Greetings from the Mother Lode

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ancient1

Just picked up our 2019 SV plus yesterday. We are in California, in the Sierra foothills in what is known as Mother Lode country. I have your new member template, but I am not sure where or how to complete the information and post it. Does it go here, as a new post, or is there another place I should go to? Thanks for your help - looking forward to sharing info on this neat little car!

Thank you! We were encouraged to look into getting a Leaf by our brother-in-law in Seattle, who has a 2018 SV. My wife drove it when we were up there in July, and she liked it a lot, so we decided to trade in her 2012 Subaru Forester when we got back home and get our own Leaf. We wanted an SL plus in Scarlet Ember, but apparently there are none in Northern California. We settled on the SV plus, and even then had quite a time finding one in the right color. We were directed by the Costco Auto Program to Tracy Nissan, 75 miles from our home, ($1200 discount as a Costco member!) and they found one across SF Bay in Burlingame. It appears Scarlet Ember is the most popular color, and is hard to find. Lots of blue ones and white ones, though.
I have it on trickle charge now, for the first time. I am waiting for my electrician to find time to come out and install a 220-240 outlet, but don't yet know when that will be. Once that is in, I am looking at a Morec EV2 fast charger - anyone have any experience with one? I am also considering a Lectron Tesla to J1772 adapter, as out of 37 charging stations within 30 miles of my location, 35 of them are Tesla only! I would appreciate any input on these, or any other suggestions. My wife drives less than 5000 miles a year, mostly around town, so the Leaf seems perfect for her, but at our elevation (3250 feet) climbing the hills seems to drain the battery pretty quickly. I expect to do most charging here at home, but want to be properly prepared in the event we do need to charge out on the road somewhere.
So far, we are very pleased with the car. At its price point ($40,000) I would like to see a few things on it that aren't available, such as a power close trunk lid (my wife is small and short, and the lid is a little struggle for her), and a memory drivers seat for 2 drivers. I don't understand why the back-up beeper sounds in front, but not in the rear - or would that be too logical? I do find the center console is uncomfortable on my knee, as other taller drivers have mentioned, but since I won't be driving it that much, it isn't a big problem. We are still learning our way around the controls, and the manuals aren't all that helpful. The on-line guides aren't that great, either - is Nissan sure they have enough websites for this car? I am at 3 - and counting. One of my best friends here has a Tesla Model 3, so I am sure we will be doing a lot of comparing. Should be interesting!

What model Morec EVSE are you considering? The ones I found online are portable units. I believe the SV+ comes with Nissan's portable 120/240-volt EVSE so you could use that at home with a 14-50 receptacle. Personally, I recommend an installed EVSE at home so you don't need to unpack/pack the portable unit every time you charge. I highly recommend Clipper Creek units--either HCS-40P or HCS-50P with 14-50 plug would be ideal if you have a 14-50 receptacle installed.

That’s what we did, just install the NEMA outlet and used the included charger. It was a couple hundred to run the 50 amp circuit up to our garage, but still much cheaper then doing that in conjunction with a new charging set up.

If your neighbor has an SR+, I am very interested in hearing about range comparison. In normal driving my GOM sits in the 270s, though you only get about 250, as the car hides some range as it gets low. I have done over 240 miles on the highway, but that is at pretty controlled speeds, say low 60s. 220 miles is now a breeze.

Please send in experiences.

" I am also considering a Lectron Tesla to J1772 adapter, as out of 37 charging stations within 30 miles of my location, 35 of them are Tesla only!"

These adapters are at best unsupported and unapproved by Tesla; at worst they are illegal. You are buying a hack that firmly places all legal responsibility for any damages to your car, the Tesla EVSE, the hook-up and the property due to use of the hack firmly in your court.

You may not care that you are using equipment paid for by Tesla for the use of Tesla cars ONLY but self-interest should make you think twice.

SageBrush said:
These adapters are at best unsupported and unapproved by Tesla; at worst they are illegal. You are buying a hack that firmly places all legal responsibility for any damages to your car, the Tesla EVSE, the hook-up and the property due to use of the hack firmly in your court.

