mitrals
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:03 am
Delivery Date: 15 Jun 2019
Location: Chicago IL

Would you buy this 2016 leaf sl for 12000

Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:38 am

52k miles. 8 bars on the dashboard add carfax shows recall pending on the capacity loss. Big non Nissan dealer has no clue. Free battery replacement possible?
2012 Leaf SL. 9 Bars 50K miles - 06/15/2019 - Daily driver
2018 Honda Clarity Plug in Touring- Bought 04/26/19 - Daily driver

Previous electric cars:
2013 Leaf SV. Bought with 11 bars and 4K miles.
2013 Cmax Energi.
2013 Fusion Energi Titanium.

css28
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:14 pm
Delivery Date: 02 Aug 2019
Location: Bloomfield Twp, Michigan

Re: Would you buy this 2016 leaf sl for 12000

Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:26 am

I bought a 2017 SV with 54k miles, new tires and 12 bars (86% SoH) for $12,9k a couple of months ago as Nissan CPO.
I know nothing about your pending battery loss recall, though.
- Chris
----------
2017 SV, purchased 8/10/19, Coulis red

estomax
Posts: 228
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:23 pm
Delivery Date: 21 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 424033
Location: Seattle

Re: Would you buy this 2016 leaf sl for 12000

Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:41 am

carfax might be showing the software update that 30kwh leafs need to get to show more bars/capacity. The capacity calculator was faulty in the first go around in the 30kwh cars.
2013 Leaf SL Premium
27k, 93% SoH 2/17 32k, 96% SoH 6/17
46k, 94% SoH 2/18 52k, 88% SoH 6/18
62k, 87% SoH 2/19 68k, 84% SoH 6/19

johnlocke
Posts: 487
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:47 pm
Delivery Date: 14 Dec 2015
Leaf Number: 300582

Re: Would you buy this 2016 leaf sl for 12000

Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:35 am

mitrals wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:38 am
52k miles. 8 bars on the dashboard add carfax shows recall pending on the capacity loss. Big non Nissan dealer has no clue. Free battery replacement possible?
4 bars down qualifies for battery replacement although Nissan will try the BMS update before giving it to you. I have 68K on my 2016 SL and twelve bars (new battery at 45K). Tesla offered me $7.5K trade-in a couple of weeks ago and I got about the same offer from the Nissan dealer. I'd say that you should have a fair amount of room to negotiate, especially since they haven't replaced the battery. Ask them why not? It should be under warranty.
2016 SV, New battery at 45K mi.
Jamul, CA
San Diego East County

mitrals
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:03 am
Delivery Date: 15 Jun 2019
Location: Chicago IL

Re: Would you buy this 2016 leaf sl for 12000

Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:54 pm

The car is with a non Nissan Dealer and they have no EVs on their lot! This was a trade in according to them and I would rather take advantage of a new battery if I can get the car for 10K. I am just concerned about any gotchas from Nissan. The warranty for capacity should be 8Y/100K.
2012 Leaf SL. 9 Bars 50K miles - 06/15/2019 - Daily driver
2018 Honda Clarity Plug in Touring- Bought 04/26/19 - Daily driver

Previous electric cars:
2013 Leaf SV. Bought with 11 bars and 4K miles.
2013 Cmax Energi.
2013 Fusion Energi Titanium.

goldbrick
Posts: 636
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:33 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806
Location: Boulder, CO

Re: Would you buy this 2016 leaf sl for 12000

Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:26 pm

The main gotcha would be if the BMS firmware update puts it back over 8 bars and the car stays there until the warranty expires. This car does seem like it could be a warranty replacement candidate but it's sort of a crap-shoot what the battery stats will be after the BMS update. In other words, I'd say you have absolutely no idea what state the battery is in at the moment. It may be bad and replaceable under warranty or it could be fine or it could be somewhere in between. No matter what, you will still get the 8 yr/100k mile warranty but I'd say you have no way to know the current state of the battery. If you could get the serial number from the car, Nissan might be able to tell you if the BMS update has been done. If it has, then it should qualify for a new battery and would be a great deal.

