powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Re: Poor lighting while turning

Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:47 am

I am amazed how clever people find deficiencies in products that have been in use adequately for decades.

Headlights are made to see forward, and a little to the right (on right hand drive roads).

Lights are highly regulated, so I cannot imagine that the Leaf's lights are deficient. I have had mine almost 5 years and note no lighting deficiency on my base S model..

ChrisA
Delivery Date: 13 Dec 2017
Leaf Number: 424640

Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:55 pm

I appreciate everyone’s input, especially those that focus on solutions. I don’t demand that you to have the same experience I have.

I once owned a car that had special side lights that lit up when the turning signal was engaged, which provided a great side view. Most people don’t need that kind of light, since they are not driving on dark country roads at night. If I can find a way to add that feature to my Leaf, that will be a major upgrade.

I’m not suggesting the Leaf is deficient. (I did remove my comment about pedestrian safety from the original post--that was overstating it). I accept that there may be only a handful of people that are interested in this. All I need is to find one Leaf owner who has found a way to light up the turning radius.
Chris

2013 Leaf S
Laughing at gas stations.

estomax
Delivery Date: 21 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 424033

Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:31 pm

my saab and lexus had those side lights that lit up with the turn signal, they sort of worked, but i don't live near dark country roads so i usually didn't even notice. It would be difficult to install side lights as there is no spot in the leaf for them (unless you would want to hack into the bumper), the best i can recommend is install some higher power / aftermarket fog lights that throw more light down low and to the sides.

newer cars also turn projector housings along with the steering wheel angle, but that is more for curved roads than driveways.
2013 Leaf SL Premium
27k, 93% SoH 2/17 32k, 96% SoH 6/17
46k, 94% SoH 2/18 52k, 88% SoH 6/18
62k, 87% SoH 2/19 68k, 84% SoH 6/19

ChrisA

Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:44 pm

Thanks, my side-lighter was a Lincoln and it worked well. I appreciate your suggestions.
Chris

2013 Leaf S

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:50 am

ChrisA wrote:I imagine some of you have fog lights. Do they help you see when you turn? I'm very surprised that I'm not finding more people who are concerned about this, as it is a safety hazard, especially for pedestrians who may be approaching,
I was responding to that and from me being here since 2011, this has not been a common topic at all. I wouldn't think it's been even in the top 50 things talked about re: Leaf.
ChrisA wrote:I appreciate everyone’s input, especially those that focus on solutions. I don’t demand that you to have the same experience I have.

I once owned a car that had special side lights that lit up when the turning signal was engaged, which provided a great side view. Most people don’t need that kind of light, since they are not driving on dark country roads at night. If I can find a way to add that feature to my Leaf, that will be a major upgrade.
The '11 and '12 US-market Leafs had two side marker lights on the front fenders. They were removed starting w/'13+ Leafs (for the US market) since there's no legal requirement for them here. I have no idea how much those marker lights would've helped.

What's wrong with using your high beams and looking way ahead (and to the left) before slowing to turn along w/making the turn slowly? Are you not looking down the road far enough ahead while driving?

At the risk of sounding totally hokey, how about a bright flashlight that you point out the window before turning? I have two of the LP600 flashlights at https://www.luxproflashlights.com/flashlights.html. I also have a https://www.anker.com/products/variant/ ... 0/T1421011.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

ChrisA

Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:44 am

Leaf owners aren't defensive unless someone is offensive first. Our exchange helped me clarify my perspective, and that's what exchanges should do. I could've been more clear from the beginning. What I'm looking for is to augment the side view, and I should have focused on that.

As an astronomer I seek dark skies. When I was out on the trail--which can barely be called a road--on my way to the observatory, I would have used that flashlight and been reassured taking a hard left turn with the Leaf. It's not hokey if it works!
Chris

2013 Leaf S

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”