2019 "60 kWh" Leaf e-Plus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edatoakrun

Not much news on 2019 LEAF since the 2018 announcement:

2018 Nissan Leaf debuts: 150 miles for $30,875, 200-plus miles in 2019

In 2019, the Leaf range will gain a second battery option, a larger 60-kwh pack, according to Nissan executives during a technical briefing held in Japan in June.

That should give the second model a range of 200 miles or more, and it will also offer higher power, Nissan said, at a higher price. The company provided no further details...
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1112503_2018-nissan-leaf-debuts-150-miles-for-30875-200-plus-miles-in-2019

One of the largest unknowns is which manufacturer will supply the battery cells, with a lot of speculation in regard to LG.

I wouldn't say the report (google translation) below is definitive, but if LG (or another Korean manufacturer) had been chosen to provide cells for the 2019 LEAF's "60 kWh" pack, You might expect that to have been mentioned.

In 2018, more than 300 kilometers of electric cars are running ... Most Korean batteries are adopted

Of 14 new electric cars to be launched in Korea next year, 10 electric cars will adopt domestic batteries. Only Nissan and Tesla are missing. The domestic battery industry plans to supply batteries to the automobile industry starting next year with a distance of 300 km or more.

According to the electric car industry on the 20th, Hyundai Motor 'Kona EV' and Kia Motors' 'Niro EV', which will be released in the first half of next year, will employ LG Chem and SK Innovation batteries, respectively. These models are classified into long-range type (60kWh) and general type (40kWh) depending on the battery capacity. For the first time in the Korean market, Hyundai and Kia have subdivided the model so that consumers can select mileage performance (battery capacity). Jaguar Land Rover 'I-PACE', launched in Korea in the second half of next year, will be equipped with LG Chem's 90 kWh high-capacity battery. BMW's second generation i3 'New i3s' uses Samsung SDI 33kWh battery. On the other hand, only Tesla 'Model X' and 'Model 3' are equipped with Japanese Panasonic products...
http://www.etnews.com/20171120000253

So, maybe Nissan will use GSR (AESC) cells manufactured in Tennessee, for the high-density pack after all?

I think Nissan is currently working on it. I believe in 2019 they will definitely upgrade the Leaf to increase the Range. Anything below 200 miles per charge will not make the cut in a year or two with today's technologies.

2019 "60 kWh" Leaf e-Plus, AKA Nissan LEAF Grand Touring?

Image at link.

Nissan to show 15 models at Tokyo Auto Salon 2018

NISMO road cars, 2016 GT500 MOTUL AUTECH GT-R among highlights

YOKOHAMA, Japan – Nissan will display 15 exciting models equipped with the latest custom and after-market parts at the Tokyo Auto Salon 2018, from Jan. 12-14.

The broad range of models showcases Nissan's world of vehicle customization. It will include grand touring concepts of the new Nissan LEAF, the NV350 Caravan and the X-Trail; the Nissan Fairlady Z Heritage Edition; and NISMO's high-performance road cars. Concept cars from the newly launched AUTECH sub-brand, featuring premium craftsmanship and sporty driving performance, will also be on display.

Another highlight will be the 2016 GT500 MOTUL AUTECH GT-R, the racing machine that earned its team and drivers the GT500 championship title in 2014 and 2015.

The Tokyo Auto Salon 2018 takes place at Makuhari Messe in Chiba Prefecture. Nissan's display is in cooperation with Autech Japan, Inc. and Nissan Motorsports International Co., Ltd.

The booth will host various events, including talk shows, and official Nissan and NISMO merchandise will be available.

Exhibits:
- Nissan LEAF Grand Touring Concept
- Nissan NV350 Caravan Grand Touring Concept
- Nissan X-Trail Grand Touring Concept
- Nissan Fairlady Z Heritage Edition
- Nissan Elgrand Special Edition
- Nissan Note e-POWER C-Gear
- Nissan Serena e-POWER AUTECH Concept
- Nissan Note e-POWER AUTECH Concept
- Nissan X-Trail AUTECH Concept
- Nissan Serena NISMO
- Nissan LEAF NISMO
- Nissan Note e-POWER NISMO (equipped with NISMO sports parts)
- Nissan GT-R NISMO
- Nissan X-Trail (NISMO Performance Package)
- MOTUL AUTECH GT-R (participated in the 2016 Super GT GT500)
https://newsroom.nissan-global.com/releases/release-3459ed449767a2e07b2e465ced005dd9-nissan-to-show-15-models-at-tokyo-auto-salon-2018

I too am curious about this 200 mile Leaf. The 2nd gen Leaf has terrific specs, a 200+ mile big brother would do a good job of covering the market.

What I'm wondering is How will Nissan stuff the 60 KWH battery into the leaf? My understanding is Nissan was able to retain the same physical form factor for the new Leaf as the gen 1 Leaf. How in the world will then get a 60 KWH battery into the same space? My guess is the chassis will have to be modified to do this. If so, I can't see an easy way to get the additional space. This issue is compounded it a TMS is also incorporated. In fact, if a TMS was used with the 60 KWH battery the modifications necessary might dictate that a whole new chassis be used.

There is also more room in the current Leaf than is occupied by batteries. There is actually room for a spare in the rear.

It will include grand touring concepts of the new Nissan LEAF,

Heh. Heeheeheee! How grand is touring when you have to stop every 130 miles to fully recharge?

LeftieBiker said:
How grand is touring when you have to stop every 130 miles to fully recharge?
My wife sips coffee while she drives. Stops every two hours are a given.

