LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Re: Disable EV Sound on 2021 Leaf?

Good choice. IIRC, the Recognizers - at least in the video game - sounded like electronic diesel engines. Not very appropriate for an EV. ;)

It's funny, I only saw the movie for the first time a few years ago.
Brilliant Silver 2021 Leaf SV40 W/ Pro Pilot & Protection
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 2 lithium E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.
frontrangeleaf
Delivery Date: 08 Jul 2019

As a person married to someone with partial blindness, I'll weigh in here and just observe that there really is a safety concern. There's no question that ICE cars make more noise than a Leaf when moving slowly. None. A sighted person doesn't walk in the same shoes as someone with a disability. No you're not qualified to judge what it's like to not be able to see.

And if you hit my wife having disabled something that was intended to help her know that you're approaching, plan on hiring a very good attorney to defend your actions in court. We'll see what a jury of your peers has to say about your actions.

I think the whole discussion is ridiculously selfish. Seriously? A little whooing noise bothers you that much? Get over it already.

'Nuff said.
Empty-nesters - NW Denver-Boulder Area

2019 Leaf SL Plus
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
2007 BMW Z4 3.0Si
2012 VW GTI: SOLD
jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

frontrangeleaf wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:31 am I think the whole discussion is ridiculously selfish. Seriously? A little whooing noise bothers you that much? Get over it already.
Actually, the loud backup "beep beep" bothered me a lot. It bothered my daughter a hell of a lot more, as her bedroom was above the garage.
ICE free since '18 / over 126K 100% BEV miles since '14
LEAF 2013 SL (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17, sold 11/18, 34K mi, AHr 58, SOH 87%)
Tesla S 75D (3/17, 52K mi, repaired! :D)
Tesla X 100D (12/18, 40K mi)
8.9kW Solar PV and 2x Powerwall
frontrangeleaf
Delivery Date: 08 Jul 2019

More comical than anything else.

Like it thinks it's a little bulldozer or something.
Empty-nesters - NW Denver-Boulder Area

2019 Leaf SL Plus
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
2007 BMW Z4 3.0Si
2012 VW GTI: SOLD
Twigsandleaves
Delivery Date: 01 Jul 2021

frontrangeleaf wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:31 am As a person married to someone with partial blindness, I'll weigh in here and just observe that there really is a safety concern. There's no question that ICE cars make more noise than a Leaf when moving slowly. None. A sighted person doesn't walk in the same shoes as someone with a disability. No you're not qualified to judge what it's like to not be able to see.

And if you hit my wife having disabled something that was intended to help her know that you're approaching, plan on hiring a very good attorney to defend your actions in court. We'll see what a jury of your peers has to say about your actions.

I think the whole discussion is ridiculously selfish. Seriously? A little whooing noise bothers you that much? Get over it already.

'Nuff said.
My favorite part was "There's no question that ICE cars make more noise than a Leaf when moving slowly. None."

As if by saying that some undeniable truth had just dawned upon us all.
And yet...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_ ... nds#Nissan

as an example

"The vehicle must make a continuous noise level of at least 56 dBA (within 2 meters) if the car is going 20 km/h (12 mph) or slower, and a maximum of 75 dBA."

for reference

https://ehs.yale.edu/sites/default/file ... -chart.pdf

with a relatively recent prius being

2018 Prius Hybrid dB
idle 35.9
55 mph 45.5
65 mph 53.8
70 mph 66.8
75 mph 69.2
85 mph 71.8

It's obviously going to depend on what vehicle is being driven under what conditions by who. Are they coasting downhill? Is it one of the more recent SUV models that shut off the engine entirely at stop lights to save gas, then suddenly flatten the unsuspecting pedestrians in the crosswalk before they can call Saul?

Maybe examples from people I know personally who have been hit by ICE vehicles such as a late model Camry they didn't hear (which you would have noticed if you read the entire thread mind you) would help. Obviously these systems exist for a reason, yes there is risk to disabled people, but let's remember the pedestrian-car interaction isn't just helpless blind ladies being preyed upon by hit and run drivers. In my area (as an example) we have many people that are essentially wandering around looking at their phones with headphones in their ears. Factor in that a decent percentage of those are also high on recently legalized marijuana and a large dose of antagonism from people practically challenging cars to hit them (we have the highest insurance rates in the country for a reason) and hopefully it becomes apparent that the ProPilot system braking when these idiots wander into the street is more likely to save their life than the Tron sound.

Deciding who is "selfish" is in the eye of the beholder, but I hope melodramatic references to lawyering up can be left behind for the purposes of a productive conversation. I'm much more interested in evidence and experiences that have actually happened than that mess.

Let me be clear, I did not buy my Leaf with the intention of silently stalking unsuspecting old ladies just to run them over, nor am I planning on modifying the car to make that easier.
LeftieBiker

Let me be clear, I did not buy my Leaf with the intention of silently stalking unsuspecting old ladies just to run them over, nor am I planning on modifying the car to make that easier.
That's why we have charge of "Manslaughter" as well as that of "Murder." When it comes to how we interact with others, what we do to them is vastly more important than what we intend, or what we feel about them.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.
Ital74
Delivery Date: 07 Mar 2022
Leaf Number: 558867

Is there no option to pick a different sound? My neighbor just got an Audi e-tron and i believe he told me he is able to select different sound effects,
salyavin
Delivery Date: 30 Dec 2019
Leaf Number: 318726

Yea I always thought there was an untapped market for downloadable sounds for EVs like steam engine, diesel truck, horse, v8, jet engine. One could even license old video game sounds and have your light cycle or be pac-man.
Last edited by salyavin on Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeftieBiker

Jupiter 2, Jetsons' car, 2-stroke scooter, Batmobile...
BAFX OBDII Dongle
salyavin
Delivery Date: 30 Dec 2019
Leaf Number: 318726

LeftieBiker wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:55 pm Jupiter 2, Jetsons' car, 2-stroke scooter, Batmobile...
Yes exactly!

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”