coleafrado
Posts: 279
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:58 pm

Re: Please Report 2018 - 2020 Leaf Defects Here

Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:43 pm

Rhcanleaf wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:36 pm
Defective battery pack
2018 SL, built 08/2018 in USA.
A few months ago the car started showing a noticeable range decrease.
When the car is charged to 100%, the dash shows a range of 241km (150miles) and the range decreases steadily till just below 80%. Below 80%, the range starts decreasing rapidly, at about triple the rate of when the battery is fully charged. Basically, same distance driven (40km) from 100% to 80% takes the battery from 80% to 25%. The overall range of the car is just over 100km (63 miles) which is way below the specs, even when taking into account the winter weather which has been mild this year.
Recently got myself a LS pro, which shows a "weak cell: 24" with a 268mV difference when fully charged (SOC 94.2%). At 20% on the dash LS SOC is at 51% and the difference for the weak cell is 110mV.
The dealership is sympathetic but told me that the Nissan corporate technicians who they have been consulting with consider the imbalance in cell voltage to be within tolerance and will not service the battery without a trouble code. They suggested reprogramming which hasn't made much of a difference for the overall range.
AHr=107.13, SOH=92.80%, Hx=111.46%
Odometer 29,032km (18,040 miles).
Has this been fully addressed yet?

Rhcanleaf
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:39 pm
Delivery Date: 23 Aug 2018
Leaf Number: 316348
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Please Report 2018 - 2020 Leaf Defects Here

Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:36 am

Not fixed yet. The dealership reprogrammed the car. That of course didn't fix anything. I'm dropping off the car at the dealership again today for a few days so that they can drive it and observe the pathetic range for themselves. If this doesn't result in a warranty fix I am going to pursue a legal action against Nissan Canada.

coleafrado wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:43 pm
Rhcanleaf wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:36 pm
Defective battery pack
2018 SL, built 08/2018 in USA.
A few months ago the car started showing a noticeable range decrease.
When the car is charged to 100%, the dash shows a range of 241km (150miles) and the range decreases steadily till just below 80%. Below 80%, the range starts decreasing rapidly, at about triple the rate of when the battery is fully charged. Basically, same distance driven (40km) from 100% to 80% takes the battery from 80% to 25%. The overall range of the car is just over 100km (63 miles) which is way below the specs, even when taking into account the winter weather which has been mild this year.
Recently got myself a LS pro, which shows a "weak cell: 24" with a 268mV difference when fully charged (SOC 94.2%). At 20% on the dash LS SOC is at 51% and the difference for the weak cell is 110mV.
The dealership is sympathetic but told me that the Nissan corporate technicians who they have been consulting with consider the imbalance in cell voltage to be within tolerance and will not service the battery without a trouble code. They suggested reprogramming which hasn't made much of a difference for the overall range.
AHr=107.13, SOH=92.80%, Hx=111.46%
Odometer 29,032km (18,040 miles).
Has this been fully addressed yet?

HRTKD
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:37 am
Delivery Date: 07 Jul 2017

Re: Please Report 2018 - 2020 Leaf Defects Here

Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:01 am

HRTKD wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:32 pm
My 2019 is less than 90 days old with almost 2,000 miles on it. I've been hearing a faint clunk every once in a while. I thought it was coming from the front passenger area. A quick inspection of the suspension with the wheel off shows nothing obvious. I have yet to be able to reproduce the issue consistently. I'll try hitting bumps while turning to see if it's similar to what jdcbomb has posted.

The charging port door froze closed once. A subsequent treatment of the gasket material with Krytox seems to have helped. My car gets washed as soon as possible after a snowstorm, so I definitely get water all over the place.

No other issues worth bringing up. I really like the car. Better than my 2015.
I took my Leaf in for the clunk and I don't know if it's been resolved or not. The dealership's response was that the lug nuts weren't tight enough. The service writer gave me a TSB printout showing that the lug nuts need to be at 83 ft/lbs. That torque setting is exactly what the hard copy owner's manual calls for. I used a torque wrench when mounting my winter wheels and I used the 83 ft/lbs. If the clunk is really gone then A) why wasn't it present on all four wheels, B) I need to calibrate my torque wrench, C) next time I'll just use 90.

UPDATE: I drove on some rough dirt roads at low speed. The clunk is NOT gone.
2019 Leaf SV+ with Tech and Weather packages
2015 Leaf S (Totaled 10/2019)
2017 Ford F-350 CCLB 6.7L SRW 4x4

coleafrado
Posts: 279
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:58 pm

Re: Please Report 2018 - 2020 Leaf Defects Here

Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:01 pm

HRTKD wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:01 am
I took my Leaf in for the clunk and I don't know if it's been resolved or not. The dealership's response was that the lug nuts weren't tight enough. The service writer gave me a TSB printout showing that the lug nuts need to be at 83 ft/lbs. That torque setting is exactly what the hard copy owner's manual calls for. I used a torque wrench when mounting my winter wheels and I used the 83 ft/lbs. If the clunk is really gone then A) why wasn't it present on all four wheels, B) I need to calibrate my torque wrench, C) next time I'll just use 90.

