Can someone help me interpret this LeafSpy screen?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airstream65

Hello!

This is from my new to me 2015 SL.

5wvEusB.jpg

Thanks

Sorry to have nothing to contribute, but I'd like to bump up the plaintive wail for explanation, as I've always found LeafSpy confusing. The online LeafSpy manual claims that
The red bars represent those cell pairs that have the shunt active to bleed off some of the stored energy and balance the battery pack
, which seems to say that only the two very highest-voltage cells shown in the OP's histogram don't have their shunts on; wtf ??? So the rest of the cells will be pulled even farther out of balance?? If someone is able to give it, I would really like to hear an explanation of this counterintuitive coloring of the cell voltage histogram bars.

Battery condition appears to be like new. Do you know the history of the car? I am guessing that it has been in a cool climate for its entire life or the LBC (lithium battery controller) has been reset by an unscrupulous dealer or repair shop. There is a setting in LEAF Spy for the shunt order. I am still not sure what the correct shunt order setting should be after using Leaf Spy Pro for 4-1/2 years on two different cars. The QC count of 2 indicates that the car has only had one quick charge after leaving the factory (1 charge during factory testing). The climate control and/or charge timer were likely used often to cause the L1/L2 charge count to be a little high for the odometer reading. Enjoy your new to you car.

The LeafSpy developer monitors this thread:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19147&start=400

I would suggest you repost there if you want definitive answers.

The battery is either in like new condition or it was reset.
You will know in a month or two when you LeafSpy again

Or you can go for a r/t drive on the highway at ~ 100 kph without accessory use. A like new battery should be good for ~ 144 km unless the driving conditions are poor. You can use the change in SoC for shorter drives, but be sure to drive at least 50 miles total and end at your starting point.

I've been driving the car for almost a month now and I have put about 800 KM (500 miles) on it. since it was new to me, and I just took this screenshot yesterday. Most of my trips have only been down to about 50% battery, not sure if I've been on a really long range drive with it yet, I'll give that a try today and see if anything changes on the LeafSpy screen. I picked up the car used from a Nissan Dealer, but they don't know the history of the car either. So no idea if the battery was replaced at all during its previous life.

Increasingly high chance you have a like new battery :D

I suggested you take a long drive to correlate actual range to the LeafSpy result.

Airstream65 said:
Hello!

This is from my new to me 2015 SL.

5wvEusB.jpg

Thanks

Well first off you want to know what the likely high water marks are

ahr; 67.20
GIDs 284 (GID =77.5 wh)

The rest are HIGHLY variable.

Is this a full charge? When you are this close to full, its important info to know.

SageBrush said:

I suggested you take a long drive to correlate actual range to the LeafSpy result.

New?? Its 5% degraded. I would be a "bit" upset if anyone passed this off as new.

Airstream65 said:
I've been driving the car for almost a month now and I have put about 800 KM (500 miles) on it. since it was new to me, and I just took this screenshot yesterday. Most of my trips have only been down to about 50% battery, not sure if I've been on a really long range drive with it yet, I'll give that a try today and see if anything changes on the LeafSpy screen. I picked up the car used from a Nissan Dealer, but they don't know the history of the car either. So no idea if the battery was replaced at all during its previous life.

HIGHLY unlikely it was replaced. This is the norm in your location for 2015's. Some of your numbers are off. the 100%+ SOH is obviously incorrect. I would look more to ahr and Hx for a more realistic picture.

DaveinOlyWA said:
SageBrush said:

New?? Its 5% degraded. I would be a "bit" upset if anyone passed this off as new.
It has more Ahr capacity than many a car right off the lot.

SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
SageBrush said:

It has more Ahr capacity than many a car right off the lot.

No. that reading is typical for a 2015 chemistry battery. The AHr capacity is higher than the 2011-2013 batteries.
This is the reading off the new battery installed in my 2013 SV last October.
Oct 20, 2017 - AHr=65.40, SOH=100%, Hx=100.00%, odo=25,771 miles, QC=4 L1/L2=2262
This is what it read today.
Apr 20, 2018 - AHr=64.88, SOH=99.2%, Hx=96.78%, odo=27,247 miles, QC=4 L1/L2=2553

Thanks for the input everyone.

Here's some more screenshots with a few hundred more KM's added on. Seems like we've got a good battery so far!

Et76p5k.jpg

Ht4DQ6O.png

anru0GA.png

L75zkxO.jpg

Airstream65 said:
I'm wondering if this isn't a very active forum, or maybe I've posted in the wrong area?
I also have seen this result: Nobody seems to have an explanation, we are told the 430R resistor in the BMS is the bleed resistor, with 10mA bleed!, but that does not work for me, far too low? And the Leaf does a fantastic job of equallizing the pack. There are also too many passive components around the BMA, and indictors in series with every balance connection, seems to me it could be active balancing, has anyone EVER measured the balance current capability? shunt 1 cell pair with a 10R 5W resistor and measure the current in the balance wire. Also check the voltage on the bottom balance wire with a scope, see if there is an ac component.
If it is active, then the red bars may not indicate a shunted cell, may be the cells that are receiving charge from others.

Back