bad Google Maps

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irabike

So this is not specific to the Leaf, but really about a change in Google Maps display/function that effects all EV drivers that use it. I drive a 2017 Leaf w/o a navigation system and I travel for work and often to new locations. So I use Google Maps on my phone. I find Waze too busy and cumbersome but maybe I need to use it more.
On a separate issue, I have always thought that it would be a boon to EV drivers if there was an option for "shortest route."
But several weeks ago I saw that Google Maps no longer continuously displays the mileage to the destination. It shows mileage to the next turn and shows mileage to destination every time you travel 1 more mile, but it only displays for a few seconds. That sucks as I am always gauging where my next charge will have to be. Also, if I come to an intersection with an alternate route, it doesn't display the mileage.
Is there a way to contact them and ask them to go back to the old display?
Thanks!
Ira Josephs

Haven't read your post carefully but if people don't reply, I think the below would be more productive.

https://support.google.com/maps/community?hl=en
https://support.google.com/maps/?hl=en#topic=3092425

File a complaint with Google. I have. Enough people do it, it will get done. That is how Google rolls.

FYI; Google used to have shortest route as an option. They dropped it about 3-4 years ago. Now the only options are w or w/o tolls with quickest route the default . You can select "avoid highways" but that is about it.

Also not clear what phone OS the OP is using.

My primary phone is an iPhone 8. I have at least 3 viable mapping app choices: Google Maps, Waze and Apple Maps. And, I also have CarPlay in my Bolt (not a choice for the OP unless he changes his head unit). I actually like the guidance and UI best w/Apple Maps + also have the benefit of pings on my Apple Watch before coming up on turns.

However, if I'm going somewhere where I'm already pretty familiar, esp. on the highway, I end up using Waze mainly for its warnings about stopped vehicles or hazards in the road + sometimes the cop sightings. Or, I might use Apple Maps to guide me but I have Waze usually up on my car's big (10.2 inch) screen. I still will get notifications from Apple Maps on the big screen and watch + can see upcoming turns on my phone's LCD.

Also, since I don't use Google Maps w/CarPlay much, "no longer continuously displays the mileage to the destination" doesn't seem to be an issue with CarPlay when used w/Waze and Apple Maps on iOS for me. Beats me if Google Maps has that regression.

Irabike said:
So this is not specific to the Leaf, but really about a change in Google Maps display/function that effects all EV drivers that use it. I drive a 2017 Leaf w/o a navigation system and I travel for work and often to new locations. So I use Google Maps on my phone. I find Waze too busy and cumbersome but maybe I need to use it more.
On a separate issue, I have always thought that it would be a boon to EV drivers if there was an option for "shortest route."
But several weeks ago I saw that Google Maps no longer continuously displays the mileage to the destination. It shows mileage to the next turn and shows mileage to destination every time you travel 1 more mile, but it only displays for a few seconds. That sucks as I am always gauging where my next charge will have to be. Also, if I come to an intersection with an alternate route, it doesn't display the mileage.
Is there a way to contact them and ask them to go back to the old display?
Thanks!
Ira Josephs

Sounds like you are out of date somewhere because Google still displays distance to destination. I use google constantly even for places I know well for traffic reports more than anything.

Back