Question About Generator & Nissan LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstroud

WHY CANT YOU PUT A TRAILER HITCH ON YOUR NISSAN LEAF, PUT A 8 TO 10 KW GENERATOR ON A SMALL ENCLOSED MOTORCYCLE TRAILER, TOW IT ALONG, IF YOU GET STRANDED YOU CAN WIRE THE FAST CHARGER INTO THE GENERATOR ALL GENERATORS HAVE A 220 VOLT OUTPUT PLUG, I HAVE 2 GENERATORS NOW FOR POWER OUTAGES , PLUG IT UP AND CHARGE YOUR BATTERIES, FOR NOW YOU WILL HAVE TO WAIT FOR A PERIOD OF TIME TO GET IT CHARGED UP. LATER ON I AM SURE SOMEONE WILL FIGURE OUT HOW TO CHARGE THE NISSAN LEAF WHILE DRIVING IT. I AM 90 MILES ROUND TRIP TO MY WORK LOCATION, SO I WILL PROBABLE HAVE TO RECHARGE , I HAVE NOT BOUGHT A LEAF YET BUT THINKING ABOUT IT. I NOW OWN A 2000 HONDA INSIGHT WHICH I MAY SELL TO BUY A LEAF.

I don't see any reason why you can't do that, but it won't be very efficient. You'll lose range towing the trailer, and small generators are pretty inefficient ways to make electricity.

But if you had to, it should work. Or of you needed to move the car across the country, and weren't in a big hurry, it might even be kind of fun.

OP: Please don't post in all CAPs. It's considered rude---like shouting.

Why drag around a trailer that uses gasoline to charge the car? Just buy a hybrid instead. :?

By the way, if your round trip commute is 90 miles, you *will* have to recharge at work, no probably about it (unless you plan to drive very slowly in a temperate climate)

45 miles one way should be easily doable though even as the battery ages some.

If you're covering that kind of distance five days a week you might actually save a decent amount of money with a leaf, but watch the mileage if you are thinking of leasing.

I checked the backroads and its about 43 miles and i would be driving from 55 to 60 mph, i still looks like i will have to recharge somewhere to get back home. there are a few hills , some start and stops. any thoughts from anyone?

Where do you live? In cold weather, with the heater running, you are talking about a LOT of recharge necessary at work. Who wants to run a noisy generator for 5-6 hours?? As others have said, a Volt, PiP, or even just a regular Prius would be a better choice for a 90 mile round trip commute, IMHO. The LEAF just doesn't have enough battery for your needs.

jstroud said:
I AM 90 MILES ROUND TRIP TO MY WORK LOCATION, SO I WILL PROBABLE HAVE TO RECHARGE , I HAVE NOT BOUGHT A LEAF YET BUT THINKING ABOUT IT.
TALK TO YOUR EMPLOYER ABOUT PROVIDING A PLACE TO PLUG IN. YOU COULD FULLY PAY FOR THE INSTALL AND STILL BE WAY LESS THAN THE HOMEMADE VOLT IDEA.

For the money it would cost to retrofit a Leaf and make a generator trailer, I'm sure it would be cheaper to buy a BMW i3 Rex, which has the same EV range as a Leaf with the generator already built in.

i am looking to install a 40 or 62kwh battery in my nissan leaf, does anyone know where i can get information to install a cam bridge and install this battery correctly the first time. i am a do it yourself person. thanks

jstroud said:
i am looking to install a 40 or 62kwh battery in my nissan leaf, does anyone know where i can get information to install a cam bridge and install this battery correctly the first time. i am a do it yourself person. thanks
https://evsenhanced.com/services/hv-battery-swaps-and-upgrades/ may help.

Back