2015 with 105k, battery / range

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red2015

I own a 2015 with (24KW) battery if I remember it correctly and the range was 86 miles when new.
My kids now drive it to her college and it reportedly at 6x miles ranges or so, upon a full overnight charge.

It is now at 105k on the odometer. Is this a normal range with battery degrade or should I have it check out at stealer for BPS ? From what she reports, it still have all full 12 bars on the guess-meter ...

TIA,

My kids now drive it to her college and it reportedly at 6x miles ranges or so, upon a full overnight charge.

Please explain this more clearly.

The capacity and range of an EV has pretty much nothing to do with the odometer mileage. What matters is how the battery was treated - especially how hot it has gotten, and for how long. Leaving an EV sitting with a full charge for days in warm or hot weather can harm the battery, as can charging it while it's hot. You'll get more responses, but it would help if you tried to be more clear about what you are asking. Welcome to the forum.

So the car had 12 bars / 86 miles ranges when new .
It is now 66 miles or so upon a full overnight plug-in charge with 12 bars.

It is normal for a battery degradation ?

Yes, it is. The car is most likely about to "lose" a capacity bar: the first one to go represents 15% of capacity, so it takes the longest to go away. I assume that this little trick was deliberate on Nissan's part. The next 10 or so bars after that are worth only 6% each, so they drop faster.

That 86 (83, I think) miles of range was Nissan's very optimistic estimate. It could be achieved with gentle driving at about 45MPH, but a new 24kwh pack is generally considered to have about 70 miles of range with more normal driving.

Back