User avatar
evnow
Moderator
Posts: 11480
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:41 am
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: New Nissan LEAF Survey

Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:53 pm

jimgior wrote:Range is not the only strong suit of Tesla's, the battery does much better in Arizona, than the Leaf's
We'll have to see how the new "hot" battery performs. If it does well, without active thermal management, it would be a + for Leaf.
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

thankyouOB
Posts: 3583
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:14 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1442
Location: Coastal LA

Re: New Nissan LEAF Survey

Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:54 pm

jimgior wrote:
adric22 wrote:
thankyouOB wrote: Not necessarily. Nissan has already demonstrated a Leaf with a 48Wkh battery pack. Very few details about this pack have been released, but we know it exists. Tesla, however, has not demonstrated a Model-E, or even so much as shown us a rendering of what it will look like.
Range is not the only strong suit of Tesla's, the battery does much better in Arizona, than the Leaf's
i didnt write that. please attribute the quote to the right person.
may reserve/delivery 4/30/11
--
ECOtality/LADWP/ Blink 4/4/11
--
Gardena Nissan, msrp -1k
red SL with etec L3
SOLAR POWERED since 2008

User avatar
evnow
Moderator
Posts: 11480
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:41 am
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: New Nissan LEAF Survey

Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:56 pm

I didn't get the survey !

But $5k for doubling the range is very encouraging.

So, in 2017 we may be looking at

- $30k Leaf w/ 150 mile range vs
- $40k Model E w/ 200 mile range

What would you pick ?
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

User avatar
GIBBER
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:50 am
Delivery Date: 08 Sep 2013
Leaf Number: 409884
Location: Orange County, California

Re: New Nissan LEAF Survey

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:03 pm

jimgior wrote:
SalisburySam wrote:Got mine yesterday also, almost finished it, then it began asking the typical demographic questions about gender, annual income, and the like. Unfortunately, these required mandatory answers which I prefer to not do so I exited the survey and my input was lost to Nissan.
.
Yet you publish your license plate on a public internet forum... :?:
How is the License plate an issue? Most if not all states by now do not allow any information to be given out by the motor vehicle departments. California and others dis-allowed it long ago after that actress was murdered at home by a crazed fan who obtained her address via the DMV.
"You must unlearn what you have learned" -Yoda
200 Km Club

BoulderLeaf
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:58 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Nov 2012
Leaf Number: 016651
Location: Boulder, CO

Re: New Nissan LEAF Survey

Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:51 pm

adric22 wrote:
BoulderLeaf wrote: I really hope that they are planning on using the original LEAF battery dimensions as a design guideline going forward so that they can be as interchangeable as possible. Early comments from Nissan seem to support this. I hope this isn't just wishful thinking on my part though. :)
I hope your right. If so, we might see the new battery as an option on the existing bodystyle so we could see this on a 2014 or 2015 Leaf. However, I'm personally thinking less than a 20% chance this will happen. More likely that they will be doing this for a new bodystyle with more room for batteries.
A Nissan executive was very recently quoted as saying that the current gen LEAF will get "a reliable 125 miles" of range. I'm actually unclear if the second generation LEAF starts MY16 or MY17, but that could mean as soon as MY15 we'd see a pretty big boost in range. It isn't going to happen in MY14; that ship has already sailed as they are now sitting on dealer lots.

This touches on an interesting point though. Do we know what Nissan did to get the "hot" battery that will start going into MY14 LEAF's starting in April? Could this actually be a smaller version of the new NMC chemistry battery, if that chemistry is more stable and heat resistant? I would think that having yet another chemistry is going to be expensive for Nissan, both in terms of time and money, but who knows.
First LEAF: Blue 2012 SL, Delivered: 11/30/2012, Traded in: 8/31/2015
First bar lost: 8/14/2015 @ 29,450 miles

Second LEAF: Gunmetal 2015 SV w/QC, Delivered: 8/31/2015

Other car: Silver 2013 Volt

All powered by 10KW PV system

User avatar
DaveEV
Posts: 6242
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:51 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: New Nissan LEAF Survey

Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:49 pm

BoulderLeaf wrote:Do we know what Nissan did to get the "hot" battery that will start going into MY14 LEAF's starting in April? Could this actually be a smaller version of the new NMC chemistry battery, if that chemistry is more stable and heat resistant? I would think that having yet another chemistry is going to be expensive for Nissan, both in terms of time and money, but who knows.
The rumor is that they will be using a ceramic coated separator from Polypore instead of the non-ceramic coated separator they are using now. LG is already using a ceramic coated separator for the batteries going in the Volt. GM went all out in making sure that the Volt pack would last a long time.

