shinybike52
Delivery Date: 30 Aug 2019

Newbie, 2017 Leaf S, So excited! But why the clueless sales ppl?

Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:28 pm

I was lurking on this forum for awhile, and now I'm the proud owner of a 2017 Leaf S!
I just drove it home today, and wow, it's so great. I knew I definitely wanted at the very least a 30kWh battery (commute is 30 mile one way and I live in New England), so I'd been looking for a late model 2016 or a 2017. Without lots of money to spend, I was thrilled to find a decently-priced 2017 at a Nissan dealership 40 miles away. When I arrived, I found that it had the optional charge package! (My sales guy didn't understand that this was a huge selling point and something you should emphasize to customers....see below). Also, I was going in thinking that probably a bar would be lost because it has 37k miles on it already, but no bars are missing. I'm thinking about getting the LeafSpy for the additional comfort/info others have posted about. So far I'm completely obsessed with earning trees (coasting as much as I can), and watching my range. I stopped on the way home from work to use a CHAdeMO station, and wow, it was fast! I went from 20 to 80% charge in 25 min...Just enough time to run a quick errand!

One question: Why don't the sales people at the dealership know more about the Leafs they're selling? They kept pointing out that the seats fold down instead of explaining how the car actually works. I'm a woman, so that may have played a role in their approach to selling cars, but when I quickly steered the conversation away from the color, upholstery & trunk space, and toward very basic stuff about how the Leaf works, range, etc., they couldn't tell me much at all. I asked my sales guy to pop open the hood and tell me what was what... "I think that's the engine" and "That must be the wiper fluid" (it was not, as I pointed out, given the little illustration on the cap!). In the end, my guy was rewarded with a commission for not knowing a thing. That lack of knowledge definitely wouldn't fly at my job! Just curious about other stories. Is there an entertaining thread on this that I missed?

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Re: Newbie, 2017 Leaf S, So excited! But why the clueless sales ppl?

Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:01 pm

It's more an underlying theme. Car salescritters in general don't often know a lot about cars, and Leaf sales often get delegated to the least senior "team" members. Enjoy your new to you Leaf. I'll post a link to my Tips & Tricks document.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=23297
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Tortoisehead77
Delivery Date: 31 May 2018
Leaf Number: 307925

Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:45 am

The salesperson at the dealership was raving about Nissan Connect. The problem is that the Model S doesn’t come with this. They should have known.

css28
Delivery Date: 02 Aug 2019

Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:29 am

- Chris
----------
2017 SV, purchased 8/10/19, Coulis red

shinybike52
Delivery Date: 30 Aug 2019

Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:45 pm

Thanks all for your tips and support. The thread was amusing! I'm really enjoying this forum, so thanks for the welcome!

PrairieLEAF
Delivery Date: 04 Feb 2019

Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:01 am

Congrats on the LEAF! I was fortunate to have a knowledgeable salesperson--and I bought from a GM dealer. Nissan should really get their sales training together!

I'm a fairly recent S adoptee as well (and can't get enough)! I was contemplating trim levels before purchase, and there are a number of things I prefer about the S, including the controls and lack of a touch screen (they get so grimy!), the wheels/tire size, and the seat fabric. I found out my cell carrier isn't in the list for a Nissan Connect subscription, and I don't imagine the heat pump would save me very much energy for its added complexity. The S is a great fit for me.

Enjoy, and keep on schooling the salespeople!
2016 LEAF S-30 w/QC "Lexie"

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:33 am

Though I have run across some good ones, as a rule car salespeople are not particularly knowledgeable beyond certain talking points and are more interested in manipulating you than learning the finer points of their products.

Add to that, LEAF is probably a low-volume seller in most dealerships. A LEAF buyer is probably already motivated, otherwise the salesperson is probably trying to steer them into a Juke, Rogue, Altima, etc...
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:13 am

Nice to see an S advocate... I also have an S, and don't regret saving all that extra money one bit... They are just as capable as the top of the line ones, and are identical mechanically. Good luck.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:01 pm

Nice to see an S advocate... I also have an S, and don't regret saving all that extra money one bit... They are just as capable as the top of the line ones, and are identical mechanically.
The only reason I discourage many people from getting an S is the resistance-only heater. In climates like mine (and even like yours) that means an automatic range loss of roughly 25% in mild Winter temps, compared to a heatpump-equipped Leaf. Otherwise I agree that the S is a great car for those looking for something other than tech.

Now, of course, it is easy to buy an SV with NO HEAT PUMP, so the situation has changed a bit.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

goldbrick
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806

Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:05 pm

I'd love a heat pump in my S but in Colorado it is easy to live without. Our winters tend to be sunny and the sun is intense relative to most parts of the country and the relative humidity in the winter is quite low. I park my Leaf outside the garage in the sun while getting ready to go to work and it warms up nicely inside by the time I'm ready to go. Between that and the heated seats I get by pretty well.

The days I really wish I had a heat pump are the days when defrost is needed, such as a 35F snowy day. That doesn't happen very often though so while I would have a bought a heat pump HVAC had it been available as an option, I wasn't willing to pay for the cost differential between an SV and an S to get it. I would do the same again today given the choice but that's just me. I don't need the extra range and in my climate it's not that big a deal.

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”