Nissan leaf 2018 Does the door lock/unlock buttons (Inside) to open close has light ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iccountants

I don't have light in door button to lock unlock from inside? Took to the dealership ...but the tech also was not sure whether it comes with that. It's weird that the open and close button for windows has light but not door lock/unlock. Does anybody have light in those buttons?

No lighted lock buttons, I'm afraid. There are a couple of topics here on adding a light, or something similar. I'll have a look...

I did some searching, and there is a solution for the 2013-2017 Leaf that will PROBABLY work for the 2018 as well. You need this switch unit:

13 14 15 16 Nissan Altima Driver Window Switch OEM P/N 254013TA5A - from poster "Goldbrick"

The "Altima" is correct - the Leaf just doesn't come with a lighted switch unit.

I put those light switches in my 2017 and really appreciate the lights, especially in the winter. It's an easy job to pop out and replace them (both sides for an Altima will fit and have the lighted lock switch). At least on a 2017, it is plug and play.

As Leftie said, the only question is whether a 2018 uses the same part as a 201x. Probably so, but I haven't heard of anyone doing the mod yet. If the part is identical between the 2017 and 2018 the Altima part should work for a 2018. It seems like most of the functionality is in the switch itself and the plug must just supply power/ground and perhaps a CAN bus line.

That quote should have an attribution to you, Goldbrick. I forgot to add it. I'll fix it now. If I were keeping the car I'd add the buttons for sure. I may anyway, but want someone else to see if they fit, first. ;-)

Disappointing to learn that 2018 (and 2019?) vehicles STILL do not have lighted lock switches. This has been a noted complaint since MY2011, and apparently one that Nissan doesn’t care to address.

I don't think so. I think maybe just the driver's window button is lit. I almost never use the door lock button, maybe just when dropping someone off while keeping the car running.

Never been an issue for me, as I use LeafSpy Pro to set the locks to automatically open when the car is put into Park. When I put the car in drive, they lock too. Hardly ever even have to think about locking/unlocking...

alozzy said:
Never been an issue for me, as I use LeafSpy Pro to set the locks to automatically open when the car is put into Park. When I put the car in drive, they lock too. Hardly ever even have to think about locking/unlocking...

That's a good solution too but sometimes I drop people off while stopped and going into P is a bit annoying. Also, I think the passengers appreciate being able to unlock their own door since I often forget.

Good point :!: I think reprogramming the car would have solved all my issues as I really don't care whether the car locks itself or not when I take off.

But I do like the lighted switches :mrgreen:

Not that this directly helps w/Leaf drivers, but FWIW, despite all the (valid) criticism of the Bolt's interior, I can report that every single button and switch on the driver's side door is lit on my Bolt, including the power door and unlock buttons and all 4 power window controls.

Posted a pic at https://imgur.com/a/mHKqkJI.

So... I guess the GM bean counters didn't skimp there but Nissan's did?

goldbrick said:
I put those light switches in my 2017 and really appreciate the lights, especially in the winter. It's an easy job to pop out and replace them (both sides for an Altima will fit and have the lighted lock switch). At least on a 2017, it is plug and play.
As Leftie said, the only question is whether a 2018 uses the same part as a 201x.

Those missing lights have been bothering me since I first got the car. I used to think that maybe it was an early car problem, but I realized that it wasn't.

This post has me curious. I popped out my switches to get a look at the body and wiring. It does seem simple to replace. I looked through eBay for used parts matching the mentioned PN 254013TA5A and see that the the parts look like they will fit, and prices are reasonable. I'll do some more research, but I expect to buy a used part and see if it fits and works. I'll keep you posted.

LeftieBiker said:
Maybe the Nissan engineers feared that fully illuminated interior switches would be blamed for the car's less than stellar (so to speak) range.
The same non-lit buttons are on the 2017 Rogue I can confirm.

For those interested, the Altima switches do fit the '18. I did the swap on my SL without any issues.

On a 2017 the risk is minimal. Use a plastic knife or something to pry out the switch and then just unplug it and re-install the new one.

At least on Gen1 Leaf's the plastic piece in the arm rest that holds the switch pops out easily. IIRC there are 4 points that mate with the connecting piece. Just go around the top piece loosening them one by one until it is free. At that point, it is trivial to swap the switches.

Back