Sway concept hints at Leaf 2 styling ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edatoakrun

Well, some of Nissan's recent styling hints look promising, IMO.

A few quick glimpses of the SWAY concept, to be introduced in ~two days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxKbBYYhZls" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.netcarshow.com/nissan/2015-sway_concept/800x600/wallpaper_01.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

+1. Sway is probably the clearest look at the Gen2 LEAF so far.

In general, the Sway looks fine as the new Leaf - except for the grill and the large air "scoops" on the front corners. It has video mirrors - which would be great. But it also has some very strong "eyebrow" chines where today's bulging headlights are, so maybe they are covering the possibilities?

The suicide rear doors (like the i3 has) would take getting used to.

tkdbrusco said:
Am I missing something or are those exhaust pipes and a tachometer?

This is a new concept car by Nissan. It gives us an idea of the styling cues that will be integrated into next generation cars. How much makes it into production and from there into the Leaf 2 remains to be seen.

NeilBlanchard said:
In general, the Sway looks fine as the new Leaf - except for the grill and the large air "scoops" on the front corners. It has video mirrors - which would be great. But it also has some very strong "eyebrow" chines where today's bulging headlights are, so maybe they are covering the possibilities?

The suicide rear doors (like the i3 has) would take getting used to.

Too much glass overhead. The current Leaf already makes it too hard to hide form the sun. I want better visibility around the A pillars, and less visibility of the sun when it is low in the sky (double sun visors like my truck would be really nice). Otherwise they could do much worse than that.

It is just a question of how do you want your cars to look.
- Mean, Angry and Aggressive vs
- Smiling, Big Eyes / Cute

I see in the US a distinct like for the first option - people (esp. men) don't want to be seen driving the second type. Still trying to live the alpha-male persona, I guess.

I find it note worthy the Sway press release does not mention a drive train choice. Vague makes sense though. Nissan is about 12 months or less from showing the LEAF2 concept (if its still called LEAF). They need public reaction (to Sway their design decision) without completely showing their hand to Elon who still seems undecided about "the big design concept" for Model3. Sway could be to LEAF2 as MegaCity was to i3. All the parts are their, just exaggerated to provoke opinion.

DesertSprings said:
tkdbrusco said:

This is a new concept car by Nissan. It gives us an idea of the styling cues that will be integrated into next generation cars. How much makes it into production and from there into the Leaf 2 remains to be seen.

Likely very little and no electronic mirrors. Seems like the concept cars we see in the US are the cars of 10 years past in Europe. Auto makers except Tesla are so afraid to lead in design and feel they must copy and be directed by consumers. At least the Volt was unique now it looks like a Camry. Consumers are so afraid of modern and futuristic designs here in the US, except when companies like Apple dictate the trends.

TRONZ said:
...without completely showing their hand to Elon who still seems undecided about "the big design concept" for Model3...
I think Musk could care less what Nissan does; but that's outside the purview of this topic so I'll press on.

The advancements needed by Nissan are range (read: battery energy density improvements) which is where Nissan is lagging. Maybe I'm missing artistics genes; but, I don't give a whit about the styling of a new Leaf as long as it doesn't look like a Japanese pagoda, can meet or exceed its current aero numbers and 0-60 times and can go an honest 200 miles at 65 mph in one charge.

fotajoye said:
but, I don't give a whit about the styling of a new Leaf as long as it doesn't look like a Japanese pagoda, can meet or exceed its current aero numbers and 0-60 times and can go an honest 200 miles
I think that's a reasonable expectation from the ..

.. er..

what?

fotajoye said:
at 65 mph in one charge.

Oh...

Maybe not..
But we can hope.. ;-)

desiv

Been hoping for three years; Lets see 2016 before a significant battery improvement; yes, that would be about five years. We must still be in the early adopter stage.

fotajoye said:
Been hoping for three years; Lets see 2016 before a significant battery improvement; yes, that would be about five years. We must still be in the early adopter stage.
I suppose that all depends on definitions of "significant".
I expect a number available announced of 200.
But I expect that 200 to be more like 150 real world, as the 100 we heard initially is more like 75.
In my mind, that's a twofold increase, which I'd consider significant.

