2018 Order status updated

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canswim

Got an an email from my Nissan dealer this morning that our 2018 Leaf is scheduled for a January production date! They said we can expect to have our vehicle in 4-6 weeks - which is well ahead of the predicted April delivery date.

We are still not "committed" as we only put a $500 deposit down to get on the list. We don't finalize the contract until the dealer holds their Leaf Pre-Launch event in February.

We are in Ontario, Canada for reference and ordered the SV trim.

Awesome! When did you place your deposit, and what dealer did you order through?
I am in Peterborough, and ordered an SV in late October.

webeleafowners said:
Thank you for the update. Much appreciated. Can you give us an idea of the pre tax pre incentive price you paid. We are in BC but it would still be useful to know. In Canadian dollars of course.

Thanks.

John.

We don't have any specifics as far as price goes yet. This will be discussed once the dealer has their test drive event in February.

Spenny818 said:
Awesome! When did you place your deposit, and what dealer did you order through?
I am in Peterborough, and ordered an SV in late October.

We are in Kingston and placed our deposit in October as well. Hopefully you get an update soon as well!

Now onto looking into chargers and a possible panel upgrade...eeep.

I'm already getting emails from Nissan promoting a $229/month lease deals with $3900 down. I can't afford that, but it doesn't seem too bad if you're in the market and have the cash.

Do we have to first select a dealer in order to put down the deposit?
In 2009 we placed our deposit with Nissan., and only in 2010 did we have to select the dealer. That helped us negotiate a better deal.

Any advice on getting the best deal buying a 2018 SL?

Thanks
Shaun

At this point your best bet is to take a copy of the national lease offer to your dealer, and ask them to do a little better. Given a clean slate, almost all dealers will come up with a worse deal than the national one. Just remember to calculate the total cost over the life of the lease for each offer, including all fees but ignoring the residual and money factor. If the deal looks almost good, then look at the money factor.

Do we have any idea what Lease rates/residuals and depreciation costs and all that fun stuff are yet?

The Chevy Bolt was depressing, GM quoted me with 34% residual over 3 years and 30% residual for 4 years... At that point, might as well buy the car instead of leasing...

Hoping to see some better numbers with the Leaf!

I should point out, I'm located in South Western Ontario Canada.

nerk said:
Do we have any idea what Lease rates/residuals and depreciation costs and all that fun stuff are yet?

The Chevy Bolt was depressing, GM quoted me with 34% residual over 3 years and 30% residual for 4 years... At that point, might as well buy the car instead of leasing...

Hoping to see some better numbers with the Leaf!

I should point out, I'm located in South Western Ontario Canada.

The 2018 Leaf residual is the 32% for 3/12,000miles. This is based on their current US lease offer where they clearly state the residual. I'm not sure if there is a difference in residual between Canada and the U.S.

The Bolt now have factory incentives to bring down the Cap cost and the Nissan won't until they need to at some point in the future.

Right now, unfortunately, unless you are getting the S, the lease rate for a SV or SL will be about the same if not worse.

nerk said:
So better off buying then rather than leasing...

Buying and leasing as far as being better off, depends on the individual's situation. I never leased before EV's. Now I lease EV's as it gives me the ability to move to something else in 3 years or buy at that point. I don't know how the battery will fare and I don't know if there will be something in the market that I'd rather have three years into the future.

If you do the calculation, it usually costs more to lease and then buyout a lease so if you're absolutely certain that you're keeping the car, buying is better. However buying and trading in is worse than leasing, especially if your local government charges you a non refundable sales tax at purchase. Leasing here, you only pay sales tax on the lease payments instead of the whole car's value.

Keep in mind that a low residual also means that your lease buyout is going to be low.

I suppose you're correct, different people with different intentions, different decisions

but in my mind I view it as, paying 70% of the vehicles value in 3 years, then jumping into another lease and doing the same,... Why not just buy it and sell it privately in ~4 years... cause at that point your car is valued at 0$ based on that rate... I may be off a tad, and I'm sure there's other things to consider

But take this figures in for example,... 30% of $50,000 is $15,000,... which means your car is depreciating at a static rate of $1000 a month,... after 50 months, your car is worth 0$ using this rate... I'm almost positive someone would buy a 4 year old car EV for $10,000, considering the battery warranty is only half its age...

