Anyone actually had the OCS recall fixed?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstur

I'm interested in purchasing a 2013 SV, but the VIN is part of the 16V-244 recall for the OCS (airbag) sensor.

Has anyone actually had their vehicle fixed under this recall? The NTSA listing for it says no remedy is available.

I also read one article that suggested that as long as the passenger airbag light didn't come on while a passenger was in the seat, it was safe even if not yet fixed.

I have no desire to purchase an unsafe vehicle, but otherwise this one is perfect and I'm curious as to what the actual ramifications of the recall are (and if there is any hint of a timeline for a remedy becoming available).

I had the OCS recall done on the 4th. I would have to look at the invoice from the dealer, but I believe there is a sensor pad in the seat that they replace. The issue is that the sensor did not always properly detect light weight passengers and disable the air bag. If you are concerned about safety, do not let anyone other than a full-size adult ride in the front passenger seat. Contact your Nissan dealer and ask. Mine had the part in stock.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but how do I know if my Leaf has this problem? We've noticed that as we drive around the passenger air bag off light is usually lit, even with my wife in the passenger seat. Of course I'm not too concerned since the max speed limit in town is 35mpg, and most of the streets we put around on at 20mph.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Don't wait, the parts are available, get it done, there's no cost to you, except time.

If it's been done, the light stays on unless someone is sitting there.
Thanks! I need another key made and the TCU upgraded too. Now I just have to figure out how to get my Leaf to a Nissan dealer that can do the work.

IssacZachary said:
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but how do I know if my Leaf has this problem? We've noticed that as we drive around the passenger air bag off light is usually lit, even with my wife in the passenger seat. Of course I'm not too concerned since the max speed limit in town is 35mpg, and most of the streets we put around on at 20mph.

If your wife weighs more than 100lbs, it's not working right.

I went in in December for another issue, and they thought they had the part, but didn't. Yesterday they said they had it now, and I will go in sometime this week. (It if 40 miles from here). They said it takes 90 minutes.

Update: I was able to phone the dealer once they opened, and they said the part was available and it could be fixed.

The site to look up whether or not you're part of the recall is here:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

You just need the VIN.

The dealer claimed the recall may be serviceable by reprogramming the device, and it would only be replaced if the reprogramming failed.

Since it's fixable and seems like no big deal, I'll be going ahead with the purchase! Very exciting.

jstur said:
Update: I was able to phone the dealer once they opened, and they said the part was available and it could be fixed.

The site to look up whether or not you're part of the recall is here:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

You just need the VIN.

The dealer claimed the recall may be serviceable by reprogramming the device, and it would only be replaced if the reprogramming failed.

Since it's fixable and seems like no big deal, I'll be going ahead with the purchase! Very exciting.
I typed in my VIN and yes, it says my Leaf is on the OCS recall. I better get ahold of a Nissan dealer and see what can be done.

Even though my OCS sensor wasn't working anymore in my 2011 Leaf, Nissan didn't have it as part of the recall. It would cost me $3000 to have the entire seat replaced (which is apparently how they fix it in my car).

Check out this website - https://airbag360.com/nissan-leaf--occupant-classification-system-ocs-sensor-emulator--bypass-578-p.asp

They sell a part for every car that will bypass the sensor and will leave the airbag on all the time. Not safe if you ever plan on having a child or baby in the front seat, which you shouldn't do anyway, but otherwise, it will solve the problem of the airbags off when they should be on.

elektra369 said:
They sell a part for every car that will bypass the sensor and will leave the airbag on all the time. Not safe if you ever plan on having a child or baby in the front seat, which you shouldn't do anyway, but otherwise, it will solve the problem of the airbags off when they should be on.

Anyone considering this should be aware of the potential hazards I outlined here:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=27887#p550169

Back