So the Photo Voltaic Solar Panel Spoiler is basically useless?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowayDon

I'm assuming that the spoiler solar panel only works while the car is ON?
While the car is sitting at the parking lot at work, the solar panel isn't charging the 12 volt accessory battery?

Going by reports from SL owners, the solar panel is essentially useless unless the car is parked in direct sunlight for many hours at a time. It's more a fashion statement than anything else.

LeftieBiker said:
Going by reports from SL owners, the solar panel is essentially useless unless the car is parked in direct sunlight for many hours at a time. It's more a fashion statement than anything else.
Some of us prefer the term 'cosmetic'. :D

I wonder how useful it really is..
I love having it.. ;-)
As for use.. I know I've read about people having issues with the 12v battery.
I haven't. And I leave my bluetooth ODB adapter plugged in all the time.
Then again, not everyone does. I drive my car a LOT every day.. So that's probably the real reason.
But I like to tell myself that the trickle charge is at least helping keep my 12v battery happier.. ;-)

desiv

The output was measured way back when and it is in the single digits of watts. Just about as close to nothing as you can get. Strictly eye candy.

davewill said:
The output was measured way back when and it is in the single digits of watts. Just about as close to nothing as you can get. Strictly eye candy.

Actually, the solar panel provides 50-80 ma (.05 - .08 amps) to trickle charge the 12V battery on a sunny day.
One of my ICE vehicles which is only started once a week for a few minutes has a solar panel providing about
50 ma and maintains the battery at about 13 volts. The battery is over four years old now and always provides
a strong cranking capability when starting.

So does it provides power to the battery when the car is "On" as well, for example, if I'm parked and listening to the radio (not blasting it), will it help to keep the 12V battery from going too low?

hmmwv said:
So does it provides power to the battery when the car is "On" as well, for example, if I'm parked and listening to the radio (not blasting it), will it help to keep the 12V battery from going too low?
Help? Yeah for very literal definitions of the word "help", but it doesn't put out enough to even come close to covering the draw of having the car on and the entertainment system going.

If the car is Ready mode, the DC/DC inverter will be providing the charge to the battery and it should not go dead... The solar panel only enters the mix when the car is not in Ready.

hmmwv said:

davewill said:
Help? Yeah for very literal definitions of the word "help", but it doesn't put out enough to even come close to covering the draw of having the car on and the entertainment system going.
The power described seems almost in the ballpark for what's required to combat the ongoing tendency of lead-acid batteries to degrade by sulfation. I don't remember hearing anyone address this directly, so I'll ask whether any the folks claiming that unless they regularly use addtional "battery tender" equipment, their LEAF's 12V battery quickly becomes toast have that 'useless' solar panel or not. 'Cause if having one means that I don't need to fiddle with attaching/detaching a battery tender, I would call that helping quite a bit.

TomT said:
If the car is On, the DC/DC inverter will be providing the charge to the battery and it should not go dead... The solar panel only enters the mix when the car is off.
No.
That is only the case if the LEAF is in Ready mode (foot on brake and push Start button).
In that mode it will hold the 12V voltage at a bit less than 13V.

In On mode (foot not on brake and push start button twice) the DC to DC will only activate to charge the 12V battery after the voltage has dropped very low. Something in 10V range. I gave specifics in a post about a year and a half back, but can't find the post.

That is, of course, correct. Sorry; my mind was thinking Ready as my fingers were typing On...

TimLee said:
No. That is only the case if the LEAF is in Ready mode (foot on brake and push Start button).
In that mode it will hold the 12V voltage at a bit less than 13V. In On mode (foot not on brake and push start button twice) the DC to DC will only activate to charge the 12V battery after the voltage has dropped very low.

Levenkay said:
... so I'll ask whether any the folks claiming that unless they regularly use addtional "battery tender" equipment, their LEAF's 12V battery quickly becomes toast have that 'useless' solar panel or not. 'Cause if having one means that I don't need to fiddle with attaching/detaching a battery tender, I would call that helping quite a bit.
I have the solar panel and if I left it parked in the sun 8 hours every day the 50 to 80 mA from the solar panel would help.
But I have a garage and it stays in the garage most of the time because heat is bad for capacity degradation of the $6,000 high voltage battery pack.

Keep in mind that the LEAF doing nothing normal drain is around 35 mA.
The 12V charging apparently does not account for that drain adequately.
Yes solar panel could help some.

But a significant problem for many of us is the Bluetooth OBDII adapter.
Someone measured that at 175 mA.
Yes we should unplug it.
But most of us don't.

I have started doing trickle charge twice a week.
And still this morning after it set three days unplugged after trickle charging and used for short ten mile trip yesterday, but with OBDII plugged in; I found 12V below 10V and it just barely started without jumping today.
26 month old 12V battery that was a free warranty replacement at the two year point.

Yes we should unplug it.
But most of us don't.

Use one with an on/off switch, just remember to shut it off :!: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mini-Vgate-ELM327-Bluetooth-ODB2-II-Car-Auto-Diagnostics-Scanner-w-Power-Switch-/111329509215?tfrom=111324079170&tpos=top&ttype=price&talgo=undefined

If my vehicle doesn't presently have a solar panel but I have the opportunity to purchase one, is it an easy add on or no full wiring etc is needed to make it work. Just wondering if I should take the shot or not.

nlspace said:
Save you money and time, it's a gimmick feature that doesn't do squat.

LOL, I refrained from posting because I felt the same way and figured someone would argue otherwise :lol:

alozzy said:
nlspace said:
Save you money and time, it's a gimmick feature that doesn't do squat.

LOL, I refrained from posting because I felt the same way and figured someone would argue otherwise :lol:

As noted up-thread, it does provide 50-60 ma which is typically enough to provide for the standby currents
of the Leaf's ECUs and also provide a small 12V charging current. Obviously, to consider a retro-fit of the panel
is questionable, but to each their own.

Back