LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Re: 2019 "60 kWh" Leaf e-Plus

Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:06 pm

You have 98% remaining capacity. Ignore the Hx as that no longer gives any useful information.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

webeleafowners
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2015

Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:35 pm

Our 2020 Leaf Eplus SL doesn’t arrive till February ish. Once in awhile we will be making a 550 to 625 km per day trip from BC to Palm Springs and back. Maybe once per year max. We tend to travel max 8 hours per day and take two 15 minute breaks and a lunch break of around half hour or so. Would like to hear from others owning the Eplus if this sounds like a reasonable day as far as combining charging with our scheduled breaks. We will stay in hotels with Level 2 destination chargers overnight. We have been doing this trip for years in our Motorhome or Grand Cherokee but next year will be the first time in an EV.

Thoughts.

Thanks.
2015 Smart Electric Drive convertible.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KWh
EV only Family...well except for the big diesel motorhome. :shock:

NotATesla
Delivery Date: 23 May 2019
Leaf Number: 311925

Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:30 pm

webeleafowners wrote:Our 2020 Leaf Eplus SL doesn’t arrive till February ish. Once in awhile we will be making a 550 to 625 km per day trip from BC to Palm Springs and back. Maybe once per year max. We tend to travel max 8 hours per day and take two 15 minute breaks and a lunch break of around half hour or so. Would like to hear from others owning the Eplus if this sounds like a reasonable day as far as combining charging with our scheduled breaks. We will stay in hotels with Level 2 destination chargers overnight. We have been doing this trip for years in our Motorhome or Grand Cherokee but next year will be the first time in an EV.

Thoughts.

Thanks.

I've only had my Leaf Plus for 2 months and I don't now what others on the forum here think but I like using "A Better Route Planner" for determining how realistic a route is and what kind of stops I may have to make along the way. Here's an example of the route I think you're talking about in your post. https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_u ... 89dbd94f4c

What you'll want to do to see what might work best for you is click the back button at the top left and you can adjust your speed, rate of consumption, what you want your arrival and departure charge %s to be, the outside temps, and get a pretty good estimate of where and how often you'll need to stop on your journey. California has many many more charging stations than where I live (Ohio) so it's much more likely that you could make the journey without too much difficulty. The only thing you might have some concern about is charging multiple times in a day (rapidgate) but it looks like Nissan actually just released a "fix" for the charge throttling so that may or may not be as big of an issue by February.

My husband have made the 222 mile trip from our house up to Cleveland 3 times since we bought the car (note summer 80/90F weather). If we drive 65mph we can just about make it there (it gets hilly towards the end so it uses more energy), getting home if we started out at 100% we could for sure make it going 65mph but we never start at 100% from Cleveland since we're only trickle charging there. Getting to my point, the route planner I mentioned above was almost spot on for estimating our % upon arrival but that's really all I can offer, hope that helps!
2019 SL Plus Silver

webeleafowners

Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:59 pm

NotATesla wrote:
webeleafowners wrote:Our 2020 Leaf Eplus SL doesn’t arrive till February ish. Once in awhile we will be making a 550 to 625 km per day trip from BC to Palm Springs and back. Maybe once per year max. We tend to travel max 8 hours per day and take two 15 minute breaks and a lunch break of around half hour or so. Would like to hear from others owning the Eplus if this sounds like a reasonable day as far as combining charging with our scheduled breaks. We will stay in hotels with Level 2 destination chargers overnight. We have been doing this trip for years in our Motorhome or Grand Cherokee but next year will be the first time in an EV.

Thoughts.

Thanks.

I've only had my Leaf Plus for 2 months and I don't now what others on the forum here think but I like using "A Better Route Planner" for determining how realistic a route is and what kind of stops I may have to make along the way. Here's an example of the route I think you're talking about in your post. https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_u ... 89dbd94f4c

What you'll want to do to see what might work best for you is click the back button at the top left and you can adjust your speed, rate of consumption, what you want your arrival and departure charge %s to be, the outside temps, and get a pretty good estimate of where and how often you'll need to stop on your journey. California has many many more charging stations than where I live (Ohio) so it's much more likely that you could make the journey without too much difficulty. The only thing you might have some concern about is charging multiple times in a day (rapidgate) but it looks like Nissan actually just released a "fix" for the charge throttling so that may or may not be as big of an issue by February.

