kicker
Delivery Date: 01 Jan 2020
Leaf Number: 57212

Re: 200V AC Japanese EVSE on 230V AC NZ Power system: Any probs?

Wed May 27, 2020 3:00 am

ELT201 wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:41 pm
I changed this transformer rectifier unit and install new one with 230V AC output 18V DC (see foto). Everything is ok.
I have just modified my Japanese 200V charger with the same unit above. It is quite a good fit, some slotting of the mounting holes and trimming a small bit of plastic in the evse case and it can be installed securely.
I only found 3 wires going to the original plug with no sign of a thermistor.
I also swapped out the Japanese plug for a 16A caravan one, I figure it's the right rating and I can easily install a socket in my garage plus I could charge the car at any campgound if needed.

groversum
Delivery Date: 10 Apr 2018

Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:27 am

Can i ask for some help from you to convert mine as well ? I have similar one and would like to get a similar conversion done. I have already used the Gen 1 charger in the past on 10 amps and burnt 2 plugs

NZOldFart
Delivery Date: 04 Oct 2020
Leaf Number: 104719

Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:36 pm

noelho wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:58 pm
m107 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:49 pm
To noelho or others:

Has anyone in NZ done this? I am considering it.
I decided against modifying the EVSE since I dont have the experience or expertise to do it.

I did however order a custom adaptor online to adapt the japanese plug to a NZ commando plug.

theoretically it shouldnt be an issue since the wiring is all up to spec, but if there is an electrical shortcircuit/fire, insurance will be an issue.

I only ordered the custom adaptor so that I can have the EVSE as a back up. Will not leave it unattended.
Sorry I know this is an old thread butI’m just looking at this now. Noelho I’m just wondering what the adaptor was that you got and where from? I’ve tried googling and search on Aliexpress but can’t seem to get any match for the Japanese 15 amp plug to commando plug adaptor. Do you have a link? I’m looking to do the same as you - just as a backup and if travelling.

Thanks

Oilpan4
Delivery Date: 10 May 2018
Leaf Number: 004270

Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:58 am

Just lop off the incorrect plug and install what you use there.
"THE ABOVE POST CONTAINS MISLEADING AND INACCURATE INFORMATION. PLEASE CONSIDER IT OPINION, NOT FACT". -someone who I offended and is unable to produce the facts in question.

noelho
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2019

Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:57 pm

NZOldFart wrote:
noelho wrote:
m107 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:49 pm
To noelho or others:

Has anyone in NZ done this? I am considering it.
I decided against modifying the EVSE since I dont have the experience or expertise to do it.

I did however order a custom adaptor online to adapt the japanese plug to a NZ commando plug.

theoretically it shouldnt be an issue since the wiring is all up to spec, but if there is an electrical shortcircuit/fire, insurance will be an issue.

I only ordered the custom adaptor so that I can have the EVSE as a back up. Will not leave it unattended.
Sorry I know this is an old thread butI’m just looking at this now. Noelho I’m just wondering what the adaptor was that you got and where from? I’ve tried googling and search on Aliexpress but can’t seem to get any match for the Japanese 15 amp plug to commando plug adaptor. Do you have a link? I’m looking to do the same as you - just as a backup and if travelling.

Thanks
Sure. I ordered this item and told them to customize the head to fit the EVSE.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3285819 ... 4c4doCNsdt

Before I placed the order, I messaged them privately to discuss if they could customize it. After they confirmed they could, I placed the order and added this additional note:
As per our conversation, please convert the IEC 320 C19 plug to Nema 6-20R. Thank you!

NZOldFart

Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:06 pm

noelho wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:57 pm
NZOldFart wrote:
noelho wrote:

Thanks
Sure. I ordered this item and told them to customize the head to fit the EVSE.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3285819 ... 4c4doCNsdt

Before I placed the order, I messaged them privately to discuss if they could customize it. After they confirmed they could, I placed the order and added this additional note:
As per our conversation, please convert the IEC 320 C19 plug to Nema 6-20R. Thank you!
Thanks for that. And you’ve found it to work ok? It seems a much simpler solution to cutting off the Japanese plug and fitting a commando plug with thermistor.

noelho

Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:20 pm

NZOldFart wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:06 pm
Thanks for that. And you’ve found it to work ok? It seems a much simpler solution to cutting off the Japanese plug and fitting a commando plug with thermistor.
I've only used it once for a full charge, and it worked without issue, and didnt even feel warm to the touch. I'm keeping it to use as a backup, just in case my EVSE fails and I need a charge.

Yeah, I was wary of trying to modify the EVSE, and to my non-technical mind, the adaptor itself should never be an issue, since all of the parts have a higher rating than the EVSE requires.

I reckon the only point of failure would be the transformer in the EVSE, but with the safety features of the EVSE, I assume it will shut down if there are any overheating issues.

NZOldFart

Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:18 am

noelho wrote:

Sorry to be a pain - Looking at the plug on the evse one of the prongs isn’t straight - it’s bent 90 degrees sort of like an L shape looking straight down. I’ve looked at the Nema 6-20P plugs I can find on line and they are all straight prongs. The receptacle 6-20R has one slot that can accommodate a horizontal or vertical prong to suit both 6-20P and 5-20P plugs from what I could see - but not sure if the L shaped prong of the evse would fit. Does your evse have the same sort of prong - or is it straight?

noelho

Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:02 pm

NZOldFart wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:18 am
Sorry to be a pain - Looking at the plug on the evse one of the prongs isn’t straight - it’s bent 90 degrees sort of like an L shape looking straight down. I’ve looked at the Nema 6-20P plugs I can find on line and they are all straight prongs. The receptacle 6-20R has one slot that can accommodate a horizontal or vertical prong to suit both 6-20P and 5-20P plugs from what I could see - but not sure if the L shaped prong of the evse would fit. Does your evse have the same sort of prong - or is it straight?
Haha. No worries. I went through the exact same headache researching for the correct plug heads. It was a real pain since I didnt know the technical names for any of these things.

I can confirm that my EVSE has the exact same plug head as yours, and that the 6-20R fits perfectly. Here are some pictures for your reference =)

https://imgur.com/a/u4XHFZG

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”