2018 leaf s no wheel wells?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solarninja

Why would nissan make a new car with no wheel wells on the back wheels. I see oversprayed pain on my new 2018, and i see bolt holes where a wheel well should mount...but no wheel wells, we type the vin in at the service counter, and it shows not aplicable...why?

20180710_171118_zpsewlud5qv.jpg.html
the inner wheel well splash gaurd..if we are gonna get utra technical on what to call it ill look up a part number to see if i can find it..

goldbrick said:
^ it came like that from the factory? :shock:

That's what I was wondering, but then I noticed the undercoating covering the area that would normally be covered up by a wheel well liner. So I do wonder if Nissan intentionally left it out for cost cutting reasons. The only way to know is look at other 2018's.

I'm guessing that the liner got left out during assembly, it wasn't caught, and it went through the undercoating like that. Then passed the final inspection, still missing the part. What about the other side: the same?

Thats rediculose on a 40k vehicle...i shouldnt see overspray on the chassis, why would they do that? Any other gen 2 leaf owners have this?

Thats is the diffrence, from what the dealer tells me...pro pilot has them, non pro pilot does not. Seems very silly to send something out that looks so half finished...

Each region specifies how the car will be trimmed down to things like this and the liners.

Other things that come to mind are:
no tow hooks
no spare
no rear foglight
no height adjustment on the passenger seat
no Alcantara on the dashboard on SLs
no one-touch window control other than driver
window controls not backlit
no light in glovebox
no back seat floor lighting
no rear seat heaters
JDM "city" horn
no headlight washers
no power lift gate
no full OLED drivers and center display
no sunroof

What am I missing?

OrientExpress said:
Each region specifies how the car will be trimmed down to things like this and the liners.

Other things that come to mind are:
no tow hooks
no spare
no rear foglight
no height adjustment on the passenger seat
no Alcantara on the dashboard on SLs
no one-touch window control other than driver
window controls not backlit
no light in glovebox
no back seat floor lighting
no rear seat heaters
JDM "city" horn
no headlight washers
no power lift gate
no full OLED drivers and center display
no sunroof

What am I missing?
no ProPilot parking
no spare tire option

OrientExpress said:

While this is true, it makes no sense as to why it's included with ProPilot but excluded if you don't. I can't think of anything about ProPilot that necessitates the need for fender well liners.

I can see them being included for the Canadian market (due to the harsh winters and "brine-tastic" winter roads), but then again parts of the US have similar winter conditions. At least make it part of a "winter" package, possibly a dealer-installed one, if they're not going to make it standard.

The reason that wheel liners would be included with ProPilot cars and the others not is pretty clear to me. In each rear corner of ProPilot cars are sensors that it uses to guide the car. The idea is to minimize the dirt debris etc that might could get on the sensor and blind it. If you look at pre-production photos of the car in camouflage there are two areas on each side of the rear bumper cover, that is where the sensors are, in the most outboard corners the car.

The other reason is for sound absorption. The rear fender liner is made out of a thick open cell felt material. This is a common way to make the cabin quieter.

OrientExpress said:
The reason that wheel liners would be included with ProPilot cars and the others not is pretty clear to me. In each rear corner of ProPilot cars are sensors that it uses to guide the car. The idea is to minimize the dirt debris etc that might could get on the sensor and blind it. If you look at pre-production photos of the car in camouflage there are two areas on each side of the rear bumper cover, that is where the sensors are, in the most outboard corners the car.

Are these wheel well liners integrated with mud flaps? Because wheel well liners by themselves do nothing to keep the area outside of the wheel well clean. They protect the inside of the wheel well, by preventing rock chips in the finish (which will cause rust) and also preventing salt accumulation in the crevices (which will also cause rust).

Back