Leaf 2 to be revealed in Sept, on sales before end of the year

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

I know there are some posts in the other Leaf 2 thread about this. But this deserves its own thread.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1107590_nissan-leaf-leases-can-extend-until-all-new-2018-electric-car-late-this-year-breaking

Thiis from Brian Maragno, Nissan North America's director of electric-vehicle marketing and sales strategy.

"We think the all-new Leaf will exceed expectations," he suggested, "in range, technology, design, and value."

Moreover, lease extensions ...

The offer applies to any Leaf lessee whose lease expires on April 1 or later, both original lessees and those who have extended their leases one or more times.

For details, lessees should contact Nissan's EV call center at 855-467-3214.

Funny enough they are talking about priority waiting list for Leaf 2 - similar to Tesla.

In general, he said, priorities will vary depending on where the buyer is located, the model and features ordered, and a few other factors.

They have to match or beat the Bolt, but are a full year behind, if they match their schedule. .

eastocean said:
They have to match or beat the Bolt, but are a full year behind, if they match their schedule. .

Match or beat the Bolt? Too easy. Hell if you stick a 60 KW battery in the existing leaf it would be better than a bolt. We waited to check out the bolt before buying our SV. It was, tacky, noisy, cramped, cheesy, no Nav, and the seats sucked. My guess is the new leaf will blow it away. And most important it won't be a Chevy. All personal taste I suppose but no I don't believe nissan has anything to worry about. Tesla 3 maybe but it will probably be more expensive.

Jmho

Cool! :cool:

Glad to finally see an announcement about reveal and sales timing and that it will be this year (same year as the Bolt.)

Also glad to see us Leaf owners/lessees will get a bump up in the waiting list. Hopefully they don't pull a Tesla and require a bunch of money to get in line.

WooHoo! Now we can start guessing about range, battery options, and price!

If we concentrate on range and value, the current leaders are:
Hyundai Ioniq – 124 miles, $29.5K
Chevy Bolt – 238 miles, $37.5K

So Nissan could slot in:
Leaf 1.0 30kWh – 107 miles, $20.5K (just go ahead drop the MSRP while supplies last)
Leaf 2.0 42kWh – 155 miles, $32.5K
Leaf 2.0 60kWh – 242 miles, $36.5K

As long as the design is good, that would be a compelling, competitive line up. The only gotcha is the Bolt is probably still faster because Chevy cares about the 0-60 and handling but Nissan doesn’t (at least in the EV world).

jhm614 said:

As long as the design is good, that would be a compelling, competitive line up. The only gotcha is the Bolt is probably still faster because Chevy cares about the 0-60 and handling but Nissan doesn’t (at least in the EV world).
A base Tesla Model 3 starts at $35k USD and will have about 220 miles of highway range. I like my LEAF a lot, but for the same price as a Tesla ? Knowing the dismal state of Nissan's support of EV ownership and its handling of battery degradation ? Without a supercharger network ?

This hardly seems like a fair fight.

So I can order a Tesla Model 3 in September, for delivery in December at the latest? Great! And Tesla service centers will be springing up in New York, near me? Excellent!

webeleafowners said:
Match or beat the Bolt? Too easy. Hell if you stick a 60 KW battery in the existing leaf it would be better than a bolt. We waited to check out the bolt before buying our SV. It was, tacky, noisy, cramped, cheesy, no Nav, and the seats sucked. My guess is the new leaf will blow it away. And most important it won't be a Chevy. All personal taste I suppose but no I don't believe nissan has anything to worry about. Tesla 3 maybe but it will probably be more expensive.

Jmho
Not everyone will be as enthusiastic about that 60kwh Leaf in a head to head if it still lacks TMS. GM has a good track record with battery longevity so even if the Bolt is a little noisier going down the road at least it's still, well, going down the road.

The details of the 2018 Leaf pre-order list are still being finalized, he said, so he couldn't specify the priority rankings of those who sign up via the lease-extension program.

It will also be opened to current Leaf owners, those who have purchased their cars outright—whether new or as Certified Pre-Owned cars at the end of their leases.

In general, he said, priorities will vary depending on where the buyer is located, the model and features ordered, and a few other factors.

Those details will become available once the 2018 Leaf is unveiled in September and final pricing and features are released after that.

This could be a long wait. My lease is up in August. Waiting until December is one thing, but waiting until next August. . . ? Even with 3 free months. For a car I have no details on yet. Too many unknowns.

I really, really don't want to drive my 2013 for another likely-harsh Winter. Summer will be enough of an annoyance, range-wise. I'm hoping for a December delivery, unless I fall in love with a Bolt or Ioniq first. Nissan would be wise to release some actual pictures of the actual car, even if it's a pre-production version. There are two or three artists renderings of the car that was under wraps in the spy photos, that are probably very close, but I'm not waiting that long for an artist's rendering.