My husband have made the 222 mile trip from our house up to Cleveland 3 times since we bought the car (note summer 80/90F weather). If we drive 65mph we can just about make it there (it gets hilly towards the end so it uses more energy), getting home if we started out at 100% we could for sure make it going 65mph but we never start at 100% from Cleveland since we're only trickle charging there. Getting to my point, the route planner I mentioned above was almost spot on for estimating our % upon arrival but that's really all I can offer, hope that helps!
It does thank you. We stop often but only for short periods when we are travelling with the Chihuahua. Him and I have small bladders and I like my coffee. I can see multiple 15 minute charges becoming the norm on our trips.

Yes, there is good charger coverage between our place and Palm Springs.

Thanks again.

DougWantsALeaf
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811

Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:27 pm

My only additional comment is review plugshare before leaving as some chargers are flaky and come in and out of service.

Always have at least 2 charging options.
2019 SV Plus Silver
2013 Leaf SV
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max distance on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max distance on 19 Leaf: 242 Highway 4.5 miles/kWh (4.9 KWh remaining)

NotATesla
Delivery Date: 23 May 2019
Leaf Number: 311925

Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:07 am

Additionally, (I don't know how practical this is for you) but you might look into leasing/renting a 2019 Leaf+ if you can to try out the route before making the big purchase. My co-worker was able to do this before buying his Model 3 and he said it was the deciding factor in what he was ultimately going to buy.
2019 SL Plus Silver

webeleafowners

Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:40 pm

NotATesla wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:07 am
Additionally, (I don't know how practical this is for you) but you might look into leasing/renting a 2019 Leaf+ if you can to try out the route before making the big purchase. My co-worker was able to do this before buying his Model 3 and he said it was the deciding factor in what he was ultimately going to buy.
Thanks for the suggestion. I think it will be fine. Most of our trips are exactly 470 km and there are plenty of fast charging options in route. Our once a year (return) trip is at a very relaxed pace and the west coast is well serviced with Chademo opportunities. Our first trip down will be 7 days with some off route exploring. Even there we have scoured it with plug share and it looks pretty good. We’ll be using hotel destination charging often as well.

We actually gave them a deposit and I am very much a stand by my deal kinda guy. So it would take unusual circumstances for us to renig on the deal. Our dealership is top rate and our sales manager/salesman very good. Crazy wait though. 6 months. Wow. They have essentially sold their entire 2020 allotment of epluses already.

Thanks for the tips.

Cheers.

DougWantsALeaf
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811

Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:10 am

2019 SV Plus Silver
2013 Leaf SV
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max distance on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max distance on 19 Leaf: 242 Highway 4.5 miles/kWh (4.9 KWh remaining)

webeleafowners

Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:07 am

DougWantsALeaf wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:10 am
https://www.wuwm.com/post/2019-nissan-l ... s#stream/0

Another positive review.
Cool colour.

How does his review compare to your observations.

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:08 am

webeleafowners wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:35 pm
Our 2020 Leaf Eplus SL doesn’t arrive till February ish. Once in awhile we will be making a 550 to 625 km per day trip from BC to Palm Springs and back. Maybe once per year max. We tend to travel max 8 hours per day and take two 15 minute breaks and a lunch break of around half hour or so. Would like to hear from others owning the Eplus if this sounds like a reasonable day as far as combining charging with our scheduled breaks. We will stay in hotels with Level 2 destination chargers overnight. We have been doing this trip for years in our Motorhome or Grand Cherokee but next year will be the first time in an EV.

Thoughts.
-
It looks like over 2000 km each way. Are you planning on 4 days travel each way ?

Let's see ..
You start out with 60 kWh and reserve 10 kWh so destination charging cover 50 kWh of your daily requirement.
600 km is ~ 100 kWh daily use, so 50 kWh daily on-road charging.
I doubt that you can count on much more than 20 kW average charging speed so that is 2.5 hours charging daily.

If you can patch the car to charge at high battery temperatures the time to charge daily will improve ... at the expense of the battery.

Frankly, you are trying to use the car for a trip it was not designed to handle.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

Return to “LEAF Gen 2 & Infiniti EV”