You may not care that you are using equipment paid for by Tesla for the use of Tesla cars ONLY but self-interest should make you think twice.
I'm sorry, I disagree with almost all of that. Not all HPWCs (destination chargers) were paid for by Tesla - some places actually buy them! I can't imagine anywhere in the US where a J1772-to-Tesla adapter is illegal, either, so adding that is unnecessary hyperbole.

jlv said:
SageBrush said:

I'm sorry, I disagree with almost all of that. Not all HPWCs (destination chargers) were paid for by Tesla - some places actually buy them! I can't imagine anywhere in the US where a J1772-to-Tesla adapter is illegal, either, so adding that is unnecessary hyperbole.
I look forward to Tesla suing these adapter vendors. Do you really doubt the outcome ? In the meantime, I gather that Tesla has modified their wall EVSE product to block the adapters.

As for your comment, I'm pretty confident that I could use up all my thumbs in counting the number of Tesla Destination chargers placed at businesses that were not subsidized or outright paid for by Tesla ... FOR TESLA OWNERS. I also routinely see signage at these chargers alerting car owners to the fact that these EVSE are for Tesla car charging only. Huh.

SageBrush said:
jlv said:
SageBrush said:

I look forward to Tesla suing these adapter vendors. Do you really doubt the outcome ? In the meantime, I gather that Tesla has modified their wall EVSE product to block the adapters.

As for your comment, I'm pretty confident that I could use up all my thumbs in counting the number of Tesla Destination chargers placed at businesses that were not subsidized or outright paid for by Tesla ... FOR TESLA OWNERS. I also routinely see signage at these chargers alerting car owners to the fact that these EVSE are for Tesla car charging only. Huh.

I’m not sure I follow. Why would Tesla sue a manufacturer of an adapter. Seems like that would be counter to the mission.

Interestingly enough a couple of the wineries with HPWC’s have the adapter available for clients here. They didn’t realize that not all EV’s were compatible with the HPWC. Lol.

The adapters from quick charge (Tony’s) work well even on the new HPWC’s. You have to wait 30 seconds though.

webeleafowners said:
I’m not sure I follow. Why would Tesla sue a manufacturer of an adapter. Seems like that would be counter to the mission.
It is not so simple. For one, adapter hacks that cause damage harm the mission.
Second, Tesla success is integral to mission success. If a potential Tesla buyer cannot rely on the Tesla destination network the mission is harmed.

Third, Tesla cannot ignore its customer base. If they object to finding a LEAF e.g. blocking a Tesla Destination charger then Tesla will take note. I fall in that group even though I own a LEAF. After all, it was my money sent to Tesla that allowed that Tesla destination charger to be built, not the money I spent to buy a LEAF. I admit to also being influenced by posts in this forum from LEAF owners who take every available opportunity to take Tesla down, yet think they should have free access to paid for by Tesla chargers.

That is not you, but the dogs in the community that bite the hand that feeds them have a negative effect.

Tesla destination chargers are paid for by the businesses that install them, not Tesla, isn't it? Also, isn't the power also provided free of charge to Tesla/Tesla Owner?

Do those miles count against your fee supercharging miles?

SageBrush said:
webeleafowners said:
It is not so simple. For one, adapter hacks that cause damage harm the mission.
Second, Tesla success is integral to mission success. If a potential Tesla buyer cannot rely on the Tesla destination network the mission is harmed.

Third, Tesla cannot ignore its customer base. If they object to finding a LEAF e.g. blocking a Tesla Destination charger then Tesla will take note. I fall in that group even though I own a LEAF. After all, it was my money sent to Tesla that allowed that Tesla destination charger to be built, not the money I spent to buy a LEAF. I admit to also being influenced by posts in this forum from LEAF owners who take every available opportunity to take Tesla down, yet think they should have free access to paid for by Tesla chargers.

That is not you, but the dogs in the community that bite the hand that feeds them have a negative effect.

I didn’t realize equipment was being damaged. What is the nature of the damage? Do some of the adapters not fit well?

We use ours in two very specific locations about half a dozen times per year now. Having said that when our Eplus arrives I doubt we’ll need it anymore.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Tesla destination chargers are paid for by the businesses that install them, not Tesla, isn't it?
Tesla had a program that gave out their EVSEs (HPWC) for free to businesses that applied. It seems scaled back now, and the language that said the unit was free is no longer present (https://www.tesla.com/charging-partners). It's not publicaly known how many of the units listed as destination chargers at https://www.tesla.com/findus?v=2&filters=destination charger were given away for free or paid for by the business.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Also, isn't the power also provided free of charge to Tesla/Tesla Owner?
They are just unnetworked Level 2 EVSEs. There's no way for the location to automatically bill for connecting to one. Not all of them are public however; some locations (hotels, restaurants) reserve them for customers. Some places allow non-customers to charge for a nominal fee.

