Where / how do i find my motor number ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TobyHolland

I couldn't find this on a 'search' , so apologies if its a repeat -

I'm trying to register my UK Leaf 2012 here in Hungary - I need to show them the motor number - the handbook is too vague for my old brain !!!

also, how do i find if i have the EM57 or EM61 motor ???

TIA

Toby

anybody, please ?

In the US, model year 2011 and 2012 Leafs had motor EM61.

Model years 2013 thru at least 2018 have EM57.

See pics at https://insideevs.com/used-nissan-leaf-buying-guide/. Model years 2013 thru 2017 look like the 2013 to 2015 pic there.

I don't know anything about motor number that you're asking about.

Everybody in the world knows that one... Each ICE motor has a serial number to be able to trace thieves who swap motors illegally.

I would imagine that you could put down the motor number as the actual car vin number...

Anybody know, please ?

Registration is in a week, and 'guessing' isn't a Bureaucratic Thing over here :-O

Have you tried asking at a dealer? If there is a serial number on the motor I'd guess the dealer should be able to retrieve it from the VIN.

Thankyou, yes, I've done that - the trouble is, as detailed 'I HAVE to show them the motor serial number' - any or all of the Documents that I have it written on do not constitute visual confirmation of said number :eek:

This video shows the motor's VIN tag at 8:27, and 12:13

But you don't have to disassemble the car :). You can see the tag pretty easily by peeking in over the 12V battery, down to where the axle joins the motor assembly.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GG3QRPGlPc[/youtube]

LeftieBiker said:
So the VIN tag on the motor just shows the car's VIN, unsurprisingly.

Right, but the registrar wants proof the motor hasn't been swapped out. I imagine the tag is affixed with some tamper-proof fasteners or such.

Nubo said:
LeftieBiker said:
So the VIN tag on the motor just shows the car's VIN, unsurprisingly.

Right, but the registrar wants proof the motor hasn't been swapped out. I imagine the tag is affixed with some tamper-proof fasteners or such.

I get it, but...I've been through some horrific stuff with EV titles and registrations, and I have yet to be asked for proof that the serial number on an EV's motor matches the VIN on the frame.

I am not near the car so I cannot take a photo to post, but the service manuals for both 2011 and 2015 show the motor serial number on the side of the motor toward the front of the car (on the actual electric motor, not other components mounted above it). You should be able to see it without disassembling anything by looking down behind the radiator while standing in front of the car (motor is down low and somewhat cylindrical in shape).

Back