goldbrick
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806

Re: How is Leaf on snowy hills

Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:47 pm

^^ both good points. Fortunately, here on the front range, we probably get 5-10 nights a year that go below -5 and I don't know if I've ever seen the high temp for the day be below 0 F here. Even then, if it's that cold, the change of it being sunny is about 99% and the sun in CO is intense, even in the winter. In fact, my favorite winter trick is to pull the Leaf out of the garage and into the sun while I eat breakfast. When I'm ready to leave for work the temp inside the car is usually up by 10-20 F. That may not be a lot, but between that, the low relative humidity here and the seat heaters, running a Leaf in the winter isn't that painful. And as noted, the traction is probably about as good as nearly any FWD car with decent tires.

On the down side, the roads in CO tend to have a lot of crud on them when it snows and right after. There is virtually no salt used since the sun usually melts the snow off in a few days and while the roads are snowy , the efficiency is horrible.

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:16 am

I think we all agree that the Leaf is the same as any other FWD car with traction on snow, and works fine in cold weather. So no real NEED to get snow tires. I have been driving in New York State for 50 years and have never bought "snow tires" (as in getting a second set).

jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:05 pm

powersurge wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:16 am
I think we all agree that the Leaf is the same as any other FWD car with traction on snow, and works fine in cold weather. So no real NEED to get snow tires. I have been driving in New York State for 50 years and have never bought "snow tires" (as in getting a second set).
Actually I believe the Leaf, being a heavier car for it's footprint, is better than the average FWD vehicle of it's size. Still I ended up purchasing snow tires for the first time in my life, mainly because the summer tires that came on my used So Cal Leaf were probably 80% tread left and I figured if I were going to get a set of good all seasons I might just as well throw away the summer tires as I'd never really need them. With the snows I got I can use those for the winter, then have the summers mounted in the spring and get more use out of them. Hopefully they'll all 8 wear out at about the same time at which point I'll probably go back to a good set of all seasons(or possibly something like the Michelin Cross Climate's) which are winter tires which can be driven all season long without severe summer wear. Firestone makes a similar tire but not a whole lot of other brands making such a tire, which BTW are rated for 50k miles Mich's and 60k Firestone Weathergrip's.
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:12 pm

Firestone makes a similar tire but not a whole lot of other brands making such a tire, which BTW are rated for 50k miles Mich's and 60k Firestone Weathergrip's.
Toyo's Celsius also fall into this category. I don't know how much they are now, but I got them cheap.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

dmacarthur
Delivery Date: 03 Jul 2018
Leaf Number: 306556

Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:23 am

We have lived in hilly Vermont and used studded snow tires to get up our driveway for many years, driving all kinds of FWD cars, and the Leaf with Studs is the equivalent or better than any of them. Probably partly because of the ability to so carefully control torque. In any case, if you live where ice and steepness are concerns, people will have bigger issues with battery use than with traction if the Leaf has good winter tires and studs as needed.
2015 Leaf sold
2019 Leaf Plus S as of 9/30/19

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”