2 nissan leafs connected to grid v2h

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rblackley

I have 2- 2013 Nissan Leaf S models. They have j1772 ports for charging . I would like to use the Leafs big batteries with a grid tie inverter to offset some of our home's peak energy cost. Is my only option 12v 1000w max inverter? I still drive the vehicles and I am aware of the options repurposing the batteries

I have considered using each 12 vlt battery, car in aux mode, and backfeeding 120 v to an outlet with 15 amp breaker 1000 w gridtie invertor on a timer. Since I have 2 cars available is there a way to combine (in Series possibly), with out damaging the leaf 12vlt system.

I anyone retrofitting CHAdeMO ports on these early models? If so are they bi directional?

Thanks for your help,

Ryan

It's my understanding that previous generation LEAFs cannot feed power from the J1772, but the current generation can.

I don't know what it would take to modify an earlier LEAF to feed power from the J1772, but every example I've seen uses an inverter connected to the 12v system, as you described.

Remember to place the car in ready mode, not acc. mode, when drawing from the 12v system.

It is an interesting idea, but I doubt it would work out in your favor, considering the losses and the lack of smart energy flow control to and from the cars.

I'm interested in seeing other replies.

PrairieLEAF said:
It's my understanding that previous generation LEAFs cannot feed power from the J1772, but the current generation can.

I don't know what it would take to modify an earlier LEAF to feed power from the J1772, but every example I've seen uses an inverter connected to the 12v system, as you described.
I've not heard of any official support be it in a vehicle or via the SAE standard for J1772 for a car to output power from its inlet. It's for charging only. Years ago at CES, it might've been at the Yazaki building outside CES, they had a proposal to get power from an EV via J1772. I might've taken a picture but I did ask about the standard not supporting it. I think the answer was that it was just a concept.

CHAdeMO support V2H and V2G but the vehicle needs to support it, as well. JDM Leafs have had support for it probably since the beginning. See below.

https://www.nichicon.co.jp/english/product_news/new124.html
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2012/05/leafvsh-20120530.html

Unsure which years or revisions of US market Leafs can do it. I've personally seen Nissan-supplied gen 2 Leafs (supposedly) powering a V2H box via CHAdeMO at EVents (e.g. Cupertino EVent years ago before '18 Leafs were shipping in the US) and at Nissan's booth at CES in Vegas. Unclear if the cars were modified/special.

On this note, I saw this box at Nissan HQ in Yokohama years ago: https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=504949#p504949. If memory serves, the box was not at Nissan HQ's lobby in Yokohama in late 2017. Some of the links at https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=509821#p509821 still work.

I will be attending Tokyo Motor Show again in a few weeks. Yay!

GerryAZ said:
The owner manuals for 2011 and 2015 did not mention V2H or V2G. The manual for 2019 indicates that the car is capable with suitable external hardware connected to the CHAdeMO port.

Before 2018 Nissan wasn't planning V2G or V2H for North America. Now they are at least considering it.

Thank for all the replies and info. I am actually looking to power directly off the 12volt battery not the j1772, with the big batteries re-energizing 12volt while in aux mode. Its my understanding that you can pull around 1000w with out depleting the 12volt too much. off peak is .03 and peak is .33 so i would love to off set a little if i can. anyone used 1000w gridtie inverter with a 12v source?

Thanks

Ryan

Wow, that's quite a price difference for peak/off peak.

I started investigating those grid tie inverters for a small solar installation. The more YouTube videos I watch, the less I want to use them. It sounds like they overheat easily, are prone to blowing MOSFETs, and have efficiency of about 50%.

Back