Are there new battery replacements for 2011 leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willz06jw

Hey,

I would love to buy an old $3K 2011 leaf, but I don't see any cheap battery replacement options. I have seen a bunch of posts about:

Refurbished batteries from Nissan that are only available in Japan,
3rd party battery replacement plans that cost just as much as new,
and
>$5000 replacements for new batteries from Nissan.

Are these still the case in Oct 2019?

Thanks,
Will

willz06jw said:
Hey,

I would love to buy an old $3K 2011 leaf, but I don't see any cheap battery replacement options. I have seen a bunch of posts about:

Refurbished batteries from Nissan that are only available in Japan,
3rd party battery replacement plans that cost just as much as new,
and
>$5000 replacements for new batteries from Nissan.

Are these still the case in Oct 2019?

Thanks,
Will

There's always getting a wrecked leaf battery off a salvage yard and swapping it in. But it's definitely a DIY job and you will need to either open the pack and swap cells OR swap the entire pack with evsenhanced's tool.

So without enough knowledge and time to attempt a DIY salvage battery install, buying a 2011 leaf with a degraded battery is always a losing proposition?

Isn't it a darn shame that the Leaf is the world's most sold EV, and an owner needs to be begging for someone to replace the battery for him?

Although I love my Leaf and would like to always drive and EV in the future, the Leaf seems to be a car destined for the crusher, just like the EV1.... The owner/ Leaf relationship seems to be similar to having a crazy hot girlfriend... She kisses you, and then slaps you in the face.. Talk about mixed feelings in a relationship.

In 10-15 years, i think there will be few leafs around due to this darn battery issue -- even though the car can easily get 200K miles on it.

willz06jw said:
So without enough knowledge and time to attempt a DIY salvage battery install, buying a 2011 leaf with a degraded battery is always a losing proposition?

Some people have very modest range needs. If you only need 20-30 miles of range, then a degraded Leaf can be a good buy. Otherwise, you are correct.

Back