Leaf 2 is going to be very nice looking : Nakamura

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1094830_2017-nissan-leaf-will-less-evness-make-it-more-appealing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Now we are aiming for a bigger number of customers, and they are not looking for as much 'EVness,'” Nakamura explained. “Some people say [of the current car], oh, this is too unique...we are covering a much broader range of people now.”
Nakamura said that to expand the Leaf's appeal to more of a EV-adopting mainstream market, it requires designing a nice-looking car, then adding more 'spice' in the design for the people who want it—rather than starting with specific design traits that call it out as an EV.

This doesn't necessarily mean becoming more conservative, the design chief said. Instead, it will be a very stable, nicely-proportioned car first, with special lamps, gauges, or trim that accent the 'EVness'—but only for those who want it.

“But the base model will stay a base," Nakamura explained. "Because some people are just looking for basic transportation—nothing extra—and some people want to have an EV simply as a unique, innovative car."

“It's going to be very nice looking—we're already starting on the redesign,” he added.

Opinion: If it doesn't look like a Lamborghini then it won't be very nice looking, it'll just be a car. Care more about being aerodynamic and spacious.

I think we should look at recent concept cars to get an idea of how Leaf 2 will look.

FriendMe

NI_mainvisual03.jpg

Lannia

NI_mainvisual03.jpg

Nissan needs to worry much more about its Leaf battery (size and chemistry) than "nice looking" new Leaf design.

I certainly hope it keeps Ghosn up at night as weeks tick away for Model III to make a splash.

It looks to be a 3 door hatch. It is very low drag: base Cd is 0.235, and it has 3 active elements that lower the Cd to 0.227. It is also light weight, in its plugin hybrid form.

Renault-EOLAB-5.jpg

Oh yes - supposed to be XL1 competitor.

Considering it is a sub-compact - it would be smaller than Leaf.

The important thing about Leaf would be that it would have to be a somewhat high car - to have enough space at the bottom for the batteries. That makes it difficult to get good cd - unless we are talking about a land barge sized car like Model S.

Infact, I think this emphasis on aero is all "wrong" (though mostly for conversions, not Leaf). It is better to get a car that has plenty of space for batteries and enough left over for cargo. In that sense, Kia chose a better car to convert than Ford.

ILETRIC said:
Nissan needs to worry much more about its Leaf battery (size and chemistry) than "nice looking" new Leaf design.

I certainly hope it keeps Ghosn up at night as weeks tick away for Model III to make a splash.

I agree.

I disagree. First impressions are made based on a car's appearance for most of the buying public, and that impression, once made, is irreversible. You could have 500 mile range with a 15 year capacity warranty in a $20k car but if its styling is inconsistent with the norms of the time most people will dismiss it.

Stop thinking like a smart person if you want to be successful in consumer product sales and marketing.

I am all for redesign but losing the high seat position, side and rear views or passenger/storage space is a big negative. all these designs will have to have a bigger footprint to maintain the requirements listed above

NeilBlanchard said:
Another possible look for the Leaf 2 is the Renault Eolab concept car...
I would hate to have to try to get into and out of that car. I found the low roof Volt very awkward to enter and exit and that concept car looks worse. I want practical, not sexy.

However, I expect to be moving over to the Model III when it comes out, so I guess the question of what LEAF 2 looks like is moot for me (unless they make it Supercharger capable, which seems unlikely).

dgpcolorado said:
NeilBlanchard said:
Another possible look for the Leaf 2 is the Renault Eolab concept car...
I would hate to have to try to get into and out of that car. I found the low roof Volt very awkward to enter and exit and that concept car looks worse. I want practical, not sexy.

However, I expect to be moving over to the Model III when it comes out, so I guess the question of what LEAF 2 looks like is moot for me (unless they make it Supercharger capable, which seems unlikely).

maybe I am just getting old but the LEAF is BY FAR FAR FAR, the easiest car I own to climb in and out of. I don't have trucks or SUVs but all my cars feel like I am climbing out of hole except the LEAF

I don't see why they couldn't take the current form factor, which I agree is very functional and comfortable, and just de-nerd it. Take some styling cues from the wildly popular compact CUV segment which is really not all that different from the leaf. Make it look a little "meaner". Start by giving it a grill, even though it makes no sense, that's what people expect to see on a car.

dgpcolorado said:

I Expect Model 3 to be more sexy and less practical. Even the land barge S has rear seat issues.

BTW, I've to say in terms of ingress/egress Leaf is nearly perfect. It is easy for even my 80 year od mother-in-law.

They'd do well to take the Prius shape and Nissanify it then slap the Leaf name on it. In practical terms that really means taking the Leaf and make it look more like the Prius.

The leaf to me stands out more than a Prius does, if you don't agree with that then go for plan T and just try to make the Leaf look more like a Tesla Model S.

Either way I'm OK so long as the looks aren't at the expense of range. Any redesign better have similar/better drag coefficient

.24 Tesla Model S
.25 Toyota Prius (gen III 2010-2015)
.26 Toyota Prius (gen II 2005-2009)
.27 Toyota Camry Hybrid
.27 Honda Civic Hybrid
.28 Nissan Leaf (2011)

Make it look more like a Model S or more like a Prius Gen III, either way takes you to a lower Cd than we currently have.

Back