GOM's range is 2 times off!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Features deleted after 2012 on USA models:
1. Front fender marker lights.
2. Adjustable headlights (to compensate for heavy loads).
3. Electric parking brake (included again on Plus models starting in 2019).
4. All 2011 and 2012 models have LED low beam headlights. Later models have halogen on some trim levels.
5. All 2011 and 2012 models have navigation system and remote climate control functions (required cellular modem upgrade after 2G service was discontinued by ATT). Navigation system and remote climate control is not included on 2013 and later S models.
6. Aluminum body panels for reduced weight and less corrosion. Also, fit and finish of body panels was better on the cars built in Japan.
7. Sound deadening insulation (2011 had better sound insulation than 2015; 2019 Plus has sound insulation similar to 2011).

I still miss the adjustable headlights because I could dial them down to minimize glare. The foot pedal parking brake in my 2015 required frequent adjustment and encroached on leg room so I am glad to have the electric parking brake on the 2019 (no problems with the electric parking brake on 2011 and no problems so far on 2019). Seats are personal preference, but I liked the light colored interior of the 2011 and disliked the black leather in the 2015 (absorbed a lot of heat while parked in the Arizona sun). I like the light colored leather in the 2019 (availability of light color leather interior was part of the reason for replacing the 2015).

^^
Re: #5, I wouldn't really call it so much a deletion. All '13 to '17 SV and SL had nav system + remote climate control just like '11 and '12 SV and SL. But yes, '13 to '17 S trims had no TCU, no nav and no remote climate control but there was no S trim before model year '13.

The moving the parking brake to a foot pedal on the left instead of the big switch meant a bit of extra storage space. Someone found that a Chinese food container fits perfectly in there. :) OP can see that at http://sfbayleafs.org/wp-content/media//2013/09/130902-center-console-IMG_8987s.jpg from one of the pieces I linked to.

GerryAZ said:
4. All 2011 and 2012 models have LED low beam headlights. Later models have halogen on some trim levels.
5. All 2011 and 2012 models have navigation system and remote climate control functions (required cellular modem upgrade after 2G service was discontinued by ATT). Navigation system and remote climate control is not included on 2013 and later S models.
6. Aluminum body panels for reduced weight and less corrosion. Also, fit and finish of body panels was better on the cars built in Japan.
7. Sound deadening insulation (2011 had better sound insulation than 2015; 2019 Plus has sound insulation similar to 2011).

I still miss the adjustable headlights because I could dial them down to minimize glare. The foot pedal parking brake in my 2015 required frequent adjustment and encroached on leg room so I am glad to have the electric parking brake on the 2019 (no problems with the electric parking brake on 2011 and no problems so far on 2019). Seats are personal preference, but I liked the light colored interior of the 2011 and disliked the black leather in the 2015 (absorbed a lot of heat while parked in the Arizona sun). I like the light colored leather in the 2019 (availability of light color leather interior was part of the reason for replacing the 2015).
Yep #2 is by far my favorite feature. I personally don't like the light-colored velour(softer fabric) on my '12 and much prefer the black cloth on my '13S but my daughter who mostly drives it is like you. I also much prefer her white LED headlights to my yellowish halogens on my S. The biggest negative of the '11/'12 models is the awful original battery, hers is down to 8 bars and in the winter is lucky to get 40 miles and that's with limited use of the inefficient heater. Also the 11/12's lack the much nicer 6.6kw EVSE that not only keeps up with morning warmup but you can also gain SOC during it.
Speaking of heater, which I understand may not be high on your priority list but is very high on mine :lol: while the 11/12 is not as efficient and takes longer to warm up, if you use the morning warmup it gets much warmer inside the car when you get in, it's very nice to get in a toasty warm 80+ car than my 13S's just warm(70s?) interior, and I don't believe I can change either like some newer Leafs, it is what it is. Of course using the full morning warmup on the '12 results in a SOC in the mid 80s, having a degraded battery it tops out at about 90-92%, its really best for errands or a shortish(25 mile round trip) commute which leaves a little room for something unexpected.

johnnybegoode said:
I'd already gotten Leaf Spy Pro.
I would be looking at the Miles -> LBW @ 4.0 mi/kWh.
That's my range meter now.

What features from 2011-2012 were deleted?

