Will I regret not getting the 220 cord?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulb

About to buy an SV with only the 110 cord. Already adding $700 heated tech package. 220 cord is $1200. At that point it's SL territory. Overnight on the 110 would be plenty of time to bring it back to 100% based on daily miles, or even if we come home empty, enough tome to add plenty for next day commute.
Thanks....hope this is not a overused question, I did search before posting!

As long as you can replace the miles of range you use while plugged in overnight, you should be fine. I still use 120 volts after 6 years. You can buy an L-2 EVSE for much less than $1200 - or are you including installation cost for a 240 volt line...?

Yep. Quality (not no-name crap from China) L2 240 volt EVSEs can be had for a LOT less than $1200.

I have no L2 EVSE at home and I've been driving a pure EV for over 6 years as my primary car. But, I have free L2 charging at work and previously had access to free L1 and L2 charging at work. (L1 is another story.) Also, there's a currently free dual standard DC FC (CHAdeMO and SAE Combo) near my work which I can use to give my Bolt a jolt. I'm guessing it won't remain free forever...

paulb said:
About to buy an SV with only the 110 cord. Already adding $700 heated tech package. 220 cord is $1200. At that point it's SL territory. Overnight on the 110 would be plenty of time to bring it back to 100% based on daily miles, or even if we come home empty, enough tome to add plenty for next day commute.
Thanks....hope this is not a overused question, I did search before posting!

What year model? A 16 amp 220v ac EVSE is only a couple of hundred bucks on Amazon. I assume that you have a 220v outlet available. Even a 32 amp EVSE will only set you back $500. Faster charging equals more convenience and peace of mind. 16 amp 220 charges almost 3 times as fast as 110 and would charge you overnight. I do occasionally charge twice a day at home and being able to to charge up in 2-3 hours is a necessity in that case. $1200 is way too much to spend for a 220 cord in any case.

Level 1 can do the job as long as you have enough charging time to replenish the miles you need. Figure about 4 miles of range per hour charge.

There are 2 advantages to L2 other than speed.
1 - It's more efficient, as the cooling pump(s) run for a shorter time. From a economy standpoint of course, $1200 will buy a lot of electricity.

2 - L2 can be safer. Per code, it will be on a dedicated circuit. Duty cycle will be half or less, and better chance that the wiring is adequate. That being said, L1 is not inherently unsafe, but you do need to make sure that the wiring is adequate, and it's not a bad idea to install a new, high quality receptacle. Having an electrician check things out is not a bad idea if you're unfamiliar with wiring issues. Consider that L1 is the equivalent load of running a space-heater on HIGH for up to 20 hours at a time. You want the wiring to be up to snuff. It's a good idea with any EVSE to check initially for any signs of heat build-up during the charge, and re-check occasionally to make sure no problems are developing.

I used L1 for several months until we were able to use L2. Had no problems, but the quicker charging does increase the utility of the vehicle for unplanned trips, etc...

FYI, it's 120V/240V not 110/220 in post-WWII America. ;)

About to buy an SV with only the 110 cord. Already adding $700 heated tech package.

The SV Tech package is about $700 IIRC, but to get heated front seats, steering wheel, and heat pump heating you have to get the All Weather Package. Make sure you do get that if you live where it snows in Winter, or even if you just want heated seats and steering wheel. Or maybe you are getting that but not the Tech Package?

Whoa, exactly the responses I was looking for! Thank you! And yes not sure why I wrote 110 as soon as I hit post I realized I did it wrong. And yes I wrote Tech package, but eant the package with the heated seats and heated steering wheel. And knowing I can trust that an after-market cord I think makes this decision a lot easier. Thanks again everyone. We should be driving a leaf by the end of next week. In Connecticut there is currently an additional $5,000 rebate, plus a $2,000 State rebate, plus the $7,500 Federal rebate. Hard to pass that up.

$1200 for a mobile L2 EVSE sounds like Porsche pricing. Tell them to pound sound and buy 3rd party*.
As for only L1 at home: might be do-able but far from recommended.

Clipper Creek sells a $219 EVSE that is 240 Volts, 16 Amps under its AmazingE generic brand. A higher Amp EVSE is a couple hundred dollars more.

The Nissan 120/240v EVSE is a well built quality unit. I bought 2 of them on eBay brand new for $225 each delivered. I just received the second one yesterday. It’s better built than any Chinese built EVSE.. You will need to install a NEMA14-50R receptacle with either a 40 or 50 amp breaker and wire. I installed one myself in my barn/shed at my vacation cabin for about $35 in parts. It works GREAT.

oa8vpJll.jpg

SuphBWnl.jpg

The Nissan 120/240v EVSE is a well built quality unit.

Yes, and it's fine for new installations, or for existing 40 or 50 amp range or welder circuits. The problem is that it is NOT safe for regular use with a 30 amp 240 volt dryer circuit, as it draws the full 27.5 amps a Leaf can use.

I've had the Zencar 32A EVSE for over 2 years now, not a single issue. Works great on my 30A "dryer" (NEMA 14-30R) circuit at 24A, but also provides several other amperage set points as well as 120V charging:

https://amzn.to/2mmj8gr

A 24 A EVSE is ideal for getting the most out of a 30 A circuit, but unless you anticipate situations like needing to charge the car over dinner before going out again that evening or needing to fully charge a Leaf+ from low SOC overnight it probably isn't worth the extra cost compared to a 16 A.

Titanium48 said:
A 24 A EVSE is ideal for getting the most out of a 30 A circuit, but unless you anticipate situations like needing to charge the car over dinner before going out again that evening or needing to fully charge a Leaf+ from low SOC overnight it probably isn't worth the extra cost compared to a 16 A.

If all you are worried about is overnight charging then a 16A 220 charger is more than enough. It would charge a 30KWH battery from turtle to 100% in about 8 hrs. I've got a Juice Box basic EVSE and I typically charge in about 3 hrs. from 30% to 100%. That is important to me because I sometimes have to make 2 60 mile trips (one in the morning and a second in the afternoon). I can get a full charge in before I have to make that second trip. This happens to me a couple of times a month. I could DCFC if I had to but I'm on solar and charging at home is essentially free. I've had the Juice Box for 3 1/2 years sitting on the outside wall plugged into a 50A RV plug with no problems.

Thanks for all the replies. Based on what has been said and me filing some links it seems like our easiest way to go is get the after market cord and if we ever needed it just plug it into my dryer outlet and stick it out the window right next to the outlet which is right where the car parks. If we keep using it I can run it through a hole in the dryer vent and hang on outside wall. I am aware that numerous plugging in and pulling out is not good...so not something to rely on constantly. Is a Dryer buddy a good option? Something similar?
And anyway to get auto notified when there are responses to this question :)

I haven't used one but have heard good about the dryer sharing device, especially one sold by a member here on MNL(can't remember his name off hand but I'm sure a search will yield it.
AFA getting notified when you get a post, I believe it's a profile or setup option to get an email when your thread gets a post or someone PM's you.

Back