compact spare tire and wheel for 2019 Leaf SV Plus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There a post on this with a bunch of pages about adding a spare to a leaf.
I ended up using a spare from a 2000s altama and a jack from a 2000s sentra, both sourced from a junk yard.

I have this same question too - I just bought my leaf yesterday and I don't feel comfortable without one. I can't find the post that's being referred to about the spare...

I used this information to find one:

Spare tire
The official Nissan spare tire for the LEAF is a T125/90D16 98M.
The spare tire's wheel's part number is 403001ya7a.

The jack's part number is 99550-3ND0B. The jack for a Toyota Camry or a Nissan Altima will work with the LEAF. the Altima's jack's part number is 99550-L31001.
The jack from an U.S. market mid-90s - '05 Chevrolet Cavalier will also fit.

The spare tire from 2006-2008 Nissan Altimas fits correctly; its part number is 40300-L31010.

Tire and Rim Replacement Specifications, dimensions:

OEM wheel size is 16"x6.5" with a 40mm positive offset [1].
Hub has 5 bolts, 114.3mm (4.5") bolt pattern.
Hub bore size is 66.1mm.
The wheel stud thread size is 12mm x 1.25, just like every other Nissan since 1984.

There are Ebay sellers that offer complete packages, like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2018-NISSAN-LEAF-COMPACT-SPARE-TIRE-16-WITH-JACK-KIT/323820475385?hash=item4b653453f9:g:s34AAOSw3JRbjolZ

I kept watch on the local Craigslist and looked up the wheel specs online until I found a match with the above. I ended up with temp spare from an '09 Maxima. It's a little tall but a decent match with the oversized 205/65R16 tires that are on the car. I picked up a scissor jack and lug wrench from Harbor Freight. With a little bending, the top bracket of the harbor freight scissor jack fits over the LEAF jack points.

If using an oddball application, make sure to test-fit the spare to ensure it doesn't contact the front brakes.

Well I did end up using my spare.
After I got the regular tire back on I noticed the spare looked like it was possibly starting to tread separate.
So when I got home I put the spare back on and drove it 4 miles, checked it drove 4 more and it was definitely tread separating.
What can I expect from a 12 to 14 year old $5 junk yard spare that had been used and may have been kind of flat when it did get used?
I went to buy a spare and holey crap the tire shop wanted $188 for just a tire.
Found a new spare tire, just the tire no rim on ebay for $70 shipped to my door.
I thought about getting another junk yard special but a tow here would probably run around $120.
So I opted for the reliable spare tire.

Oilpan4 said:
Well I did end up using my spare.
After I got the regular tire back on I noticed the spare looked like it was possibly starting to tread separate.
So when I got home I put the spare back on and drove it 4 miles, checked it drove 4 more and it was definitely tread separating.
What can I expect from a 12 to 14 year old $5 junk yard spare that had been used and may have been kind of flat when it did get used?
I went to buy a spare and holey crap the tire shop wanted $188 for just a tire.
Found a new spare tire, just the tire no rim on ebay for $70 shipped to my door.
I thought about getting another junk yard special but a tow here would probably run around $120.
So I opted for the reliable spare tire.

I don 't understand. If you had a spare tire rim, then putting on a NEW tire cannot cost $170?

It's a spare space saver tire. I had no idea they could cost so much.
It would have cost over $190 with tax if I had bought it from the tire shop. Looks like that's a normal price.
I reused the spare tires old rim.

Oilpan4 said:
It's a spare space saver tire. I had no idea they could cost so much.
It would have cost over $190 with tax if I had bought it from the tire shop. Looks like that's a normal price.
I reused the spare tires old rim.

I like full size spares

Yeah me too.
My wife's Hyundai hybrid didn't come with a spare at all so it got a full size alloy wheel like the other 4 plus the jack and tire iron kit from her old hyumdai.
Since the leaf has never gone more than 25 miles from home in almost 2 years it got a space saver.
When I put the big battery in there I will probably go to a full size spare.

I have a Mazda3 space saver that I got from a junk yard. Finding the right spec wheel for a Visia was quite the challenge since most cars have only 4 nuts.

I'm finding a lot of responses to the question about buying a spare tire which recommend the Altima wheel as a satisfactory replacement. But I'm also seeing in the responses that they refer to 16" wheels.

My 2019 Leaf has 17" wheels.

Which used 17" wheels will work for me, please?

Some Altimas came with 17" wheels so if you find a spare from one of those cars it should work. There are multiple websites on line that show the wheel specs for all the different Nissan models over the years. Find the specs for your Leaf and then look through other Nissan models and years to find the matches. The main parameters to check are the offset and rim width. The bolt pattern and center bore are probably the same for any recent Nissan but that is something to check too.

The most important wheel specs to adhere to are:

• 5x114.3 bolt pattern
  • 40mm offset
  • CB of 66.1mm or larger

According to wheels-size.com, you could match those specs by obtaining a used 17" rim from these cars:

Qashqai (2007 - 2017)
Qashqai+2 (2008 - 2013)
Quest (2003 - 2009)
X-Trail (2001 - 2007)

Back