Now, if it's more, that's even better. ;-)

And I hope the looks aren't too "normal." My wife and I both like the look of the Leaf (although she wanted Red.. I wanted "low miles" which was silver.. ;-) )
The "sway" looks are promising as a middle ground..

desiv

DesertSprings said:
tkdbrusco said:

I sure hope the stupid honking Instrument Cluster doesn't make it into Leaf Gen 2 production. Its ridiculous and huge. Its almost an insult to even consider such as thing; too reminiscent of an ICE gasmobile. After giving us Leaf drivers a super-clean and efficient LCD screen that we have now, they would dare downgrade us to this relic of a monstrosity? What the heck. I don't mind the exterior; it actually looks sleek, somewhat futuristic, a little aggressive, and high quality. But, they failed on the interior (at least to me). Hopefully they gut this and think clearly when they send it to production.

This lousy archaic instrument cluster, exhaust pipes, ICE-style Drive Mode selector, and the ridiculously unnecessary grille would rule out the Gen 2 Leaf for me if it looked like this, straight away! I can't understand why they'd ruin their Leaf after so much time and innovation through R&D?

I won't go back to lousy and archaic ICE vehicle characteristics. No way!

I will take a proper needle readout over the cartoon bubbles and bars any day. I especially prefer a dial readout for speed than the digital readout. Same for power use. I greatly prefer the Energy Usage pie chart display over the dash's bubbles.

dhanson865 said:
.....snip.............
"Kia tells us that the Soul EV will only be available in California, Oregon, New York, New Jersey and Maryland."

So for those of us in the other 45 US states the Soul EV doesn't exist as competition.

Though I hear they are selling it all over Canada, and parts of Europe. .......snip........
[/quote][/quote]Kia is not saying they WON'T sell the soul ev in all 50 ... just not yet. It does take a bit to get techs up to speed. I will say this for Kia ... They're supporting Chademo 100kW systems in the EU. I don't see Nissan doing that. But with a puny Leaf battery (even NEW ... much less once it's lost 20% capacity) why on earth would Nissan support bigger charge power.

hill said:
...But with a puny Leaf battery (even NEW ... much less once it's lost 20% capacity) why on earth would Nissan support bigger charge power.
It will be very useful if Gen 2 LEAF offers 48 kWh battery.
Save a half hour for 15% to 80% charge.

Moof said:
I will take a proper needle readout over the cartoon bubbles and bars any day. I especially prefer a dial readout for speed than the digital readout. Same for power use. I greatly prefer the Energy Usage pie chart display over the dash's bubbles.

Well, I don't think they're cartoon-like at all. They are easy to understand, simplistic, futuristic, and cleanly designed. Wagging needles are a thing of the past, and should be relegated to such. You can't even tell the precise speed with needles, only an estimate! And it's static, hogging up that real estate forever.

Nissan needs to stay with LCD and just drop a big rectangle LCD screen in there. The Tesla Model S, Volt, Current Leaf, BMW i3, and the Kia SoulEV all have the right idea.

We need dynamic LCD screens that can provide changing screens of information. Imagine if you just had two static gauges, a wagging speedometer needle, and a wagging battery SOC needle! Lol, what you going to do with that!

It's static, and can't provide any more info than what can be interpreted from it. What if Nissan does firmware updates, and wishes to change gauge layout like Tesla has done on the Model S? They couldn't at all with those old ICE gauges. They would just be stuck with it, forever.

Not to mention, it's easier to view your speed by looking at it with an "eyebrow display", rather than the old "through the steering wheel" arrangements. Even though you still look through the steering wheel for other info with the Leaf, in my opinion it's still better to see at least the speed at or close to road level.

But, we are a little time off yet before the official release.

Maybe, it will be decent, who knows.

fotajoye said:
... can meet or exceed its current aero numbers and 0-60 times and can go an honest 200 miles at 65 mph in one charge.
All we hear is "double" the range. So, it won't go 200 miles @ 65 mph at 0 deg. F.

The problem with aero is the interior space. If you want nice headroom in the back, the aero will be hit. So, if they want Leaf to continue to be a family car (not those who go after aero & 0-60 times) - it is not going to have great aero.

One other option Nissan has is to make Leaf 2 appeal to people with minimal interior space needs but want "manly" things like an aggressive posture and fast 0-60. Then, bring on E-NV02 with the larger battery for families.

Back