200V AC Japanese EVSE on 230V AC NZ Power system: Any probs?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samgab

Hi. In NZ here, I am seeing a lot of Nissan Leafs being imported lately. I'm thinking of getting one. The standard Japanese market EVSE that comes packaged with them is rated "200V AC input", "200V AC output".
What most second hand import dealers here do, is get an electrician to swap the plug to a standard NZ/AU 15A plug, and use it. No internal mods at all.
I have seen inside a Japanese spec EVSE, and I can see that the internal transformer is marked "200 V AC in, 19 V AC out".
And I can't read the markings on it, but I presume the MOV is also 200V rated.

Now, I understand that in Japan, the "200V AC" would be within certain tolerances, so it may be above or below 200V by a certain percentage of fluctuation, although probably not as high as 230V.
Same with the NZ supply, it can fluctuate up and down within about a -6%/+10% range.
So there may be some overlap there between the 2 system's allowable voltage ranges.
And there are probably safety margins engineered into the EVSE, being a high quality Panasonic unit.]

All this being said, I am concerned about the long term use of a 200V AC EVSE on a 230V AC power supply.
I wonder if the EVSE would be running hotter than designed, eg the MOV might be up in the range where it starts clamping.

Any electrical engineers wanting to weigh in on this?
img_6

img_5

img_2

Not the expert you're looking for, but Japan mostly runs on 110V like the US.

Also, if you're at all concerned, EVSE Upgrade will replace the internals to make it 100-240V tolerant.

mctom987 said:
Not the expert you're looking for, but Japan mostly runs on 110V like the US.

Also, if you're at all concerned, EVSE Upgrade will replace the internals to make it 100-240V tolerant.

Thanks mctom... Actually, strangely enough, Japan uses 100V AC; different from USA and almost everywhere else in the world. Another strange anomaly with Japan is that half the country is on 50Hz and the other half is on 60Hz. -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity_sector_in_Japan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-- http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2225.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Heavy duty devices though, such as dryers, (and Leaf EVSE's) in Japan run on 200V, as you can see in the picture of the printing marked on the outside of the Japanese EVSE.

I know of evseupgrade.com, and have contacted them. I'll probably end up buying a new Lvl2 EVSE from them as a backup in case the original one dies.
A lot of Japanese import Leaf buyers in NZ seem to be using the 200V EVSE unmodified on our 230V supply without issue, so I guess I'll do that. I'm hoping that the built in tolerances will have accounted for power fluctuations over and above the 230V which we run at.

Most electronic parts including transformers can easily handle 10-20% fluctuations on the rated voltage and work fine. You should be OK.. if others have done it and it has been working fine you should be OK too.

Can you suggest if after the modification you were able to use this charger or not... I have a similar situation and just asking if thats possible

My guess is that it will be OK (I'm an EE). I see there's a fuse in there which should eliminate the fire hazard. If the the MOV is before the fuse you could carefully (one hand behind back) see if it's cooking, otherwise the fuse will tell you the story. The fact that the car dealers keep doing it is a good sign it's not a problem.

groversum said:
Can you suggest if after the modification you were able to use this charger or not... I have a similar situation and just asking if thats possible
I changed this transformer rectifier unit and install new one with 230V AC output 18V DC (see foto). Everything is ok.

Hi all,

I am in the same situation as OP. I have an original Nissan EVSE and would like to get it converted to use a standard caravan port in NZ.

I got the caravan port installed at my house by an electrician, and the port is using wires and fuse breakers certified for 32amp power supply (for future proofing if I ever get a car with an EVSE that can handle that power)

So im not concerned about the power supply and caravan port.

However, I would love to hear from anyone that has converted their plug head to a caravan plug and changed the transformer as per ELT201?

ELT201 - Have you had any issues since? How long have you been using it? Did you switch to a caravan plug head too?

The only issue I could see is it maybe could fry the metal oxide varisistor.
When I converted my evse from boring US 120v power to use 240v US power I had to remove the MOV surge protector and install my own.
The control transformer may get hot running the slightly higher NZ voltage.
But if everyone is doing it is probably fine.
Do you know what the 230v power there actually reads on a multi meter?

More than likely they are using 300v MOVs on 200 and 230v systems.

I did not have to replace my control transformer because in the US we use 120/240v center tapped transformers. So all I did was run transformer primary wires from one of the lines to ground. So the transformer still gets 120v power to it.
This is not really allowed but oh well.

Japan uses 100 V and 200V. The us uses 120V and 240V. Some European countries use 220V and a 200V EVSE should work fine. A 100v EVSE will not; Most Leaf;s are calibrated for 100V charging. Thus the time for L1 charging is off. It is merely cosmetic since who looks at the charging time?

The generation 2 leaf EVSE doesn't need the 230v transformer rectifier unit, but when you cut the cable to change the Japanese plug for a NZ caravan plug there are two additional yellow wires. These need to be joined with a 10kOhm thermistor between them, which can be bought from Jaycar. I used a strip connector because soldering might cause issues with the thermistor. The thermistor is a temperature sensor which reduces the amperage if the plug heats up.

Dear Users,

I have the same issue as samgab.

I just bought a Nissan Leaf 2 (received yesterday) and the charger comes with a 200v 15A input and same as output.

I am facing 2 big issues. Can you please help? The battery is nearly at 0%

The issue is that, here in Mauritius, we have 220-240 V. So, I am in a real trouble. Don't know what to do?

Second issue is that the plug is a Japanese standard that is not available here.

Please please help.

Thanks for your reply.

Dear All,

I just received a second hand Nissan Leaf 2 from Japan. I am very happy but I have 2 issues.

The battery is already nearly 0% and I have a charger with input 200V 15A and output 200V 15A. The thing is that in Mauritius we use 200-240 V. So how to do use the charger? Any special arrangement?

The other thing is that the plug is a special one. It’s not a classic 2 or 3 pin. So can we cut the cable and replace it with a classic plug?

Please help….

Thanks 🙏 in advance fro your help.

Dear User,

Have you got any issue using the 200V EVSE with a 230 v supply from the NZ grid?

Thanks

m107 said:
To noelho or others:

Has anyone in NZ done this? I am considering it.

I decided against modifying the EVSE since I dont have the experience or expertise to do it.

I did however order a custom adaptor online to adapt the japanese plug to a NZ commando plug.

theoretically it shouldnt be an issue since the wiring is all up to spec, but if there is an electrical shortcircuit/fire, insurance will be an issue.

I only ordered the custom adaptor so that I can have the EVSE as a back up. Will not leave it unattended.

I don't think you should modify anything.

This is not the first time that voltages are off 10-20 volts.... VERY SIMPLE... Call your power utility and speak to a technician and tell them you got new equipment (from another country) rated for 200 volts....

I am sure they answer this question all the time..

Don't cut unless you have to and if you know what you are doing...

Heed the warnings of death and dismemberment on your electrical equipment.
I don't, but you should.

Back