So, will it be worth waiting for? By August lease deals on the Bolt should be better, it has some drawbacks, but it's a known quantity. So far, Leaf 2 is this:

"We think the all-new Leaf will exceed expectations," he suggested, "in range, technology, design, and value."

So what would be worth waiting for?

Range: 250-300 EPA

Possible 300 with 60 kWh if they got the Cd down low enough?

Technology: V2H, I'd like to power my house in an outage.

I'm not ready for all the ProPilot stuff, still want to drive myself, but that might get me a lower priority if I don't order that package.

Design: Don't care much how it looks as long as the Cd is low. Power and a quick acceleration would be nice. Spacious cabin too, heck, why not vans, suvs, trucks, should have more models by now. Real gauges with usable information like kWh remaining and other, similar items I have to use LeafSpy for now.

Value: S 30 kWh $25k
SV 45 kWh $30k
SL 60 kWh $35k

Not realistic? OK, but worth waiting for. Who knows if there'll be federal credits by then anyway? It's an uncertain world.

LeftieBiker said:
I really, really don't want to drive my 2013 for another likely-harsh Winter. Summer will be enough of an annoyance, range-wise.

Agree with that!

How about other downsides of extending a lease? Two battery checks are free, how much for a third one? If I have to keep it another 6-12 months, I may need new tires, and right before it goes back? Plus, the warranty ends at 36 months, not that the risk is great, but it is there.

Leaf 2 is going to have really exceed expectations!

jhm614 said:

If we concentrate on range and value, the current leaders are:

So Nissan could slot in:
Leaf 1.0 30kWh – 107 miles, $20.5K (just go ahead drop the MSRP while supplies last)
Leaf 2.0 42kWh – 155 miles, $32.5K

I'd add the Toyota Rav4 EV to this list. Originally a $50k EV, has Tesla guts with a Toyota body.

Most used models can be found for under 40k miles and under $20k. Real world range of 110-135 miles. Has a sport driving mode and is a blast to drive. Good cargo space but is also the last model year body style with more aero features. The GOM is right on for the most part and it can tow.

My *minimum* expectations:

1. A battery warranty much better than 35% degradation allowed within 8 years

DNAinaGoodWay said:
So, will it be worth waiting for? By August lease deals on the Bolt should be better, it has some drawbacks, but it's a known quantity. So far, Leaf 2 is this:

Range: 250-300 EPA

Possible 300 with 60 kWh if they got the Cd down low enough?

Design: Don't care much how it looks as long as the Cd is low. Power and a quick acceleration would be nice. Spacious cabin too, heck, why not vans, suvs, trucks, should have more models by now. Real gauges with usable information like kWh remaining and other, similar items I have to use LeafSpy for now.

Value: S 30 kWh $25k
SV 45 kWh $30k
SL 60 kWh $35k

Not realistic? OK, but worth waiting for. Who knows if there'll be federal credits by then anyway? It's an uncertain world.

I agree on lower Cd. I was hoping for something with a lower roof line and a slightly bigger trunk while still keeping the deep trunk space. A frunk would be awesome too.

A hatchback model would be nice but still be able to sit 5 comfortably. Solar roof to charge both the 12v system and drive battery as well. Needs 200-300 mile range and quickcharge port.

A big plus would be TMS. They could finally charge for service and get people to come in for a fluid flush every 10k-20k miles? That is probably the biggest one. If they can keep the battery from degrading so quickly it would be a perfect car. Mine was trouble free except for the capacity loss being over 30% in 4-5 years is way too much. Unless they had a battery replacement plan or better warranty. 30% loss in range is unacceptable even if they have a larger capacity pack.

SageBrush said:
A base Tesla Model 3 starts at $35k USD and will have about 220 miles of highway range. I like my LEAF a lot, but for the same price as a Tesla ? Knowing the dismal state of Nissan's support of EV ownership and its handling of battery degradation ? Without a supercharger network ?
Choice is good for everyone...
Personally, I'm not a sedan fan, so even tho I accept that the Model 3 will be a very nice car, it's not my style.
I prefer the Leaf/Bolt look.

Also, there are still some QC (Quality Control, not Quick Charge) issues for Tesla. Have some friends with a Model S, and while Tesla has been great every time they have taken it in, the fact is they have taken it in several times..
And now one of their rear door handles isn't working (and if you know the model S, if the auto isn't working, there is no manual.).

On my Leaf, it's been rock solid...
Not saying all Tesla's have QC issues and not saying all Leaf's are rock solid...

Just saying that it's something to consider..

desiv

Agreed. After my experiences with Nissan, Leaf 2 will not be on my shopping list...

SageBrush said:
I like my LEAF a lot, but for the same price as a Tesla ? Knowing the dismal state of Nissan's support of EV ownership and its handling of battery degradation ? Without a supercharger network ? This hardly seems like a fair fight.

Back