UPDATE: I drove on some rough dirt roads at low speed. The clunk is NOT gone.
I heard some funny clunks from my left front suspension going over bumps, too, right before it failed yesterday: https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=579988#p579988

Some people have remarked that a certain axle bearing or bushing needs to be tightened periodically to remedy this issue.

powersurge
Posts: 1742
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:24 am
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Please Report 2018 - 2020 Leaf Defects Here

Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:43 am

coleafrado wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:01 pm
HRTKD wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:01 am
I took my Leaf in for the clunk and I don't know if it's been resolved or not. The dealership's response was that the lug nuts weren't tight enough. The service writer gave me a TSB printout showing that the lug nuts need to be at 83 ft/lbs. That torque setting is exactly what the hard copy owner's manual calls for. I used a torque wrench when mounting my winter wheels and I used the 83 ft/lbs. If the clunk is really gone then A) why wasn't it present on all four wheels, B) I need to calibrate my torque wrench, C) next time I'll just use 90.

UPDATE: I drove on some rough dirt roads at low speed. The clunk is NOT gone.
I heard some funny clunks from my left front suspension going over bumps, too, right before it failed yesterday: https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=579988#p579988

Some people have remarked that a certain axle bearing or bushing needs to be tightened periodically to remedy this issue.
This issue, is not a "defect". Needing a repair is not an overall "defect" of the entire population of cars.

It is an older car as i remember. You should address the problem as discussed in the other topic you created.

coleafrado
Posts: 279
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:58 pm

Re: Please Report 2018 - 2020 Leaf Defects Here

Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:30 am

powersurge wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:43 am
This issue, is not a "defect". Needing a repair is not an overall "defect" of the entire population of cars.

It is an older car as i remember. You should address the problem as discussed in the other topic you created.
I made that post before I actually determined what had failed, though I agree. The issue I was referring to is a separate matter: viewtopic.php?t=26079

Rhcanleaf
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:39 pm
Delivery Date: 23 Aug 2018
Leaf Number: 316348
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Please Report 2018 - 2020 Leaf Defects Here

Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:47 am

About a month ago after the car has hardly been used and charged due to the covid 19 lockdowns I finally got the anticipated battery warning messages and the car went into a turtle mode. The dealership dropped the pack and manually tested each module. They found 2 modules with a lower current. They replaced those modules under warranty.
Rhcanleaf wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:36 am
Not fixed yet. The dealership reprogrammed the car. That of course didn't fix anything. I'm dropping off the car at the dealership again today for a few days so that they can drive it and observe the pathetic range for themselves. If this doesn't result in a warranty fix I am going to pursue a legal action against Nissan Canada.

coleafrado wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:43 pm
Rhcanleaf wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:36 pm
Defective battery pack
2018 SL, built 08/2018 in USA.
A few months ago the car started showing a noticeable range decrease.
When the car is charged to 100%, the dash shows a range of 241km (150miles) and the range decreases steadily till just below 80%. Below 80%, the range starts decreasing rapidly, at about triple the rate of when the battery is fully charged. Basically, same distance driven (40km) from 100% to 80% takes the battery from 80% to 25%. The overall range of the car is just over 100km (63 miles) which is way below the specs, even when taking into account the winter weather which has been mild this year.
Recently got myself a LS pro, which shows a "weak cell: 24" with a 268mV difference when fully charged (SOC 94.2%). At 20% on the dash LS SOC is at 51% and the difference for the weak cell is 110mV.
The dealership is sympathetic but told me that the Nissan corporate technicians who they have been consulting with consider the imbalance in cell voltage to be within tolerance and will not service the battery without a trouble code. They suggested reprogramming which hasn't made much of a difference for the overall range.
AHr=107.13, SOH=92.80%, Hx=111.46%
Odometer 29,032km (18,040 miles).
Has this been fully addressed yet?

Learjet
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:04 pm
Delivery Date: 11 Mar 2020
Leaf Number: 309454
Location: Louisiana, USA

Re: Please Report 2018 - 2020 Leaf Defects Here

Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:26 pm

the only issue with my 2019 SL Plus is the high speed mode for the windshield wipers has never worked....low speeds ok....waiting for my annual battery check to get it fixed.
2019 Nissan Leaf SL Plus

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 15037
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Please Report 2018 - 2020 Leaf Defects Here

Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:46 pm

My car's 'Automatic Recirculate' feature just stopped working. The light flashes twice with the button press/hold, but then it goes right back to Recirculate.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 14878
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Please Report 2018 - 2020 Leaf Defects Here

Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:45 am

LeftieBiker wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:46 pm
My car's 'Automatic Recirculate' feature just stopped working. The light flashes twice with the button press/hold, but then it goes right back to Recirculate.
You are not in any defrost modes, correct?
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 11,333.1 mi, 93.73% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “LEAF Gen 2 & Infiniti EV”