What’s odd is that Nissan is marketing a 2018 leaf at all with deliveries starting next year they could have skipped directly to 2019

Who knows maybe 2018 will be a short year for the leaf.

rmay635703 said:
What’s odd is that Nissan is marketing a 2018 leaf at all with deliveries starting next year they could have skipped directly to 2019
Not odd at all.

For one, the 60 kWh version is not ready; judging by their ongoing discussions who will supply the battery, end of 2019 is something of an optimistic guess.
Second, it will surely be more expensive than the 40 kwh model when they are sold concurrently. I'll guess an easy $5k price difference, and perhaps as much as $7.5k if they use a better quality battery and include a TMS

SageBrush said:
For one, the 60 kWh version is not ready...[edit]...I'll guess an easy $5k price difference, and perhaps as much as $7.5k if they use a better quality battery and include a TMS

There will never be a TMS in a car with the name Leaf.
Per my post earlier in this thread, the 60 kWh battery pack will be made by LG Chem (available sometime in 2019).

Stanton said:
There will never be a TMS in a car with the name Leaf.
Probably not, fortunately.

Stanton said:
Per my post earlier in this thread, the 60 kWh battery pack will be made by LG Chem (available sometime in 2019).
Possibly, but more likely (IMO) the 2019 LEAF "60 kWh" packs, like all other 2013-on USA-made LEAF packs, will come from the (former) AESC factory at Smyrna, Tennessee, though it may license the same technology LG does, and so be quite similar in terms of design and performance.

Hopefully, this spec for 2019 E-Plus version is true.
160KW motor, 225+ miles, 64 KWH battery, 11-22 KW onboard charger, 100 kW DCFC, and TMS.

https://electrek.co/2018/01/04/nissan-leaf-2019-specs-range-charging/

alfubig said:
Hopefully, this spec for 2019 E-Plus version is true.
160KW motor, 225+ miles, 64 KWH battery, 11-22 KW onboard charger, 100 kW DCFC, and TMS.

https://electrek.co/2018/01/04/nissan-leaf-2019-specs-range-charging/
Only the "225+" mile range is from Nissan, the rest is from unspecified leaks, and pushevs' sources have not always been reliable.

IMO, 64 kWh battery pack (with something like 90% of that total capacity available) and 100 kW DCFC could be correct, or at least close to correct.

But 11-22 KW onboard charger and TMS are both unlikely, IMO.

edatoakrun said:
Why the LEAF Gen 2 and not the 220 miles Tesla Model 3?

...Electek seems to be misinterpreting its source, which is this article:

How Nissan sees Leaf’s competition...
https://pushevs.com/2017/12/29/nissan-sees-leafs-competition/

...The Table below are Pedro LIma's (pushevs') projections, and far less certain to be correct...
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=515267#p515267

edatoakrun said:
...Only the "225+" mile range is from Nissan, the rest is from unspecified leaks...

IMO, 64 kWh battery pack (with something like 90% of that total capacity available) and 100 kW DCFC could be correct, or at least close to correct.

But 11-22 KW onboard charger and TMS are both unlikely, IMO...
A reliable commentator on the Kia forum has posted some un-sourced details on the 2019 "60 kWh" LEAF pack:

JejuSoul

...According to this article there will be two new Kia EVs released in October this year. Both with 300km of range. The Niro EV and a 'next generation' Soul EV. These two cars presumably have about 45kWh battery. I do not know when the 64kWh version of the Niro EV will be released. These will be the first cars to use the new NCM 811 cells from SK Innovation. The new NCM 811 cells from LG Chem will first be going into the 64kWh Nissan Leaf next year. Hence the Kona EV due out in April this year will not be getting the new cells (initially at least).
http://www.mykiasoulev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=540&sid=45ef4179e20843a0a0ee57ba81e1af3e&start=20

If correct, then the EPA combined range for 2019 "60 kWh" Leaf e-Plus could well-exceed 225 miles.

edatoakrun said:
[A reliable commentator on the Kia forum has posted some un-sourced details on the 2019 "60 kWh" LEAF pack...
Sorry. My comments about the future Nissan Leaf are not reliable. The source was a very informed poster in a Korean chatroom. The context was when the '64kWh' versions of the Niro and Kona would be available.

I know that the "60 kWh" Bolt EV has an actual usable capacity of 60 kWh. That the new Niro and Kona EVs are being advertised as having the same range 383km as the Bolt EV suggests that the '64kWh' label is not the actual usable capacity but the total battery capacity. This may be the same for the new Leaf.

JejuSoul said:
I know that the "60 kWh" Bolt EV has an actual usable capacity of 60 kWh. That the new Niro and Kona EVs are being advertised as having the same range 383km as the Bolt EV suggests that the '64kWh' label is not the actual usable capacity but the total battery capacity.

My speculation is that the Bolt / Niro / Kona EVs all use the same battery, purchased as a unit from LG Chem. Kia simply chooses to advertise "total" capacity whereas Chevy advertises "usable". The fact that Kia claims identical range to the Bolt is telling.

you really want to DC fast charge a non-TMS battery pack? More than 3 times in a row? At ambient temps in a lot of places around the world?

It's a complete and total non-starter if Nissan says it's fine DC fast charging and operating a 60 kWh lithium battery with no TMS. wow. There's a reason that more than a few Leafers are jumping ship.

C'mon Nissan! figure it out. why make all those Leafs (Leaves?) disposable? The level of competition is rising and I still see Nissan at the starting gate, wondering why they need TMS for longevity. Just get it done and compete!

The thing is I love my Leaf for what it is. But 20% battery loss in 3 years is not gonna cut it for my next EV. and charging infrastructure during that time frame? It's the same. pretty decent out here on the left coast but not even close to what it could (and should be) if Nissan would step up and support their EV.

Back