Love and Hate about our new Leaf 2018
Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:34 am
My wife and I have never had a Nissan before and of course this is our first EV. We got the top trim "SL" (Canadian version, not sure it is exactly the same in the States). After driving it for almost 1 month, it's time to express my feeling - there are some mixed feelings about this car. I am pretty sure not everyone agrees, but that's my own opinion.
- - Very smooth handling, acceleration and comfortable
- Decent mileage to get around the city
- Good size trunk space with folding back seats
- 360 degree bird eye view, front side back camera
- Comes with Level 2, 240V 30A 6.6 kwh charger, no need to buy charging station. I just ran 8/3 with 40A breaker on 14-50R, easy DIY.
- Save a lot on money gas, we signed up a plan with Hydro and pay $0.02 CAD kwh (12AM-6AM)
- Got $14K CAD rebate from government
- - Door lock/unlock buttons are not illuminated but mirror control does, WTF
- When you open the charging lid in the DARK, that little light won't turn on (Similar problem as door buttons!!) It comes on when you plug it in or remove it. HAHAHA... If I am able to plug it in, I don't need the light by then.. So stupid.
- Day light saving time need to set manually 2 times a year (WHAT?? in 2018 still?) It has a SIM card Carwings telematics system and you cannot connect to the NTP server? Seriously? Okay, Even without telematics, my Honda adjusts the clock automatically.
- Charging timer "Full charge has priority" issue: Example: My timer is set to 12AM to 6AM (I pay $0.02 CAD only during that time) and I say my battery has 10% left at 8PM, now I plug it in. It starts charging RIGHT AWAY until full regardless of schedule.
Suggestion on improvement: They need to have 2 options : (1) "Pre-timer for full charge" and (2) "Post-timer for full charge". If the timer cannot charge the battery to full during the period, it will either use the time BEFORE or AFTER based on my preference.
My Workaround now? Disable the "full charge priority "
- Glove box has opening on the sides?? I had driven many cars before, this is the FIRST car has openings on sides LOL
- Nissan Leaf mobile app is so crappy, everyone agrees eh? Indeed I tried to use their REST API using Chrome advanced REST client and I was able to connect to my car successfully returning the JSON (there are tons of articles out there, you just need some I.T. skills, Python for token encryption). The bottle neck is actually you send a request, then you keep POLLING until your car responds. These guys are not IoT MQTT and software expert, they need to learn from Nest, Ecobee and other IoTs. This part is actually VERY disappointed. Furthermore, I wonder if similar hack can be done like Jeep Cherokee back in 2014. Google "Hackers Remotely Kill a Jeep on the Highway" on YouTube, fun to watch but something alarming.
- - Side mirrors can be a little big bigger
- No Power seat on passenger
- No Power trunk (hmm.... maybe not necessary)
- No Power folding mirrors
- No spare tires (it includes a bottle of tire puncture sealant Hmmm..)
- No backup/parking sensor (it has that "motion" sensor, but one beep warning??!!! It's useless)
- The horn is a joke, so weak just like my kids' toy. my god, I have to upgrade that in summer time.
- - Bose system is crap, I was into serious car audio 2 decades ago, I had my JL12W6V3 in my old car. To be fair, I didn't expect Leaf would have a very powerful bass, however I have to say it's disappointed. I do love Bose as a brand personally because I have their bookshelf speakers long time ago and last year I got the SoundTouch 300 as home theater system and the bass is decent, but sorry I really have to say this Nissan subwoofer is garbage. Compare to the other car of mine - Honda (unknown audio brand??) the factory subwoofer beats Nissan hands down. You can actually hear slight distortion on Leaf when you play Russian hip-hop and Romanian club. Oh.. it also took some space of the trunk too. DON'T waste money on this Bose if you are into HipHop and dance music.