TPMS Sensors Worked With 2015, Not With 2019

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HRTKD

I took delivery of my 2019 SV+ this week and put on the winter tires/wheels/sensors that worked great on my 2015 Leaf S. I went to Discount Tire today to get the TPMS sensors mated to the new car and the guys tried it and their tool wouldn't work when they specified a 2019 Leaf.

The tool did recognize my sensors when they specified a 2015. From what I understand, if they had plugged into the ODBII port with the tool still configured as a 2015, it wouldn't have worked. They didn't try plugging it in.

They're researching the issue. Their initial thought was that they would have to source sensors directly from Nissan.

Anybody had any luck with aftermarket sensors?

Discount Tire called me and said the sensors that will work will come from Nissan. They can get them for $60 each. Because the existing sensors came from Discount Tire they won't charge me labor to swap them.

A longer path but you could purchase "cloneable" TPMS and copy your existing sensors. The other advantage of that is the winter and summer tire will look identical to the Leaf so you can swap them yourself. I did this for our Leaf and our Honda Odyssey Van as well.

Take a look through this thread

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=24701&p=507690&hilit=tpms+cloning#p507690

Have the tire place pair the new sensors - don't rely on LeafSpy. I was told that LeafSpy can't pair 2018+ Leaf TPMS units...although I somehow managed to do it anyway, through trial and error.

I just live with the TPMS warning all winter.
Manufacturers should really be switching to indirect TPMS. Why add more equipment to the car that creates hassle and expense twice a year when the job can be done by the ABS sensors that the car has anyways?

Bought TPMS sensors for new wheels from Discount Tire - the clonable type. Work great. $45 each.

Still way more than a passive system ($0). They obviously could have gone with a passive system as well, but that wouldn't report tire pressures on the roll. I think that feature is what they were after. Given the amount of attention paid to tire pressures here, I suppose there might be a following. I personally think it's not worth it.

I don't need to car to beep at me when my pressures reach the level it thinks is good. That's what tire gauges are for. And yes, I check pressures on all my cars regularly, not just on the Leaf. Prolly makes me a unicorn I guess. ;)

frontrangeleaf said:
Bought TPMS sensors for new wheels from Discount Tire - the clonable type. Work great. $45 each.

Still way more than a passive system ($0). They obviously could have gone with a passive system as well, but that wouldn't report tire pressures on the roll. I think that feature is what they were after. Given the amount of attention paid to tire pressures here, I suppose there might be a following. I personally think it's not worth it.

I don't need to car to beep at me when my pressures reach the level it thinks is good. That's what tire gauges are for. And yes, I check pressures on all my cars regularly, not just on the Leaf. Prolly makes me a unicorn I guess. ;)

I believe that the TPMS sensors I have in my winter tires are the cloneable type. But if Nissan changed the frequency that the car is listening for, and the old sensors aren't that frequency then I'm SOL.

Back