eplus

How to sell a 2018 LEAF?

Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:08 am

I have had my 2018 LEAF SV for a few months and love a lot about it. Range anxiety, coupled with some longer trips I now have to take regularly, leads me to looking into something with more range (LEAF Plus or Model 3).

What is the best way to sell an electric car? Same as ICE? These are what I'm considering. Please let me know if you have any other approaches or tips.

Craigslist
eBay
Nissan Dealership
CarMax (I think this is likely the lowest valued option)

golfcart
Delivery Date: 21 Nov 2015

Re: How to sell a 2018 LEAF?

Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:13 am

eplus wrote:I

What is the best way to sell an electric car? Same as ICE? These are what I'm considering. Please let me know if you have any other approaches or tips.

Craigslist
eBay
Nissan Dealership
Carvana, auto trader, cars.com also might work.

The nice thing about a dealer or something like carvana is that they'll be able to roll any negative equity into your new loan if u need to do so. The downside is they'll give you trade in value which is usually lower than what you could sell it for and the interest rate might be higher than a credit union would give.

I haven't seen any leaf plus on carvana yet but there are definitely some Tesla model 3.
2018 SV

TexasLeaf
Delivery Date: 17 Mar 2018
Leaf Number: 303111

Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:55 pm

I’m in the same boat you and I would really like the extra range and better battery temperature management of the Leaf Plus. But be careful trying to get a Leaf Plus right now, I have already tried a couple of times and I was really turned off by the lease money factor Nissan is asking for the Plus, this experience has made me realize what a really great deal I got on my 2018 SL.

Nissan is a lot more interested in trying to sell the 3,000 40 kWh Leafs they’ve got sitting on dealer lots than in pushing the Plus. You might want to wait a while until Nissan starts really trying to sell the Plus. A little patience will probably pay us big dividends.
2018 Leaf SL
2015 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium
2007 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4X4

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:11 pm

OTOH, when the 40kwh Leaf discounts get huge, the used price plummets...
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Levenkay
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 11 Aug 2018
Leaf Number: 308382

Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:35 am

eplus wrote: What is the best way to sell an electric car? Same as ICE?
I have no experience with them at all, but here in the US there's an outfit that Martyn Lee's podcasts advertise as offering an online resource specifically for buying/selling EVs that you could look at: myEV.com . Claims to be what you're interested in, at least.

Astros
Delivery Date: 28 Apr 2018
Leaf Number: 310136

Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:59 pm

It depends on where you live, but so far I have been able to trade in two Leafs for slightly more than I paid for them, after taking the federal tax credit into account. Different dealerships will give you vastly different quotes for a trade-in value, so you have to shop around. But, some can be quite motivated to sell the Plus versions, so if there are plenty in your area who will give you more if you are also buying a new (and more expensive) car from them. In most places, you also get to subtract the trade-in value of your old car from the price of the new car when calculating sales tax, which can cover the price difference between selling privately and trading it in.
2019 Deep Blue SL Plus

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:59 pm

Re: CL, from https://www.craigslist.org/about/help/posting_fees:
"Cars/trucks by-owner in the US—$5 (starting April 15)"

More info at https://www.craigslist.org/about/cto.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:06 pm

I don't have solid tips but for me trying to sell my 11 bar 5/2013 built '13 Leaf SV w/premium package but no CHAdeMO and at the time about 63.5K miles...
eplus wrote: Craigslist
eBay
Nissan Dealership
Nissan dealership was the WORST for my car. Two didn't want it. Another gave an incredibly low value and made a bunch of "mistakes" in the process. I can point to the story later.

I found out about AutoNation buying used cars by submitting request for quote online via https://www.caranddriver.com/shopping-a ... t-feature/. They also gave me a joke of an offer: $3,552.

Carmax offered me $5K, which is basically the highest, so far. Shift offered me $5K and Vroom offered me $4K.

I wouldn't be optimistic about eBay Motors. I suspect many sales fall thru.
Astros wrote:In most places, you also get to subtract the trade-in value of your old car from the price of the new car when calculating sales tax, which can cover the price difference between selling privately and trading it in.
We don't know where the OP is. California does NOT allow for that. I'd never even heard of this until I moved to WA (lived there for 9 years).

https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/what ... u-pay.html under "Trade-in sales tax credit?" lists which states allow for that.
TexasLeaf wrote:better battery temperature management of the Leaf Plus.
???

Source? The battery still is "air cooled" w/passive cooling and inside a sealed box, AFAIK.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:20 pm

Trade it in on at the Chevy dealer for a Bolt. Otherwise put a sign in the window with your number and advertise as listed above.

Be realistic on price or it will be yours for a long time.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:39 pm

TexasLeaf wrote:
better battery temperature management of the Leaf Plus.

Cwerdna wrote:
???

Source? The battery still is "air cooled" w/passive cooling and inside a sealed box, AFAIK.
I think he means that the larger pack can charge longer at lower temps, so Nissan can restrict charging rates at higher temps...Not my definition, either.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “LEAF Gen 2 & Infiniti EV”