kmartyn
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:38 am
Delivery Date: 15 Aug 2014

Re: Everything you might want to know about the '18 LEAF engineering

Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:55 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
kmartyn wrote:Just got a new 2018 SV in Canada. The dealer tells me, they no longer us 3G or any cellular data. Instead they use satellite radio data to save costs and data charges. Can anybody else confirm this? It might explain the slow performance of the app.
Canada could be different but they are using 4G here
Does that mean your Nissan Leaf has a SIM card?

Marty
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:39 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Mar 2018
Leaf Number: 305053
Location: Connecticut

Re: Everything you might want to know about the '18 LEAF engineering

Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:50 am

[bI don't think that Nissan could just put a cooling plate on the bottom of the existing batteries. Some batteries are stacked on top of each other and wouldn't be touching the cooling plate. A different battery layout may be needed for proper battery temp maintance. This Nissan wasn't ready to do that. They pumped out more of the basicly the same type of battery layout and made a business desision to take a chance. [/b]

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 14878
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Everything you might want to know about the '18 LEAF engineering

Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:24 am

Marty wrote:[bI don't think that Nissan could just put a cooling plate on the bottom of the existing batteries. Some batteries are stacked on top of each other and wouldn't be touching the cooling plate. A different battery layout may be needed for proper battery temp maintance. This Nissan wasn't ready to do that. They pumped out more of the basicly the same type of battery layout and made a business desision to take a chance. [/b]
Do you have a drawing showing double stacked modules? When did this start?
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 11,333.1 mi, 93.73% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 15037
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Everything you might want to know about the '18 LEAF engineering

Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:31 pm

Do you have a drawing showing double stacked modules? When did this start?
The double modules started with the infamous 30kwh packs. They probably made the internal layout even more dense for the 40kwh packs.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 15037
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Everything you might want to know about the '18 LEAF engineering

Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:41 pm

I didn't want to start a whole topic on this. Under accessories Nissan lists 'Nissan WiFi and Apps' for $450. Is this a WiFi hotspot option? Hopefully you don't have to get this to have full remote access to the car, right...?
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

User avatar
OrientExpress
Posts: 1560
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:22 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331
Location: San Jose, Ca

Re: Everything you might want to know about the '18 LEAF engineering

Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:43 am

kmartyn wrote:Just got a new 2018 SV in Canada. The dealer tells me, they no longer us 3G or any cellular data. Instead they use satellite radio data to save costs and data charges. Can anybody else confirm this? It might explain the slow performance of the app.
Yes, SirusXM is not the data provider for US and Canada
2018 LEAF SL
Gun Metalic
Delivery April 10 2018

Prior LEAF:
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
50,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

maxholland
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:14 am
Delivery Date: 13 Jun 2018

Re: Everything you might want to know about the '18 LEAF engineering

Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:21 pm

For all 2018 Leaf owners or possible future owners who are planning for long trips and want definitive information about what happens with heat and charge throttling, check out this new article on Cleantechnica:

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/07/16/20 ... -the-heat/

Jump in the comments there with your own experience and questions!

User avatar
OrientExpress
Posts: 1560
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:22 pm
Delivery Date: 10 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2331
Location: San Jose, Ca

Re: Everything you might want to know about the '18 LEAF engineering

Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:45 pm

For all 2018 Leaf owners or possible future owners who are planning for long trips and want definitive information about what happens with heat and charge throttling, from an actual owner, I would suggest this article.
2018 LEAF SL
Gun Metalic
Delivery April 10 2018

Prior LEAF:
2014 LEAF SV
Ocean Blue
Delivery May 23 2014
50,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

HRTKD
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:37 am
Delivery Date: 07 Jul 2017

Re: Everything you might want to know about the '18 LEAF engineering

Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:09 pm

Does the Gen 2 Leaf have a way to actively cool the batteries? I think I read a common complaint about the Gen 1 Leaf was that there was no cooling. I was perusing the owner's manual for my 2019 Leaf and read something that made me think that the Gen 2 had a way to actively cool the batteries. I would post the section from the manual but I can't find it now. :(
2019 Leaf SV+ with Tech and Weather packages
2015 Leaf S (Totaled 10/2019)
2017 Ford F-350 CCLB 6.7L SRW 4x4

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 15037
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Everything you might want to know about the '18 LEAF engineering

Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:11 pm

HRTKD wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:09 pm
Does the Gen 2 Leaf have a way to actively cool the batteries? I think I read a common complaint about the Gen 1 Leaf was that there was no cooling. I was perusing the owner's manual for my 2019 Leaf and read something that made me think that the Gen 2 had a way to actively cool the batteries. I would post the section from the manual but I can't find it now. :(
No active cooling (aka TMS).
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “LEAF Gen 2 & Infiniti EV”