New to Electric and looking to buy a Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If 4th digit of VIN is B then it's a 30kWh battery. If it's a 2017 model year Leaf, it has a 30kWh battery. As noted, its capacity now is the bottom line regardless of how many kWh the battery had when new.

The last Leaf SV with a 24kwh battery would be a 2015. In the first half of 2016 the S trim Leaf also had the 24kwh Lizard pack. In mid 2016 the S also got the 30kwh battery.

Loving the car , I don't think I'll never buy another gas powered vehicle .Going on monday to have the brake fluid replaced as the previous owner did not do any maintenance on the car in the two years the owned it. Just a question regarding Chargepoint level 2 charging station. My son has a hockey gam tonight and the arena has 4 Chargepoint Level 2 charges, it costs $1 an hour per hour for the first two hours then $5 after that. I was thinking of charging the car for a couple of hours while the hockey game is on , since I don't have my level 2 charger installed yet at home. What type of charge can I expect for the 2 hours. The car is sitting at 37% right now. What type of output do the Chargepoint stations do?

The Level 2 ChargePoint is likely to charge at about 20 amperes ( it should tell you), so in 2 hours probably about 9.6 kWh. If your battery is a 30 kW and it is at 37% AND it has full capacity (or close to it), you SHOULD add about 30% during the game. ChargePoint will tell you, when you unplug, how much has gone in which is a good way to get a handle on what is REALLY happening..... good luck!

Just beware that some stations split the power between 2 plugs so if the other plug is used while you're charging you will only get 1/2 the power you would receive if your car was the only one there. The app will tell you that and even notify you if you start at full power and then someone else plugs into the other side (and cuts your power in half) while you are there.

Dyno1 said:
What type of charge can I expect for the 2 hours.
Look up the location on the plugshare app, it is likely to say.
If it reports Amps then calculate by 208V since that is typical for commercial properties.

Amps * Volts = watts

Blind guess ? 6 kW

dmacarthur said:
Blind guess ? 6 kW

Tesla owner guesses 6 kW, Leaf owner guesses 9.6 kW. Let us know who is closer.......

LEAF owner mixes newbie up with kW and kWh :lol:

You earlier wrote 9.6 kWh -- 4.8 kW * 2 hours
I am guessing 6 kW * 2 hours => 12 kWh
.. although a better guess is probably 27.5 Amps * 208 V = 5.7 kW, so 11.4 kWh over two hours

---
If we guess 24 kWh usable then his SoC will increase 50% by my first guess, 47% by my better guess

6.02 kW in 2 hours? that is pretty slow.... and how much did that add to your State of Charge? this will tell you something about the overall capacity. Should have been about 20%.....

L-2 charging will slow down a lot when the battery is cold, too. I mean "Winter cold," not normally cold. I remember freezing in my 2013 SV, in front of a Chili's in frigid weather, heat off because charging was so slow, as it ticked off another percent every few minutes.

LeftieBiker said:
I'm not one of the bigger Correctors here. Cwerdna will be along eventually.

You wrote "L-2 charging will slow down a lot when the battery is cold, too."

6 kW is not slow for the LEAF

SageBrush said:
LeftieBiker said:
I'm not one of the bigger Correctors here. Cwerdna will be along eventually.

You wrote "L-2 charging will slow down a lot when the battery is cold, too."

6 kW is not slow for the LEAF

You don't seem to realize that the car can charge at less then 6kw, then. Try charging in near 0F weather with the battery not much warmer than that.

LeftieBiker said:
You don't seem to realize that the car can charge at less then 6kw, then. Try charging in near 0F weather with the battery not much warmer than that.
Dyno1 wrote that the car charged at 6 kW. He was following up his earlier question wondering what charge rate he would get at a certain location this week.

In the future, you may wish to read the thread and have a clue what is being discussed before you jump in.

Back