E.g., the 3 located in Rockland ME:
https://www.plugshare.com/location/120444 (free to the public)
https://www.plugshare.com/location/69751 (free for overnight guests, $10 otherwise)
https://www.plugshare.com/location/129321 (overnight guests only)

DougWantsALeaf said:
Do those miles count against your fee supercharging miles?
No. These have nothing to do with SuperCharging. That is DC charging and a whole different system. (And the Tesla-to-J1772 adapter does not work at SuperChargers)

jlv said:
Tesla had a program that gave out their EVSEs (HPWC) for free to businesses that applied. It seems scaled back now, and the language that said the unit was free is no longer present (https://www.tesla.com/charging-partners). It's not publicaly known how many of the units listed as destination chargers at https://www.tesla.com/findus?v=2&filters=destination charger were given away for free or paid for by the business.
This is true as a matter of record but I'm positive that examples of Businesses that paid for Tesla destination chargers are very, very rare. The only examples I know of are people who own and charge their own cars at their place of business and also allow guests. It follows simply because a business that is paying out of pocket has every reason to buy a J1772 EVSE instead.

SageBrush said:
It follows simply because a business that is paying out of pocket has every reason to buy a J1772 EVSE instead.
Unless like webeleafowners said, the merchant purchasing the EVSE was EV clueless and simply purchased the wrong EVSE to be compatible with all current EVs, never underestimate cluelessness, it's rampant :lol:

I am also in the MotherLode area. I learned quickly to ignore the miles on n the GOM. It takes me 20 miles to get to work and 40 miles to return on the same route. The difference is elevation.
I get snow which is doable, but cables are needed. I am not willing to get snow tires for 10 days per year

SageBrush said:
For one, adapter hacks that cause damage harm the mission.

What mission?

Your mission might be different from the hotel.
Ask the hotel, they will probably say the mission is to sell hotel room stays.

Third, Tesla cannot ignore its customer base. If they object to finding a LEAF e.g. blocking a Tesla Destination charger then Tesla will take note.

Hotel will say "we signed a contract that gives us control over who uses that charge station".

You want us to turn away a paying customer? Why?

After all, it was my money sent to Tesla that allowed that Tesla destination charger to be built, not the money I spent to buy a LEAF.

So, VW is paying to build the Electrify America network. Will we see your Tesla there?

I admit to also being influenced by posts in this forum from LEAF owners who take every available opportunity to take Tesla down, yet think they should have free access to paid for by Tesla chargers.

Free access? Hotel room isn't free.

The world doesn't revolve around Tesla. Not yet.

Hey, Calaveras! Glad to see someone nearby posting! I'm guessing you must live around Arnold, if you are gaining 1900 feet of elevation on your daily drive. I am in Columbia. To get to my house involves climbing 1000 feet in 2 miles, which takes about 12 miles off my range. I only gain about 3 miles on the downhill trip - not fair!
I just installed a Siemens VersiCharge EV2, so will be able to do something other than trickle charge from now on. (18 hours - really?) Costco has them on sale for $60 off. I have a 40 amp circuit, but the Siemens only outputs 30, so it is a little slower than some, but for what I consider a relatively reasonable cost, it should be adequate for our needs. I also just got an OBD-II unit, and loaded LeafSpy on my I-phone, so now I just have to learn what that system is telling me. So far, it is just gibberish, but I hope to figure it out soon.
I haven't yet purchased the Tesla to J1772 adapter, as I doubt we will really need it. I am a little surprised at the strong objections that some posters have evidenced to the use of such an adapter. I very strongly doubt that they are "illegal", as one put it. I give Tesla full credit for having the foresight to develop an infrastructure to support their vehicles, but I think it is unfortunate they didn't go with a "universal" arrangement rather than make their systems exclusive to just their cars. To me, that's like BMW saying their cars will only run on Shell gas, so no one else can use it. To each his own, as the saying goes.

Back