jim0266
Delivery Date: 17 Mar 2017
Leaf Number: 330446

Re: Hx dropping constantly!

Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:13 pm

Good question. All I can offer are these stats:

At 9,305 miles I was at 60.11, 91%, 92.28% (AHr, SOH, Hx).
100% charge was showing 260 GIDS 20.2 kWh remaining

at 11,065 miles 66.65, 100%, 102.34
100% charge was showing 284 GIDS and 22.0 kWh remaining

I'm back in free fall state. On the way home I drove 8 miles and watched the Hx value fall from 98.91 to 98.17. The car is around 50% SOC. I'm going to charge at work tomorrow and see if the numbers will climb on the way home with pulse driving. Past experience says no, but it will be a good test.

jim0266

Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:19 am

Latest stats. After two pulsing sessions LeafSpy is reporting 66.86 AHr, 100% SOH and 104.18 Hx. My 14 SV is at 12,255 miles. It will, of course, start dropping over the next few weeks, but how long will the Leaf play this game? I have been as low as 91% SOH back in May before I started this experiment.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 2075187567

alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:02 pm

Better question is how long will you keep playing this game ;)

Stop worrying about it so much. The main things to avoid are:
  • High temperature charging
  • Keeping the pack idle at either low or high states of charge for a long period of time
  • Frequently cycling the pack charge between 80% and 100% SOC
If you avoid those bad habits, then everything else is pretty much out of your hands.

Obsessing over the pack health will ruin your enjoyment of the car.
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

jim0266

Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:35 am

alozzy wrote:Better question is how long will you keep playing this game ;)
  • Keeping the pack idle at either low or high states of charge for a long period of time
If you avoid those bad habits, then everything else is pretty much out of your hands.
I've followed your suggestions another other common wisdom since I purchased the car. By "Grandpa" driving I watched my battery SOH drop from 100% to 91%. If I can keep my battery SOH high and extend the useful life of the battery by changing driving habits, it's worth investigating to negate Nissan's inferior battery technology.

valem
Delivery Date: 24 Sep 2018
Leaf Number: 405151

Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:58 am

jim0266 wrote:
I've followed your suggestions another other common wisdom since I purchased the car. By "Grandpa" driving I watched my battery SOH drop from 100% to 91%. If I can keep my battery SOH high and extend the useful life of the battery by changing driving habits, it's worth investigating to negate Nissan's inferior battery technology.
So I am curious...
It has been about a year and 1/2 since this post... Still doing the pulsing thing? How's your battery holding up?
The main question I have is about range. Have you done any range test to confirm battery is indeed still healthy?

I'm going nuts over my battery stats dropping, mostly because I am concerned about loss of range, obviously.
I tried this pulsing thing a few times, but then stopped, realizing that it must be fooling the BMS, as there's no way it can be good for the battery.

But I am still curios.

Jim, if you're still around I am interested to hear how your battery is doing.

Cheers
2013 Silver SL 35,800 mi
Tinted windows.
Battery replaced 05/15/17 @ 29,677 mi

valem

Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:28 pm

Bump
2013 Silver SL 35,800 mi
Tinted windows.

jim0266

Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:18 pm

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:37 am

jim0266 wrote:
Complaining about "inferior battery charging" is like eating a steak at a restaurant and complaining they are bad the following week. You ate the steak by buying the car like all of us, and your issues are no different from everyone else's. We don't complain about it.

a) your concerns will not get you squat if you are trying to establish a paper trail to $$
b) As Alozzy stated, you need to stop obsessing about your battery because there ain't a honey diddly you can do about it. We are all getting older together, so let's all enjoy the ride.
c) As I mentioned in another post, you cannot interpret ANYTHING about small changes in the battery statistics.

joeriv

Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:48 am

By "Grandpa" driving I watched my battery SOH drop from 100% to 91%. If I can keep my battery SOH high and extend the useful life of the battery by changing driving habits, it's worth investigating to negate Nissan's inferior battery technology.
A lot to unpack here. You make a claim [“extend the useful life”] that is not backed up by your testing. I read all that you did with great interest, and what’s lacking is a definitive tie to a relationship between your driving approach and range. Until you can show a “before and after” test that proves your technique results in a positive impact on range, I am left with the opinion that this is “BMS Spoofing”.

Let me be clear: I totally respect the time and effort you have put into this and I commend you for your efforts - at a minimum you have raised some very interesting observations on the Leaf’s BMS system.
2017 Leaf S with QC, JUN mfg date

valem

Mon May 06, 2019 8:46 pm

joeriv wrote:
By "Grandpa" driving I watched my battery SOH drop from 100% to 91%. If I can keep my battery SOH high and extend the useful life of the battery by changing driving habits, it's worth investigating to negate Nissan's inferior battery technology.
A lot to unpack here. You make a claim [“extend the useful life”] that is not backed up by your testing. I read all that you did with great interest, and what’s lacking is a definitive tie to a relationship between your driving approach and range. Until you can show a “before and after” test that proves your technique results in a positive impact on range, I am left with the opinion that this is “BMS Spoofing”.

Let me be clear: I totally respect the time and effort you have put into this and I commend you for your efforts - at a minimum you have raised some very interesting observations on the Leaf’s BMS system.

I concur and this Jim guy has not answered. I've asked him the following twice:

Jim, thanks for posting.
But I have a question. What is your range... if you charge to 100% and drive on a flat road with 55mph cruise how far can you go before low charge kicks in?
What is your miles per % SOC at 45mph, 55mph, 65mph
In other words has your pulse driving preserved the range ... stats are nice, but what about range, that's ultimately what matters.
Thanks!

twice No answer, he just dropped off the radar.
I've had my "used" Leaf now for just over 7 months in FL, and I noticed how battery capacity increases with higher battery temperature.
So I can only assume that this pulse driving causes a temporary increase in battery capacity as it increases batt temp. which in the long run will cause battery health to deteriorate.

My $0.02

Mr. Jim if you're still out there please provide some insight on your range. Gracias
2013 Silver SL 35,800 mi
Tinted windows.

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”