Vents in hatch area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveinOlyWA

Ok, so I just noticed there are vents in the hatch area just below where the privacy cover would be on both sides. I have no idea if my 40 had them so asking if anyone with a 40 kwh can go look real quick and let me know.

I won't pass around unsubstantiated rumors even if it was uttered by a well connected Nissan person until I investigate more but curious if these vents are new for the E Plus?

DaveinOlyWA said:
Ok, so I just noticed there are vents in the hatch area just below where the privacy cover would be on both sides. I have no idea if my 40 had them so asking if anyone with a 40 kwh can go look real quick and let me know.

I won't pass around unsubstantiated rumors even if it was uttered by a well connected Nissan person until I investigate more but curious if these vents are new for the E Plus?

Sorry Dave. Not following. Are these on the outside of your car? What do you think they are for?

Dave,

If you mean vent grilles in the plastic liner in the hatch area, then my 2011 SL, 2015 SL, and 2019 SL+ all have (had) them (one on each side). The purpose is to provide a place for HVAC air exhaust at the rear of the car. There are air exhaust vents in the exterior metal with rubber flap valves on each side hidden by the rear bumper cover to let air escape.

GerryAZ said:
Dave,

If you mean vent grilles in the plastic liner in the hatch area, then my 2011 SL, 2015 SL, and 2019 SL+ all have (had) them (one on each side). The purpose is to provide a place for HVAC air exhaust at the rear of the car. There are air exhaust vents in the exterior metal with rubber flap valves on each side hidden by the rear bumper cover to let air escape.

Yes. Most if not all cars have them. They both assist with ventilation and keep the pressure inside the car equalized with outside pressure when all the windows are closed and the climate control off.

LeftieBiker said:
GerryAZ said:
Dave,

Yes. Most if not all cars have them. They both assist with ventilation and keep the pressure inside the car equalized with outside pressure when all the windows are closed and the climate control off.

I wonder if this also helps with wind buffet - that throbbing that happens when windows are down in certain configurations (a.k.a."Helmholtz resonance")

I wonder if this also helps with wind buffet - that throbbing that happens when windows are down in certain configurations (a.k.a."Helmholtz resonance")

Without an unequipped car to compare them with, I can't say. I can definitely say that they don't eliminate that awful resonating.

LeftieBiker said:

Without an unequipped car to compare them with, I can't say. I can definitely say that they don't eliminate that awful resonating.

You're right it certainly can be brutal. I might try taping over them to see if it actually gets worse or not.

In the olden days this was called "flow through ventilation." Prior to that, we had to open a rear window a crack to keep the air flowing through, especially in soggy western Washington.

Nubo said:
LeftieBiker said:
GerryAZ said:
Dave,

WOW! That is what it is called!! I have a Ford Escape that I cannot open all 4 windows at the same time on the highway...

The entire car will vibrate and rupture our eardrums!!!

Thank for teaching...

Back