanford, California Institute of Technology, Santa Clara University, University of Nevada Las Vegas, Arizona State University and the University of New Mexico.

For more information, go to http://www.ocgp.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

About the Solar Decathlon
The U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon is an award-winning program that challenges collegiate teams to design, build, and operate solar-powered houses that are cost-effective, energy-efficient, and attractive. The winner of the competition is the team that best blends affordability, consumer appeal, and design excellence with optimal energy production and maximum efficiency. For more information go to http://www.solardecathlon.gov" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

About the Great Park
The Orange County Great Park, with its 1,347-acre master plan, is the focal point of the redevelopment of the publicly-owned portion of the 4,700-acre former Marine Corps Air Station, El Toro. The Great Park features an iconic tethered helium balloon that rises 400 feet in the air, providing an aerial view of Park development. Other features include the Carousel, Farm + Food Lab, Kids Rock Playground, Walkable Timeline, Palm Court Arts Complex, North Lawn recreation area and historic Hangar 244. The South Lawn lighted soccer fields and Community Garden will be added in 2012. For more information go to http://www.ocgp.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, that's one of the nicest parts of this event being so darn local ... not having to drive
cross-town, for once. Heck, we could almost leave the Leafs at home and just ride our bikes. :p

Just noticed there will be an "XPO Transportation Zone" at this year's Solar Decathalon.
A section will include a ride and drive. No mention of the participating manufacturers yet.

http://www.the-xpo.org/xpo/transportation-zone

The XPO Transportation Zone significantly broadens the scope of the Solar Decathlon and XPO. For the first time, visitors to the Solar Decathlon, a world-renowned international competition for highly energy efficient, solar-powered houses, can also experience an educational transportation component. The XPO Transportation Zone will include the GreenStreets Experience as well as a competition component that will be announced soon.

GreenStreets Experience

As part of the XPO Transportation Zone, the GreenStreets Experience will showcase advanced automotive technologies that are reshaping the landscape of personal transportation. Visitors will have the opportunity to test drive fuel-efficient hybrids and zero emission, plug-in electric vehicles. In addition, the XPO Transportation Zone will feature a large expo area for automakers and transportation-related companies to display their clean energy products and technology advancements.

“The XPO Transportation Zone and GreenStreets Experience fulfill a long-held desire to include more clean energy educational elements that visitors can enjoy while attending the Solar Decathlon,” said Richard King, Director of the Solar Decathlon for the U.S. Department of Energy.

The automotive manufacturers providing ride and drive opportunities are expected to be announced in the coming weeks.
http://www.the-xpo.org/media/transp...-at-us-department-of-energy-solar-decathlon-2

I sent an email.. waiting for a response...

BTW, looking at plugshare, there is local charging so none the less, let's plan for a Leafer's Meet!! :D

:( kinda bummer since this is a solar event... even the homes should have L2 there!

Jason,

Although we very much wanted to provide charging stations to complement the Solar Decathlon and XPO, we were unable to do so. As the event is held on the old El Toro runways, there is very little power within reach and what is available will be used to support the event. We hope to provide charging stations at future events.

Sincerely

Plug In America is looking for some local drivers to help staff a booth at the Solar Decathlon in Irvine in October.

We already have some volunteers, but we were just recently offered the chance to keep our booth up for the second week. So we could use more help for Oct 2nd-6th, but we especially need help for the 10th-13th.

This is obviously going to be a pretty savvy audience at the Decathlon. However, some visitors may know solar more than electric cars, or they may see the specialized race cars at the XPO Transportation Zone and conclude that electric cars are still science experiments. We're always trying to explain that these cars are here now and that regular people are using them every day. This message may seem obvious to MNLers, but we still have a way to go with the general public.

Our booth will be one of 50 or so in the SunShot Pavilion.
XPOrendering_960_360_s_c1.jpg

The Plug In America booth will be well-stocked with many informational items to give out, and all volunteers will receive a packet containing information about the organization, and some ideas to communicate to visitors. The most powerful statement you can make, however, is that you're a real-world driver and you're living the EV lifestyle now.

If you're interested, or have any questions, please post a reply here, or PM me.

PS: Hope to see some of you again at NPID Long Beach this Saturday

This sounds way cool. It's a bit too far for me unless I can find a reliable QC in route. I may still decide to come, but with an ICE. :|

One concern: If the gov't slimdown isn't resolved by then, will this DOE sponsored event still go forward?

DarthPuppy said:
This sounds way cool. It's a bit too far for me unless I can find a reliable QC in route. I may still decide to come, but with an ICE. :|

One concern: If the gov't slimdown isn't resolved by then, will this DOE sponsored event still go forward?

The organizers have been communicating with us regularly, and they haven't mentioned anything related to the shutdown. The public days start this Thursday.

We're still looking for some LEAF driver volunteers to help staff the Plug In America booth, especially from the 10th-13th. If you're interested, just reply or PM.

Thanks.

richard said:
DarthPuppy said:

The organizers have been communicating with us regularly, and they haven't mentioned anything related to the shutdown. The public days start this Thursday.

We're still looking for some LEAF driver volunteers to help staff the Plug In America booth, especially from the 10th-13th. If you're interested, just reply or PM.

Thanks.

No problems with the gov't shutdown and the SD according to City of Irvine press release: http://ht.ly/poBP7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope to be able to help out the 2nd week, but I am still hoping to
hear from someone about being able to bring some LEAFs into
the show.

Did you arrange for that in any way?

Thanks for the press release, Boomer.

Gary, thanks for the offer. PM me your email address so I can include you in the volunteer updates. If you could help during one or more of these slots it would be most appreciated:

Oct 10th
3p-7p

Oct 11th
11a-3p
3p-7p

Oct 12th
11a-3p
3p-7p

Oct 13th
11a-3p

Plug In America will be at booth #112 at the XPO SunShot Pavilion. We did ask for vehicle display space, but were told we would not have any inside the tent.

Have you contacted anyone at the Decathlon or XPO about the LEAFs? I will be there later setting up and can scope things out further.

Thanks.

Back