danrjones
Delivery Date: 17 Jun 2019

Re: Standard versus Plus-model Leaf

Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:34 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:09 pm
When I drove it home for the first time, that is a 90 mile drive at 70+ mph. I had plenty of range to get home, but it was very clear that I wouldn't ever get 150 miles at freeway speeds. Especially not with AC.
You might manage it at just 70MPH, with A/C set to 75F and tire pressures at 42-44psi.
The G-O-M doesn't seem to care what speed or temp I set my AC at, its either on or off, but I have assumed a lower speed would mean lower draw on the compressor? Or does the compressor only run at one power setting no matter your fan speed?

Yeah I don't know what tire pressure the dealer had it at when I drove it home.
2018 Leaf SV Pearl White with Tech and All Weather, Purchased New on 5/3/19

DougWantsALeaf
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811

Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:13 pm

For long highway runs, I set my AC to 78 and auto so it basically just dehumidifies the air to make the cabin manageable. At 70 MPH I would stay around other cars/trucks (no tail gating) to take advantage of some reduced wind resistance. The SV and SL have Michelin tires which are rated at 44 psi. I keep my tires there as it does help a bit.
2019 SV Plus Silver
2013 Leaf SV
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max distance on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max distance on 19 Leaf: 242 Highway 4.5 miles/kWh (4.9 KWh remaining)

Lemaign
Delivery Date: 11 Sep 2019

Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:36 am

danrjones wrote:
The G-O-M doesn't seem to care what speed or temp I set my AC at, its either on or off, but I have assumed a lower speed would mean lower draw on the compressor? Or does the compressor only run at one power setting no matter your fan speed?
I'm not sure how fan speed affects it, but my understanding is that the Leaf is similar to the way Toyota programmed the Priuses: if you're in Eco mode the maximum draw for the A/C system is cut about in half compared with the power draw it will take if you're not in Eco mode. In practice I find this just means the A/C takes a bit longer to get things cool, but it's far more power efficient. I could imagine that under really, really hot conditions the A/C might not be able to keep up if its power were limited.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:53 am

Fan speed control how much air flows through the evaporator coils, so a low fan speed means less work for the compressor because the coils warm more slowly. So selecting Eco as noted above, plus a low fan speed (1 or 2) and a set temp in the mid seventies or higher will reduce the A/C power draw. You can also close the passenger vents as much as possible if you are alone (or if, as I often do, you are carrying a passenger who doesn't like A/C).
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

PrairieLEAF
Delivery Date: 04 Feb 2019

Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:48 am

I'm surprised/impressed with how much motor Nissan crammed into the Plus--160 kW, if I'm not mistaken (vs. 120 kW in the 40 kwh and 80 kW in the 2017 and earlier). That's gotta really move!

(I don't see many gasoline models doubling their power over just a few years!)

I've found what affects battery temperature the most is mountain climbing. Air temperatures here have been setting high records all over the place, but the pack in the 30 kWh 2016 stays in the lower 2/3 of the gauge on the plains. I had never seen the temp get as high as when climbing an 11,300' pass a few weeks ago, in cool air temps in the 70s (it wasn't scary-high; I think two bars from the red). The one time I've used QC so far, I don't think the temp gauge even moved.

BEVs are absolute aces in heavy traffic. They seem to use next to nothing.

I sometimes cycle the A/C every few minutes. It's surprising how long the air stays cool after the compressor's been turned off.

I feel like the GOM uses recent activity to adjust the climate control penalties. When I first brought the LEAF home, it seemed to knock off more than it does now.

The pack sure seems to have a lot of thermal capacity, so if you're able to secure a shaded parking spot when not in use, that should work wonders for overall battery temp.

Although I really enjoyed the Gen 2 Prius I drove for 12 years, there's just something about a BEV that makes me adverse to having an engine on-board any more. BEVs just have that ideal driving experience and mechanical simplicity. Using a gas pump feels like a stab to the gut, and I'm so over engine vibration, noise, and fumes.

I view the lack of active cooling on the LEAF as a pro/con situation rather than a detriment. My friend's Focus Electric had the battery cooling system spring a leak, requiring a service call.

I recently talked with a Model 3 owner who agrees that the quality control/reliability issues are overplayed in the media. He and everyone he's talked to love their Teslas.

For some perspective on battery capacity, I live outside city limits, nearly all trips are at least 20 miles each way, and even in temperatures around 10F, this pre-owned, 30 kWh 2016 has been doing the job (with no less than an 18-mile safety margin)!
Last edited by PrairieLEAF on Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
2016 LEAF S-30 w/QC "Lexie"

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862

Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:06 am

danrjones wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:09 pm
When I drove it home for the first time, that is a 90 mile drive at 70+ mph. I had plenty of range to get home, but it was very clear that I wouldn't ever get 150 miles at freeway speeds. Especially not with AC.
You might manage it at just 70MPH, with A/C set to 75F and tire pressures at 42-44psi.

Yeah I don't know what tire pressure the dealer had it at when I drove it home.
Fan speed controls how much power A/C uses via LEAF Spy and this is verified thru logs as well. On mine; the system blows cold air all the time but higher fan speeds makes air feel warmer. If its real hot, I blast it on high a few mins to cool down car then lower it to fan speed 3. This is more than enough to keep me comfortable in nearly all weather I usually see. FYI; it doesn't matter what I set my thermostat to; at fan speed 3, its cold air all the time. This means on milder days, I toggle compressor off and on when I start feeling the need to turn on my seat heaters...
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 412 mi, 99.72% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”