Valdemar
Posts: 2669
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 10:32 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011
Location: Oak Park, CA

Re: Quick Charge L3 in LA, San Bernardino, Riverside Counti

Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:21 am

There is nothing wrong with EVgo if you can justify their monthly plan. I find myself giving them preference over free alternatives as the latter are more likely to be found occupied or broken. However I suspect that the EZ charge program will start affecting availability at some point.
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB), -1CB(53.92Ahr)@140k/29mo,
51.1AHr, SOH 80%, 150k miles

9kW Solar

User avatar
z0ner
Posts: 497
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:16 am
Delivery Date: 18 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 0909
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Quick Charge L3 in LA, San Bernardino, Riverside Counti

Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:07 pm

It absolutely sickens me that the 6th St. Blink QC in Azusa has been down for TWO MONTHS now with no promise of it ever getting fixed. This was a symbol of pride for my hometown and now this vandalized eyesore lays dormant. Interestingly enough, the instructional video still loops even though half of the large display is a mass of spider webs from a brick thrown through the center.

I tried calling twice and was on hold for 40 minutes each time with me being "the first in line", but nobody ever picked up.

Sad.

User avatar
DaveEV
Posts: 6251
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:51 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: Quick Charge L3 in LA, San Bernardino, Riverside Counti

Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:43 pm

z0ner wrote:This was a symbol of pride for my hometown and now this vandalized eyesore lays dormant. Interestingly enough, the instructional video still loops even though half of the large display is a mass of spider webs from a brick thrown through the center.
I'm amazed that anyone thought it was a good idea to put a large TV in them at all. Just asking for trouble and what a waste of resources.
z0ner wrote:I tried calling twice and was on hold for 40 minutes each time with me being "the first in line", but nobody ever picked up.
Try sending an email or contacting them online. I did so a few weeks ago and someone responded.
z0ner wrote:Sad.
Even though I'm really dislike eVgo rates, at least they appear to be making an effort to keeping their network running. I'm almost hoping that eVgo will just buy out CCGI, though I'd rather someone else did to keep more competition in the market. It's only a matter of time before CCGI runs out of money.

User avatar
hill
Posts: 1870
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:05 pm
Delivery Date: 27 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 0659
Location: Lake Forest, CA

Re: Quick Charge L3 in LA, San Bernardino, Riverside Counti

Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:57 am

TomT wrote:I disagree. I believe that Tesla has a very strong motivation to keep them all working and to grow the network. It's Nissan that is lacking motivation it would seem...
What gives more hope to me is how quick Kia has been .... installing QC's at dealerships even befor they have cars to sell in some instances !! Compare THAT to Nissan.
z0ner wrote:It absolutely sickens me that the 6th St. Blink QC in Azusa .....snip....
say no more :(

tbleakne
Gold Member
Posts: 988
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:05 pm
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 2400
Location: Claremont, CA

Re: Quick Charge L3 in LA, San Bernardino, Riverside Counti

Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:14 pm

TomT wrote:I disagree. I believe that Tesla has a very strong motivation to keep them all working and to grow the network.
walterbays wrote:I'm skeptical of the long term prospects for Tesla's supercharger network.
I agree Tesla has a very strong repetitional incentive to keep their Supercharger network in flawless order. When individual units go down, Tesla usually knows about it immediately because they are fully networked. A user can report a problem by calling in a report and talking to a real person 24x7. If a whole SC station goes dark, people could become stranded, because out in small towns there is no alternative, short of a multi-day stay on Level 1, so problems get fixed really fast. In small towns I have never seen less than 4 stalls; in urban locations I have seen up to 12 stalls. Tesla is selling not just cars, but a system that can reliably deliver long-range transport without gasoline. They have begun opening SC centers in major urban centers much closer together than is needed by the 85kWh battery because they want their network ready for both the range and quantity of the Gen3 car.

I know "free" often leads to abuse, but the Tesla network logs the VIN of every car that plugs in, and they know where you live. There have been scattered reports of folks relying on SC in urban areas near their home to get free local charge, but Tesla has stated that they reserve the right to block repeated abusers.

Tesla has the flexibility to operate the network with a different model for later cars. A few 60kWh Model S owners have not paid the fee and are blocked, but Tesla has allowed some of them to charge at a SC in emergency situations.

Even though there are no displays, on or off buttons, or card readers to break down, the Tesla network could be programmed to accept payment for individual charge sessions. You would just do it from your iPhone or Android.