As a single point of reference, my 2017 was at 92% SOH after about 6 months and I thought I was going to get a replacment battery. Then the BMS update was announced and I had that done. The SOH went up to 96% immediately afterwards. It's now at 94% after a little over 2 years of use. Other folks saw very little difference pre/post BMS update so it's impossible to say what will happen to this car.

User avatar
SalisburySam
Gold Member
Posts: 346
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:01 am
Delivery Date: 24 Feb 2012
Leaf Number: 018156
Location: Salisbury, NC

Re: Would you buy this 2016 leaf sl for 12000

Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:10 pm

mitrals wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:54 pm
The car is with a non Nissan Dealer and they have no EVs on their lot! This was a trade in according to them and I would rather take advantage of a new battery if I can get the car for 10K. I am just concerned about any gotchas from Nissan. The warranty for capacity should be 8Y/100K.
Unless it is changed for 2016, the 8yr/100K-mile warranty is for manufacturing defects, not capacity (which Nissan does NOT consider a manufacturing defect). With the recent recall about bonding straps, I can’t imagine too many folks being in a position to ever take advantage of the 8/100 warranty.
Nissan 2012 LEAF SL, 13,500 miles, 9 bars, 30-mile max range

Tesla Model 3: Long Range Rear Wheel Drive | Extended AutoPilot | Full Self-Driving
Delivered: July, 2018 | 12,500 miles
Get 1000 miles free Supercharging: https://ts.la/john70942

mitrals
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:03 am
Delivery Date: 15 Jun 2019
Location: Chicago IL

Re: Would you buy this 2016 leaf sl for 12000

Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:41 pm

SalisburySam wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:10 pm
mitrals wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:54 pm
The car is with a non Nissan Dealer and they have no EVs on their lot! This was a trade in according to them and I would rather take advantage of a new battery if I can get the car for 10K. I am just concerned about any gotchas from Nissan. The warranty for capacity should be 8Y/100K.
Unless it is changed for 2016, the 8yr/100K-mile warranty is for manufacturing defects, not capacity (which Nissan does NOT consider a manufacturing defect). With the recent recall about bonding straps, I can’t imagine too many folks being in a position to ever take advantage of the 8/100 warranty.
2016 increased the capacity warranty to 8 years 100k.
2012 Leaf SL. 9 Bars 50K miles - 06/15/2019 - Daily driver
2018 Honda Clarity Plug in Touring- Bought 04/26/19 - Daily driver

Previous electric cars:
2013 Leaf SV. Bought with 11 bars and 4K miles.
2013 Cmax Energi.
2013 Fusion Energi Titanium.

User avatar
SalisburySam
Gold Member
Posts: 346
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:01 am
Delivery Date: 24 Feb 2012
Leaf Number: 018156
Location: Salisbury, NC

Re: Would you buy this 2016 leaf sl for 12000

Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:44 pm

mitrals wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:41 pm
SalisburySam wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:10 pm
mitrals wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:54 pm
The car is with a non Nissan Dealer and they have no EVs on their lot! This was a trade in according to them and I would rather take advantage of a new battery if I can get the car for 10K. I am just concerned about any gotchas from Nissan. The warranty for capacity should be 8Y/100K.
Unless it is changed for 2016, the 8yr/100K-mile warranty is for manufacturing defects, not capacity (which Nissan does NOT consider a manufacturing defect). With the recent recall about bonding straps, I can’t imagine too many folks being in a position to ever take advantage of the 8/100 warranty.
2016 increased the capacity warranty to 8 years 100k.
Here I stand corrected. Thank you for the info.
Nissan 2012 LEAF SL, 13,500 miles, 9 bars, 30-mile max range

Tesla Model 3: Long Range Rear Wheel Drive | Extended AutoPilot | Full Self-Driving
Delivered: July, 2018 | 12,500 miles
Get 1000 miles free Supercharging: https://ts.la/john70942

cwerdna
Posts: 9817
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: Would you buy this 2016 leaf sl for 12000

Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:58 pm

mitrals wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:41 pm
2016 increased the capacity warranty to 8 years 100k.
Yes but only for 30 kWh cars, which the '16 SL would be. ’16 S was 24 kWh. ’16 SV, ’16 SL and ’16 "S 30" (see below) are 30 kWh.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/11 ... gher-price

8 year/100K capacity warranty also applies to 40 and 62 kWh Leafs.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”