LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Re: Using a 2015 Nissan Leaf as Daily Delivery vehicle in AZ summer

Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:59 pm

GRA wrote:See viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6198&p=490239&hili ... ry#p490148 for testing of the 2015 Spark's battery. As I mentioned in the post following that one, the 2013s used a larger, more heat-tolerant, higher cycle life LiFePO4 chemistry.
Interesting. I didn't think any car-sized EV had used LiFePo4 because of the lower energy density. They are great batteries otherwise, though. I have two of them.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GRA

Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:03 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
GRA wrote:See viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6198&p=490239&hili ... ry#p490148 for testing of the 2015 Spark's battery. As I mentioned in the post following that one, the 2013s used a larger, more heat-tolerant, higher cycle life LiFePO4 chemistry.
Interesting. I didn't think any car-sized EV had used LiFePo4 because of the lower energy density. They are great batteries otherwise, though. I have two of them.
I don't remember for sure now, but the Fit might have used LiFePO4 for the cathode along with their Li-Ti anode.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:43 am

osi wrote:I could take a break between 2 shifts to give the car a rest and a charge, like work through lunch rush and then go home for 2-4 hours and work later that day.
Two hours of L2 charging at 6 kW rate will increase your remaining range by at least 30 miles. The car does not need a rest and parking for 2 hours even without charging is not going to cool the battery in our climate. You need to accept that there will be faster battery deterioration in our climate because the average and maximum battery temperatures are much higher here than in cooler areas like the Pacific Northwest.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015; traded 8/10/2019 at 82,436 miles
White LEAF 2019 SL+ purchased 8/10/2019

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:16 am

GerryAZ wrote:
osi wrote:I could take a break between 2 shifts to give the car a rest and a charge, like work through lunch rush and then go home for 2-4 hours and work later that day.
The car does not need a rest and parking for 2 hours even without charging is not going to cool the battery in our climate. You need to accept that there will be faster battery deterioration in our climate because the average and maximum battery temperatures are much higher here than in cooler areas like the Pacific Northwest.
Yep. Heck, on my '13 Leaf, even 2 hours of sitting in ambient temps much lower than battery temp does virtually nothing. The battery has lots of thermal mass.

Even if I leave my '13 Leaf outside to cool Instead of a warmer garage in say outside air temps of 50 to 55 F and the battery is say at 70 F, the temp might drop by 5-7 F at most after 5-7 hours. Tthese are rough numbers from memory. I'd have to check my notes.

Probably about the only way to get it to cool significantly from blazing hot AZ temps is to drive the car into a freezer or cold storage warehouse and have very powerful fans blowing under the car for an hour to try to bring the temps down. Or, to keep the battery temps down in general, park the car overnight in the above. It'll take some time for the pack to heat up.

Also, spraying large amounts of very cold water (much colder than ambient temp) water upwards into the undercarriage where the battery pack is might help.
Last edited by cwerdna on Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:50 am

IMO the best way to cool the pack under those conditions at night would be to acquire a portable air conditioner, make an adapter to have it blow cold air through the car's air cooling channels, and use that at night.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:49 am

That car is perfect For a delivery business....

However, if you drive 4 miles per delivery, in 12 deliveries, the car (with a perfect battery and no use of air conditioning) will be down to about 40%. (driven about 50 miles).

What you really need is a level 2 charger at the business to charge between deliveries... Otherwise you are taking a chance that you will run out of juice during the work day...

osi
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2019

Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:30 am

powersurge wrote:That car is perfect For a delivery business....

However, if you drive 4 miles per delivery, in 12 deliveries, the car (with a perfect battery and no use of air conditioning) will be down to about 40%. (driven about 50 miles).

What you really need is a level 2 charger at the business to charge between deliveries... Otherwise you are taking a chance that you will run out of juice during the work day...
2 mile deliveries are rare, rarer than .5 mile deliveries or even .25 mile deliveries. But yeah if I got a bunch of them in a row that would drain the car a lot. I think what I will do is just mostly take shifts with a good break in between, and if I ever run out of juice I can use my room mates hybrid car for little.

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”