LBW??? That would be useless. Set the parameter to 1% if you really want to know what you have. LBW is hiding 1/6th of your capacity! LEAF Spy allows you to set the parameter in 1% increments. If you want a safety margin, then set it to 2%

jjeff said:
GerryAZ said:

Yep #2 is by far my favorite feature. I personally don't like the light-colored velour(softer fabric) on my '12 and much prefer the black cloth on my '13S but my daughter who mostly drives it is like you. I also much prefer her white LED headlights to my yellowish halogens on my S. The biggest negative of the '11/'12 models is the awful original battery, hers is down to 8 bars and in the winter is lucky to get 40 miles and that's with limited use of the inefficient heater. Also the 11/12's lack the much nicer 6.6kw EVSE that not only keeps up with morning warmup but you can also gain SOC during it.
Speaking of heater, which I understand may not be high on your priority list but is very high on mine :lol: while the 11/12 is not as efficient and takes longer to warm up, if you use the morning warmup it gets much warmer inside the car when you get in, it's very nice to get in a toasty warm 80+ car than my 13S's just warm(70s?) interior, and I don't believe I can change either like some newer Leafs, it is what it is. Of course using the full morning warmup on the '12 results in a SOC in the mid 80s, having a degraded battery it tops out at about 90-92%, its really best for errands or a shortish(25 mile round trip) commute which leaves a little room for something unexpected.

Yes, the 6.6 kW onboard charger on the later cars is a substantial improvement (not quite twice as fast because the 3.3 kW rating was DC output while the 6.6 kW rating is AC input). The electric water tank heater worked well for the "cold" "winter" mornings in Phoenix because the water in the tank and lines would hold enough heat from preheating the car while plugged in to provide some warm air and defrost without drawing battery power for part of my morning commute. I was starting to look for a DCQC that would work on a 50A, 240V single-phase circuit for faster charging and was planning to insulate the water tank for even better heating before my 2011 met its untimely demise.

DaveinOlyWA said:
johnnybegoode said:
I'd already gotten Leaf Spy Pro.
I would be looking at the Miles -> LBW @ 4.0 mi/kWh.
That's my range meter now.

What features from 2011-2012 were deleted?

LBW??? That would be useless. Set the parameter to 1% if you really want to know what you have. LBW is hiding 1/6th of your capacity! LEAF Spy allows you to set the parameter in 1% increments. If you want a safety margin, then set it to 2%

I see no reason to advise people to over-stress their batteries. LBW works well for most people, including me. I know that I have at least 10 miles after that.

LeftieBiker said:
I see no reason to advise people to over-stress their batteries. LBW works well for most people, including me. I know that I have at least 10 miles after that.

If you want to know how many miles you MIGHT drive, sure, select 1%. Before taking a trip, move it back to LBW. Use that for the distance planning.

Generally, don't do go much below LBW. Oh, sure, if you really need to, do it. It might be the difference between 1000 full battery cycles and 1500 full battery cycles. Or 220,000 miles of life on the battery or 330,000 miles of life on the battery.

I'm going to get well over 100,000 miles on the 2014 LEAF. Sure, climate helps, but so does the fact I've been to VLBW exactly twice, and not much below that.

Battery life is longer if you avoid time at high charge levels, and if you avoid going to low charge levels.

It is not much of an issue to charge to 100% and then use it, just don't stay there. Time matters.

It is not much of an issue to stay at low charge levels for time. Time doesn't matter much.

LeftieBiker said:
The SOC display is much more useful than the GOM, and it is more accurate. No one claims it is dead accurate. Hyperbole isn't a good substitute for useful advice.
1+

OP:
Watch the GOM as you go up a hill, and then down a hill. Then you will understand why experienced LEAF drivers ignore it.

Get LeafSpy and follow (energy) kWh remaining. Just realize that it is up to you to take into account upcoming travel. Only you know if you are planning to travel fast or slow, up or down hill, with A/C blasting .... etc.

Perhaps an ICE analogy:
Say you have 5 gallons of petrol in your previous car. How far can you drive ?
The only possible answer is: it depends ... on terrain, speed, brake use, A/C use, road conditions, tyre pressure, headwind ...

1%?
Do you mean select under Settings-Range-% SOC Reserved,
select 1%?
Miles -> 1%

Dave is telling you to set a range margin that only leaves about 2% of the capacity in reserve, and can result in cell damage. I strongly disagree with that. The LBW and VLBW are useful markers for how far you can safely go without harming the battery. Also remember to recharge immediately after a trip if you go below 20%. If the battery is hot at the end of a trip that dips below 20%, recharge just long enough to get back up to 20-25%, and fully recharge later.

Back