Again, I may be missing something here (like interest rates etc)... But the SV Leaf I was quoted came up to about $48,000 with taxes, before incentives... So that's why I used the $50,000 rounded number (it will probably be more with interest)...

makes sense?

nerk said:
I suppose you're correct, different people with different intentions, different decisions

but in my mind I view it as, paying 70% of the vehicles value in 3 years, then jumping into another lease and doing the same,... Why not just buy it and sell it privately in ~4 years... cause at that point your car is valued at 0$ based on that rate... I may be off a tad, and I'm sure there's other things to consider

But take this figures in for example,... 30% of $50,000 is $15,000,... which means your car is depreciating at a static rate of $1000 a month,... after 50 months, your car is worth 0$ using this rate... I'm almost positive someone would buy a 4 year old car EV for $10,000, considering the battery warranty is only half its age...

Again, I may be missing something here (like interest rates etc)... But the SV Leaf I was quoted came up to about $48,000 with taxes, before incentives... So that's why I used the $50,000 rounded number (it will probably be more with interest)...

makes sense?

Makes sense.

The what sways the balance in favor of "losing" that 67% and turning in a lease is the rebates and credits worth $10,000. If I were to take out a loan at the end of lease of my EV and keep the car for another 3 years, my monthly payment would not be much lower than the monthly for the lease on a new car. A new car that has more technology, range, and a full warranty. In essence, my monthly stays the same whether I turn in for new or continue with a loan. If you keep the car beyond a total of 6 years, that where the savings would start to show up, but now the car's battery poses a financial risk. It may prove reliable or it may end up costing a significant amount to replace.

Our rebate is $14000,... Also something I didn't factor in... You get the full rebate if your purchase or lease for 3 or more years... leasing for 1 or 2 years is a percentage of the $14000.

Also, depending on the dealership, some take it right off the invoice, others make you fill in your own paperwork and you wait for the government to process it which could take up to 4 months I heard. But then you get a fat cheque in the mail and you do what you want with it... Doesn't necessary have to be applied towards the vehicle..

Interesting, I places my order the last week of November here in Chilliwack BC. I have not heard that my car is scheduleded. The dealer said that 2 Leaf’s showed on their order inventory, but nothing specific..

For the fellow that asked about incentives here in BC, I received the$5000 dollar grant for EV purchase but the thing that tipped it for me was the $6000 Scarp-It deal for my 1995 Subaru that was on its last legs. I would have not gotten $500 for it on trade.

I will drop by the dealer today and see if there is any news yet.

BP

rparry51 said:
Interesting, I places my order the last week of November here in Chilliwack BC. I have not heard that my car is scheduleded. The dealer said that 2 Leaf’s showed on their order inventory, but nothing specific..

For the fellow that asked about incentives here in BC, I received the$5000 dollar grant for EV purchase but the thing that tipped it for me was the $6000 Scarp-It deal for my 1995 Subaru that was on its last legs. I would have not gotten $500 for it on trade.

I will drop by the dealer today and see if there is any news yet.

BP
What happened?

I have a VIN number and status is in Production. Looking for delivery hopefully first week of March.
The salesman searched and as of last Saturday there were 9 LEAFs on the ground as he put it All in
southern Ontario.

So slowly but surely?

Bob

rparry51 said:
I have a VIN number and status is in Production. Looking for delivery hopefully first week of March.
The salesman searched and as of last Saturday there were 9 LEAFs on the ground as he put it All in
southern Ontario.

So slowly but surely?

Bob

My actual order hasn't even been built yet so I changed options and picked up Blue S with QC and climate.

But I go to select my gift and it errored out (mostly because my order number is still prob pending) so I had to call it in with VIN and they will investigate.... *sigh*

But I am not worried about when my gift arrives. I ordered Pixel XL 2 during Black Friday week and was supposed to get $100 bill credit (still pending) and a Google home spy... or whatever its called and still waiting on that.

If you weren't aware, Amazon was not the only business completely overwhelmed at Christmas last year. I sold my Pixel XL back which has Li battery so simply can't be mailed out without special packaging and that took 2 ½ months despite their online claim of "within 5 business days"

Back