Page 74 of 87

Re: 2019 "60 kWh" Leaf e-Plus

Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:51 am
by OrientExpress
webb14leafs wrote:What would be fun would be to see how much regen you get during the drive down from tahoe. You probably couldn't do this since you had just charged. Did you basically stay at 100% for a long time? That is downhill for what feels like forever. I would guess you could get 30 miles of regen or more.
That was one of my interests as well, to see how much regeneration I could get on the downhill side. The car essentially started the long downhill at about 92% after going over the South Lake rim climb. For a good part of the that segment, regeneration kept the range decrease at 0, and it wasn't until Placerville that the free ride was over.

Re: 2019 "60 kWh" Leaf e-Plus

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:14 am
by webb14leafs
OrientExpress wrote:
webb14leafs wrote:What would be fun would be to see how much regen you get during the drive down from tahoe. You probably couldn't do this since you had just charged. Did you basically stay at 100% for a long time? That is downhill for what feels like forever. I would guess you could get 30 miles of regen or more.
That was one of my interests as well, to see how much regeneration I could get on the downhill side. The car essentially started the long downhill at about 92% after going over the South Lake rim climb. For a good part of the that segment, regeneration kept the range decrease at 0, and it wasn't until Placerville that the free ride was over.
So it didn't increase your % at all. I would've thought regen would get you up to 100%. Then again, people fly on that stretch, so maybe you can't just coast all the way down.

Re: 2019 "60 kWh" Leaf e-Plus

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:11 am
by OrientExpress
On Interstate 80 down you can have a net gain due to regeneration, but on Highway 50, your regeneration equals your use so it is like coasting. My range really didn't change until I got past Placerville so that was really a gain of about 60 miles. With the combination of regeneration and ProPilot Assist modulating my speed, it was a very relaxing drive compared to how it usually is with everyone jockeying into position for the passing lane stretches.

Re: 2019 "60 kWh" Leaf e-Plus

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:34 am
by dsh
Anybody with the new 62 kWh Leaf e-Plus have the same intermittent A/C blowing warm issue?

Here is the topic:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=26215

Re: 2019 "60 kWh" Leaf e-Plus

Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:32 pm
by SageBrush
webb14leafs wrote:
OrientExpress wrote:
webb14leafs wrote:What would be fun would be to see how much regen you get during the drive down from tahoe. You probably couldn't do this since you had just charged. Did you basically stay at 100% for a long time? That is downhill for what feels like forever. I would guess you could get 30 miles of regen or more.
That was one of my interests as well, to see how much regeneration I could get on the downhill side. The car essentially started the long downhill at about 92% after going over the South Lake rim climb. For a good part of the that segment, regeneration kept the range decrease at 0, and it wasn't until Placerville that the free ride was over.
So it didn't increase your % at all. I would've thought regen would get you up to 100%. Then again, people fly on that stretch, so maybe you can't just coast all the way down.
Uncertain; he said SoC dropped below 92% from Placerville.

Re: 2019 "60 kWh" Leaf e-Plus

Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 12:05 pm
by 2011RedLeaf
Wet EV:
Not quite how I would engineer it.


What you don't want is the car at the airport at midnight dead. In the rain. At 1C or 34F. With a stiff wind.


What you do want is a "check EV system" light turned on with a code indicating that the 12V battery is getting weak, and may fail soon. Ideally this would provide a few months of warning.

- - - - - - - - - -
It seems the problem in this case is likely to be failure of the charging system. For decades now, ICE vehicle have had ammeters & idiot lights monitoring the function of charging systems. This would catch charging system problems without detectable use of energy. Similarly, since the current load on the 12v battery at starting is much less in EV than ICE with starter motor, just having a volt meter check of 12V voltage with notification of >14.5 or <12 could monitor charging and non-charging state of the battery.

Re: 2019 "60 kWh" Leaf e-Plus

Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 4:22 pm
by GerryAZ
2011RedLeaf wrote:Wet EV:
Not quite how I would engineer it.


What you don't want is the car at the airport at midnight dead. In the rain. At 1C or 34F. With a stiff wind.


What you do want is a "check EV system" light turned on with a code indicating that the 12V battery is getting weak, and may fail soon. Ideally this would provide a few months of warning.

- - - - - - - - - -
It seems the problem in this case is likely to be failure of the charging system. For decades now, ICE vehicle have had ammeters & idiot lights monitoring the function of charging systems. This would catch charging system problems without detectable use of energy. Similarly, since the current load on the 12v battery at starting is much less in EV than ICE with starter motor, just having a volt meter check of 12V voltage with notification of >14.5 or <12 could monitor charging and non-charging state of the battery.
Both 2011 and 2015 have an indicator (red idiot light) in the dash to show that the DC-DC converter is not charging the 12-volt battery just like gasoline engine vehicles, but it will not show the actual condition of the 12-volt battery. I assume all model years have the indicator.

Re: 2019 "60 kWh" Leaf e-Plus

Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 5:23 pm
by DanCar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIGLVY8Crvg
Alex on Autos compares Nissan Leaf+, Niro, and Tesla. Leaf + comes in a distant last place.
I found the EV range estimates at the 5:50 mark especially interesting. Seen several of these and Kona always comes out on top.

Re: 2019 "60 kWh" Leaf e-Plus

Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:18 am
by alozzy
Odd that, towards the end of the video, he didn't mention that the LEAF also has a heat pump available and he didn't mention in the summary that the LEAF Plus' range is actually quite close to that of the Niro and better than both the M3 standard and the Bolt.

Pretty good comparison review though, thanks for sharing!

Assuming you can actually buy one, the Kona Electric seems like the best overall value. The lack of a TMS in the LEAF is an absolute deal breaker for anyone living in hot climates, although that would be less of a concern for me as I live in a mild climate.

The MSRP for the LEAF S PLUS in Canada is $44,298 and in BC we can get up to $16,000 in incentives (BC's ScrapIt program, for getting an ICE off the road, provides $6K; BC EV incentive is another $5K; Fed incentive is another $5K) which drops the price to just under $30K (excluding fees and taxes).

The MSRP for the Kia Niro EV is $44,995 with the same EV incentives available, so it's also just under $30K (excluding fees and taxes).

The MSRP for the Hyundai Kona Electric is $44,999 with the same EV incentives available, so it's also just under $30K (excluding fees and taxes).

Ordering a comparably priced Tesla Model 3 though is challenging ;) To qualify for the Federal EV incentive, Tesla created a software range limited, 93 mile version of the Model 3 standard range and you can't actually order that trim level from their website. For all intent and purposes, the Standard range plus is the "base" model when ordering on their website, which starts at just under $54,000 - $10K more than the others and definitely in luxury car territory.

For comparison sake, the Kona ICE "Essential" trim's MSRP is $21K in Canada, which is still almost $10K less than the Kona EV, after all of the EV incentives. Hope battery technology improvements reverse this current reality within the next 5 - 10 years...

Re: 2019 "60 kWh" Leaf e-Plus

Posted: Mon May 20, 2019 4:03 am
by SageBrush
alozzy wrote:For all intent and purposes, the Standard range plus is the "base" model when ordering on their website, which starts at just under $54,000
Tesla was letting people order the $36k USD Model 3 SR by telephone in the US; I don't know if Canada has the same choice. That would work out to ~ 48k CAD. It is actually a tremendous deal because the battery is a software limited SR+ size so you get the SR+ max charging rate for free and you can charge up to '100%' with impunity. And it is a full fledged Tesla.

As for the ~ 10k CAD price difference over an ICE Kona, I think you should count up what you pay in petrol costs for that car and consider your pollution contribution.