DanCar
Posts: 1033
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:00 am
Delivery Date: 10 Mar 2013
Location: SF Bay area, 94043

Re: New Nissan LEAF Survey

Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:42 am

drees wrote:The rumor is that they will be using a ceramic coated separator from Polypore instead of the non-ceramic coated separator they are using now. LG is already using a ceramic coated separator for the batteries going in the Volt. GM went all out in making sure that the Volt pack would last a long time.
Here is a different theory: Given that there hasn't been significant battery loss reported in 2013 cars, suggest that the separator was added to 2013's and that the mid 2014 change is about an NMC battery. One minus against this theory is that Nissan itself said that the hot battery was mid 2014. But perhaps they are thinking of a very hot battery. A plus for this theory is that Nissan has said that longer range battery is coming soon and delayed LE and e-nv200 for the new battery. E-nv200 is scheduled for production mid year, right around the time that the new hot battery is suppose to be available.
2013 Leaf SL leased 3/10/2013
https://twitter.com/DanielCardena

ERG4ALL
Posts: 603
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:17 am
Delivery Date: 10 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000404
Location: Phoenix/Show Low AZ

Re: New Nissan LEAF Survey

Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:00 am

Hopefully, we will see the new battery sooner than later. I was at the dealership yesterday and because I'm pretty technical, they allowed me to speak with their top LEAF mechanic. They rave about this guy being one of the best in the country. When discussing the survey with him, I said that Nissan asked about filling the battery from 30% to 80% in 10 minutes. He indicated that the Pathfinder hybrid has a battery that charges amazingly fast and that it is an Li-ion battery that is very different from the LEAF battery. Thus, maybe the battery they are talking about in the survey is already in existence. Perhaps Nissan is now testing the waters to see if they can make any money off of it at whatever price point they might choose.
Reserved 4/20/10, Ocean Blue Ordered SL 9/30/10, ESVE Installed 11/22/10, Delivered March 8th, 2011.

User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10645
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: California, now Georgia
Contact: Website

Re: New Nissan LEAF Survey

Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:24 am

The requirements for a hybrid battery and a BEV battery are very different so it is not likely that much of the technology would carry over...
ERG4ALL wrote:He indicated that the Pathfinder hybrid has a battery that charges amazingly fast and that it is an Li-ion battery that is very different from the LEAF battery. Thus, maybe the battery they are talking about in the survey is already in existence. Perhaps Nissan is now testing the waters to see if they can make any money off of it at whatever price point they might choose.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

User avatar
jhm614
Posts: 920
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:48 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000493
Location: Arlington, TX

Re: New Nissan LEAF Survey

Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:28 pm

ERG4ALL wrote:Hopefully, we will see the new battery sooner than later. I was at the dealership yesterday and because I'm pretty technical, they allowed me to speak with their top LEAF mechanic. They rave about this guy being one of the best in the country. When discussing the survey with him, I said that Nissan asked about filling the battery from 30% to 80% in 10 minutes. He indicated that the Pathfinder hybrid has a battery that charges amazingly fast and that it is an Li-ion battery that is very different from the LEAF battery. Thus, maybe the battery they are talking about in the survey is already in existence. Perhaps Nissan is now testing the waters to see if they can make any money off of it at whatever price point they might choose.
I almost hate to admit this, but I would be interested in an EREV Pathfinder. Take the (assumed) new chemistry battery, drop 24 kWh into the Pathfinder, keep the supercharged 4 and that could be my next vehicle. Although, I did like the old body style better -- mo' butch. So maybe what I really want is a EREV Murano?

j.
2011 Brilliant Silver SL - 110,000 gasoline free miles so far.
4BL: 06/29/13 @ 27 months, 43,520 miles, 42.56 Ahr. New 12 bar battery: 09/09/13
4BLx2:12/31/16 @ 69 months, 99,475 miles, 42.99 Ahr.

Return to “LEAF Gen 2 & Infiniti EV”