2018 SV - Tire Repair Kit included or optional ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SalemCat

I'm two weeks into ownership of a 2018 Leaf SV with 13K miles, and really like it.

But I am missing the Tire Repair Kit.

The Salesman told me today it was an OPTION, and is not included.

I wonder....

LeftieBiker said:
The car should come with the little compressor, I think, but not an actual repair kit. I don't know if they still include a can of sealant goo.

The Compressor with Sealant together make the kit.

As proof that it is not included, they showed me a copy of the original Windows Sticker.

I am doubtful....

But don't know how to prove they owe me the kit.

I had a repair kit from my 2017 but I think I tossed it. I'll look in the garage and if it is still there you can have it for shipping costs if you want it.

The compressor and bottle of sealer was standard equipment in my 2011 SL, 2015 SL, and 2019 SL. I believe they are standard equipment in all USA Leafs. The compressors are much better than the typical 12V compressors you can buy in big box stores so I kept the compressor from my 2015 when I traded it in (I told my salesman that I wanted it to carry on motorcycle trips). I purchased a couple of different types of tire plug kits to carry so I should be able to repair most tire punctures (rubber plugs for nail or screw holes and long rubber strings for temporary repairs of cuts or sidewall damage). I never use the sealer because it requires replacement of the hose on the compressor and clean up of the inside of the tire and rim if the sealer is injected. I also had a bad experience with sealant in a tube-type motorcycle tire many years ago.

GerryAZ said:
The compressor and bottle of sealer was standard equipment in my 2011 SL, 2015 SL, and 2019 SL. I believe they are standard equipment in all USA Leafs. The compressors are much better than the typical 12V compressors you can buy in big box stores so I kept the compressor from my 2015 when I traded it in (I told my salesman that I wanted it to carry on motorcycle trips). I purchased a couple of different types of tire plug kits to carry so I should be able to repair most tire punctures (rubber plugs for nail or screw holes and long rubber strings for temporary repairs of cuts or sidewall damage). I never use the sealer because it requires replacement of the hose on the compressor and clean up of the inside of the tire and rim if the sealer is injected. I also had a bad experience with sealant in a tube-type motorcycle tire many years ago.
+1 on everything you said and for reference, my '12SL and '13S also came with the pump and sealer, and like you, I added a plug kit in both.....which reminded me, I should probably check the included glue with the plug kits, I think even sealed they can get hard after years. For sure once opened they are only good for months, maybe sealed they don't go bad, can't remember.
For those that don't know, at least on the older Leafs it's stashed in the boot in a little somewhat hidden flap that pulls down close to the carpet on one of the sides, near the wheel well.

It looks like this ?

s-l1600.jpg

SalemCat said:
It looks like this ?

Maybe that's a European or Canadian version; looks to be recommending top speed of 80kM/H. But the same functionality; Kit is comprised of a compressor and a bottle of sealant.

FWIW, I tried "building" an SV on Nissan's website and did not see the repair kit listed in any of the options or accessories.

But... if this is a used car I'm not sure you have any recourse. The good news is, 12V inflators can be had fairly cheap, as well as tire sealant, but like others I'd recommend a tire plug kit. Avoids hassles and is more reliable. Sealant tends to go bad after sitting a few years. Also get a good tire pressure gauge; the gauges on the inflators tend to be wildly inaccurate.

The tire "repair" kit is Nissan's way of saving weight & space. Every "regular" car I've ever purchased had a full size or donut spare, neither of which was ever listed as an "option" or "accessory". The Monroney sticker for my '18 doesn't list either a spare or repair kit (which it did come with). If the OP's car didn't come with one, it was probably "stolen" because the OEM sells for $300 or so.

Ok, yesterday I had a hunch.

I checked the trunk more carefully, and....

ah5Rrre.jpg

Ff2nmtF.jpg

The large bag is for the Charging Cable, supplied by Nissan, and clipped into place where Nissan placed a ring it clips to.

(The stitched black blanket is a Moving Blanket from Harbor Freight. They sell for under $10, and are great for protecting the floor of any trunk. Probably help keep me warm, too, should the need ever arise.)

Now do understand - I only discovered this Kit existed at all by carefully reading the Owner's Manual.

The Salesman was unaware of its existence, as was the Service Manager, and the Parts Counter guy.

Nubo said:
SalemCat said:
It looks like this ?

Maybe that's a European or Canadian version; looks to be recommending top speed of 80kM/H. But the same functionality; Kit is comprised of a compressor and a bottle of sealant.

FWIW, I tried "building" an SV on Nissan's website and did not see the repair kit listed in any of the options or accessories.

But... if this is a used car I'm not sure you have any recourse. The good news is, 12V inflators can be had fairly cheap, as well as tire sealant, but like others I'd recommend a tire plug kit. Avoids hassles and is more reliable. Sealant tends to go bad after sitting a few years. Also get a good tire pressure gauge; the gauges on the inflators tend to be wildly inaccurate.

Well, as I have posted, I discovered the kit's hiding place by myself.

And if I had not, my recourse would have been the fact this is a Nissan Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle.

They have a 167 point Checklist; the relevant ones to me would be:

#125 Jack/Tools (Condition)

#156 Spare Tire (Condition/Tread/Pressure) Spare __ PSI

Clearly they were required to inspect those items. Whether they did or not is now moot.

Thankfully.

OK, you folks did well. I took photos of my 2019 and also the one from my 2015 that I carry on motorcycle trips which I planned to post, but there is no need now. They both look like the image SalemCat posted earlier (open) and the images LeftieBiker just posted. I am sure the one with the 2011 was the same and I would have kept it for motorcycle use except it was destroyed in the crash (hardest impact area was in left rear). I lost some tools stored in the compartment because there was not way to get them our of the crumpled metal, but made the other driver's insurance company pay for them. If you read the instructions, you will find that the sticker which says 80 km/h maximum (50 mi/h maximum) is intended to be placed near the speedometer as a reminder to the driver to keep speed down on the way to the nearest tire shop.

Back