EVDean
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:05 pm
Delivery Date: 27 Mar 2021
Leaf Number: 310034
Location: Pinehurst, NC

First road trip in the Leaf SL PLus

Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:18 am

We took a drive to Wilmington this past weekend for a visit with family. Drove at 60 - 70 MPH with cruise control on about 80% of the time, climate control AC set at 72 F. Averaged around 3.5 kWh per mile. Two charge stops plus a level 1 plug in while we were parked for the day.

A couple of things to critique. First, the steering wheel position. The newer model Leaf has a telescoping steering column, mine does not. It would be nice to have a bit more leg room for my long legged six foot frame and still be able to comfortably reach steering wheel.
Second, the hard plastic section that my knee hits on the center console. This is a thing I experience on many cars. On a long distance drive that point loaded hard plastic against my knee joint gets annoying. I plan on adding some high density foam in some manner in the near future. I have a couple non invasive ideas for that.

Overall I'm quite pleased with the car. 8-)

[youtube]https://youtu.be/uo6fiah7pfc[/youtube]

DougWantsALeaf
Posts: 2691
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 8:21 pm
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811
Location: Chicago North Side

Re: First road trip in the Leaf SL PLus

Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:46 am

Thank you for the video. Any chance you will be trying a coast to coast trip in the car?
2019 S Plus (93.86% SOH) & 2019 SV Plus (93.35% SOH) Both Silver
2013 Leaf SV sold 2019 with 11 bars
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max Miles on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max Miles on 19 SV+: 242 Highway miles @ 4.5 miles/kWh

EVDean
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:05 pm
Delivery Date: 27 Mar 2021
Leaf Number: 310034
Location: Pinehurst, NC

Re: First road trip in the Leaf SL PLus

Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:21 am

If anything it would be to Phoenix. I have a brother there.

Triggerhappy007
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:08 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Jan 2019

Re: First road trip in the Leaf SL PLus

Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:52 pm

Have you heard of https://abetterrouteplanner.com/ ?

If you haven't done so, get a OBD2 Bluetooth adapter and Leafspy. I think on the Plus, once the Leaf says the battery is below 50%, it'll be a little more. So when it says you have 20% left, you actually have closer to 30%. This is what Leafspy will show you and other info too. Leafspy Lite is free and Pro is $15.
2020 Leaf Plus SV Tech & All Weather
2019 Leaf SL - traded in
2020 Pacifica Hybrid Limited AST

EVDean
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:05 pm
Delivery Date: 27 Mar 2021
Leaf Number: 310034
Location: Pinehurst, NC

Re: First road trip in the Leaf SL PLus

Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:10 am

Triggerhappy007 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:52 pm
Have you heard of https://abetterrouteplanner.com/ ?

If you haven't done so, get a OBD2 Bluetooth adapter and Leafspy. I think on the Plus, once the Leaf says the battery is below 50%, it'll be a little more. So when it says you have 20% left, you actually have closer to 30%. This is what Leafspy will show you and other info too. Leafspy Lite is free and Pro is $15.
Tried Leafspy. Doesn't work on my version of Android. I own an auto repair shop so I can connect my Autel scan tool and get a battery charge level from the same OBD PID as Leafspy would. Might have to try that for comparison to the readout on the screen.

knightmb
Posts: 940
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:41 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2021
Leaf Number: 306291
Location: Franklin, TN

Re: First road trip in the Leaf SL PLus

Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:04 am

EVDean wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:18 am
On a long distance drive that point loaded hard plastic against my knee joint gets annoying. I plan on adding some high density foam in some manner in the near future. I have a couple non invasive ideas for that.

Overall I'm quite pleased with the car. 8-)
I was going to put this in the Tips section, but I think it would be helpful for you right now because I know exactly what you mean. I'll make a more detailed post about it later, but basically, go to Walmart (or equivalent Auto store, etc.), buy a big, fluffy seat-belt cover that you can wrap around a seat-belt with the Velcro connector. Fold it over the side and you can wedge it up near the top in the hidden gap. That will keep it from falling off when you get up out of the car. Now you can rest your knee on something soft and cheap, makes a world a difference on long trips. :D

Image
2020 Leaf SL Plus - (Manufacture Date March 2020)
2013 Leaf SV (8 faithful years of service before trade in at 75,679 miles)

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 15639
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: First road trip in the Leaf SL PLus

Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:57 am

Interesting trip. Not knowing what your charge options were makes it hard to comment but stopping to charge with 65% SOC is something I would only do for a few minutes due to personal need. You got all that range so use it. As far as using the GOM to estimate how "close" you were; that is something that emphasizes the value of LEAF Spy. You say it didn't work with your phone? or was it the OBD?

I also did a bit of a trip as well tracking the relationship between LEAF Spy and the dash.

https://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2020/0 ... -test.html
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 19,653 mi, 93.47% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EVDean
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:05 pm
Delivery Date: 27 Mar 2021
Leaf Number: 310034
Location: Pinehurst, NC

Re: First road trip in the Leaf SL PLus

Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:12 am

[/quote]

I was going to put this in the Tips section, but I think it would be helpful for you right now because I know exactly what you mean. I'll make a more detailed post about it later, but basically, go to Walmart (or equivalent Auto store, etc.), buy a big, fluffy seat-belt cover that you can wrap around a seat-belt with the Velcro connector. Fold it over the side and you can wedge it up near the top in the hidden gap. That will keep it from falling off when you get up out of the car. Now you can rest your knee on something soft and cheap, makes a world a difference on long trips. :D

[/quote]

Excellent tip! Thanks.

EVDean
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:05 pm
Delivery Date: 27 Mar 2021
Leaf Number: 310034
Location: Pinehurst, NC

Re: First road trip in the Leaf SL PLus

Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:14 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:57 am
Interesting trip. Not knowing what your charge options were makes it hard to comment but stopping to charge with 65% SOC is something I would only do for a few minutes due to personal need. You got all that range so use it. As far as using the GOM to estimate how "close" you were; that is something that emphasizes the value of LEAF Spy. You say it didn't work with your phone? or was it the OBD?

I also did a bit of a trip as well tracking the relationship between LEAF Spy and the dash.

https://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2020/0 ... -test.html
VERY limited options so I would rather err to the side of caution.

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 15639
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: First road trip in the Leaf SL PLus

Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:13 pm

EVDean wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:14 am
DaveinOlyWA wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:57 am
Interesting trip. Not knowing what your charge options were makes it hard to comment but stopping to charge with 65% SOC is something I would only do for a few minutes due to personal need. You got all that range so use it. As far as using the GOM to estimate how "close" you were; that is something that emphasizes the value of LEAF Spy. You say it didn't work with your phone? or was it the OBD?

I also did a bit of a trip as well tracking the relationship between LEAF Spy and the dash.

https://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2020/0 ... -test.html
VERY limited options so I would rather err to the side of caution.
Ahh, ok. Hopefully Biden's push will eliminate the all too common areas of the country that have charging options of one...or else...
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 19,653 mi, 93.47% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “LEAF Gen 2 & Infiniti EV”