2016 Leaf SVorSL OR 2016 VW e-Golf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orbeavhawk

Thinking of turning off da Gas Pumps, selling my 2014 Mazda 3 SGT, getting one of the aforementioned cars: PLEASE share w me any
tips/wisdom and advice to help me choose the right one for my needs [I'm a Senior and only drive short distances once or twice a week].
I have always and still do consider the Leaf a "homely" car, but in reviewing the heck out of them it appears that most owners are more than able to overlook their looks because of their functionality, I believe I'd be able to do the same.
TKS michael

If you like comfort and convenience features, the Leaf has more of them, including a heated steering wheel (now optional, but possibly still standard in 2016) and better ease of entry. It is also more comfortable. The eGolf offers a more European driving experience, while the Leaf is more like a Corolla or Camry in ride and handling.

Hi Michael,

The main difference for me, between the SV and SL is seating surfaces: partially recycled fabric in the SV, and leather in the SL. The SL also includes some other gadgetry, like heated rear seats and the more elaborate sound system with the subwoofer on the trunk floor, which is a pro for some and a con for others.

The eGolf was on my radar when I was shopping, but I didn't see it as being very competitive. It tended to cost more but have lower range than the 30 kWh LEAFs I encountered.

The models that did strike my fancy were the Chevy Spark EV and Fiat 500e. They sound incredibly fun, and the 500e is so easy on the eyes, inside and out.

My practical side won out, though, and I chose a 30 kWh LEAF due to the charging versatility (6.6 kW level 2 and DC quick charge--the Spark EV has quick charge but only 3.3 kW level 2, and the 500e has no quick charge ability), longer range, the ability to rotate the tires front/rear, and the space to carry a spare tire on the trunk floor.

I used to find the previous generation LEAF...well shall we say ugly, but now I can't stop looking at them. The looks have really grown on me.

While I was originally focused on the 2016-17 LEAF SV, mostly for the heat pump climate control, I ended up with an S-trim car, and couldn't be happier. I prefer the seat fabric on the S, the wheels and tire size, and the controls in the center stack. I love not having a touch screen (they get so grimy) or the glossy shifter surround, and my prepaid cell carrier isn't compatible with the user account for the connectivity features of the SV and SL.

I live outside city limits, off dirt roads, and this LEAF takes me everywhere. I can't get enough of it! It's been on two camping trips (one over an 11,300' pass). Nearly every drive is at least 20 miles each way, and even in winter conditions, I return home with range to spare.

You may be aware, but the 4th place in the VIN is how to definitively tell a 24 kWh LEAF from a 30 kWh. For 2017 and earlier, A=24 kWh, B=30 kWh. Although the press release indicated that 2016 S-trims were 24 kWh, there are some 30 kWh 2016 S cars (I drive one) toward the end of the model year. My theory is that the assembly line ran out of 24 kWh packs before the model year ended.

S-trim cars came standard with only 3.3 kW level-2 charging. Look for the quick charge package on these, which have 6.6 kW level 2 and DC quick charge ChaDeMo, like the SV and SL.

You've probably heard about LEAF battery degradation. Fortunately, the LEAF has a capacity gauge (the 12, thin illuminated bars to the right of the range estimation bars) and more precise measurements can be obtained with the LeafSpy app and a Bluetooth dongle. I just selected one that still had all 12 capacity bars, but I don't use LeafSpy. I'm in the habit of not charging much past 80% on a regular basis, to extend life, but some just drive and charge without worrying about it and most don't come out badly.

Cheers!

Eric

orbeavhawk said:
PLEASE share w me any tips/wisdom and advice to help me choose the right one for my needs...

Please add your location to your profile and post signature...

The LEAF's user interface isn't particularly well designed. After 3 years of ownership, my wife still only knows how to do a few basic things. So, if you aren't tech savvy or you're impatient then the LEAF might not be the right fit.

I haven't driven an eGolf, so I can't comment on the user interface. However, make sure you get the 7.2 kW onboard charger as 3.6 kW is pretty slow. I think the faster OBC was standard on the SEL, add on option for SE.

The SEL Premium adds a heat pump, LED headlights, leatherette upholstery, an 8.0-inch infotainment screen, and navigation - similar to SL on a LEAF, with a few differences. Depending on where you live, the heat pump feature could be a huge range saver.

Lots more trim levels details here for the eGolf:

https://media.vw.com/press-kits/2016-e-golf-press-kit

Although the press release indicated that 2016 S-trims were 24 kWh, there are some 30 kWh 2016 S cars (I drive one) toward the end of the model year. My theory is that the assembly line ran out of 24 kWh packs before the model year ended.

The change to 30kwh packs seems in the S, IIRC, to have happened around July of 2016. It should be noted that there are quite a few 2016 and even a few 2017 30kwh packs with defective cells. Repair of them is covered under the 8 year battery warranty, but they may just replace bad cells rather then the whole pack.

There is also an issue with rapid capacity (or indicated capacity, according to Nissan) loss with the 30kwh packs. Nissan issued a software patch for the battery management system (BMS) but it doesn't reverse the loss in all cars. A 30kwh Leaf with 12 indicated capacity bars that has had the patch more than 6 months ago is likely a safe bet, as is a 12 bar Leaf with no patch ever applied. A Leaf that has had the patch recently will show 12 bars regardless of actual capacity.

LeftieBiker said:
A 30kwh Leaf with 12 indicated capacity bars that has had the patch more than 6 months ago is likely a safe bet, as is a 12 bar Leaf with no patch ever applied. A Leaf that has had the patch recently will show 12 bars regardless of actual capacity.

Very interesting. I hope this one is a safer bet, since it's been with me for 8 months and I have no idea if it's had the patch or not.

Back