Another factor that is often overlooked when questions are raised about the scaleability of the SC network is their economies of scale. Each SC 120kW charge unit is composed of 12 single-phase 10 kW chargers, wired in 3-phase Y sets of 3, each identical to the AC chargers in each car. Each SC unit serves 2 stalls. Tesla is installing many more of the 10kW chargers in cars each month than in SC units, so they get a very large economy of scale. Tesla prices each 10 kW charger as a $1.5K retail option, so it is very likely that they can produce one 120kW charger for less than other brands produce a 48kW Quickcharger.
LEAF Ocean Blue SL, "100 % Electric" decals, Delivered June 3, 2011
Sold June 2014 27K miles, 18% capacity loss, 1 bar, 5.0 mi/kWh.
Solar 4.6 KW DC with both string and micro-inverters.

Valdemar
Posts: 2669
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 10:32 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011
Location: Oak Park, CA

Re: Quick Charge L3 in LA, San Bernardino, Riverside Counties

Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:01 am

The 2 DC chargers at CalState Northridge have been out for almost a month now with a temp error. Last time one of their chargers went out it didn't work for a number of months in a row. The transportation administration office responsible for keeping the EV chargers up around the campus seem to just ignore problem reports. I understand these chargers were installed using state funds. Is there a place a formal complaint can be filed which will hopefully cause an action to repair the units be taken?
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB), -1CB(53.92Ahr)@140k/29mo,
51.1AHr, SOH 80%, 150k miles

9kW Solar

User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10650
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: California, now Georgia
Contact: Website

Re: Quick Charge L3 in LA, San Bernardino, Riverside Counties

Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:21 pm

I spoke to them when I was there Friday... They indicated to me that they have had so much problems with them that they are considering yanking them out and replacing them with six L2 chargers, which would be lower maintenance and give them more bang for the buck...
Valdemar wrote:The 2 DC chargers at CalState Northridge have been out for almost a month now with a temp error. Last time one of their chargers went out it didn't work for a number of months in a row. The transportation administration office responsible for keeping the EV chargers up around the campus seem to just ignore problem reports. I understand these chargers were installed using state funds. Is there a place a formal complaint can be filed which will hopefully cause an action to repair the units be taken?
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Tesla Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

Valdemar
Posts: 2669
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 10:32 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011
Location: Oak Park, CA

Re: Quick Charge L3 in LA, San Bernardino, Riverside Counties

Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:44 pm

TomT wrote:I spoke to them when I was there Friday... They indicated to me that they have had so much problems with them that they are considering yanking them out and replacing them with six L2 chargers, which would be lower maintenance and give them more bang for the buck...
Valdemar wrote:The 2 DC chargers at CalState Northridge have been out for almost a month now with a temp error. Last time one of their chargers went out it didn't work for a number of months in a row. The transportation administration office responsible for keeping the EV chargers up around the campus seem to just ignore problem reports. I understand these chargers were installed using state funds. Is there a place a formal complaint can be filed which will hopefully cause an action to repair the units be taken?
How pathetic. I suspect the most trouble CSUN had with these units is the need to flip a breaker, but they are too lazy to do even that apparently. Is there any reason they can't somehow subcontract them to NRG? They seem to know how to keep their equipment up and running.
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB), -1CB(53.92Ahr)@140k/29mo,
51.1AHr, SOH 80%, 150k miles

9kW Solar

DesertSprings
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:40 pm
Delivery Date: 21 Dec 2014
Leaf Number: 319100
Location: Southern California

Re: Quick Charge L3 in LA, San Bernardino, Riverside Counties

Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:59 pm

CSUF is also planning on pulling their DCQC units out. Luckily, they just want to replace them with new chargers that are more reliable. 1 has been broken for at least 9 months. They're just trying to get the funds to replace them.

JasonA
Posts: 585
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 10:16 am
Delivery Date: 04 May 2013
Location: Sylmar, CA

Re: Quick Charge L3 in LA, San Bernardino, Riverside Counties

Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:48 am

TomT wrote:I spoke to them when I was there Friday... They indicated to me that they have had so much problems with them that they are considering yanking them out and replacing them with six L2 chargers, which would be lower maintenance and give them more bang for the buck...
How can "they" or Astrid Logan make that decision? Those 2 chargers were installed and placed with public/state funds. They cannot just "rip" them out and switch them to slow chargers. :roll:

Especially since they took the money and never maintained the units.
2012 10kw Dual LQ cooled Brusa powered Leaf "Astro"
13kw Enphase System,SolarWorld Panels, QuickMountPV- ALL USA!!
2014 Rav4 "SuperRav"with JdeMO (CHAdeMO)
2015 MS-70D

Return to “Pacific USA”