Kenneth

Best reason to own a Leaf

Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:55 pm

My Leaf arrives in April, so they say. This will be in addition to my collection of the three most fuel efficient gas-electric hybrids ever sold in America. Anyway, there is one, single, important reason why I want a vehicle that does not rely on gasoline sitting in my garage and here it is. Were you driving a car in this country in 1973? Not born yet, you say, well, OK. Ever heard of the Arab oil embargo aka the gas crisis? When this repeats itself I do not want to be competing with the motorists of 2011 that I encounter everyday. It was bad enough in 1973 but this time there will be blood. People are different. Ever been threatened or endangered by the lunatic in the pickup truck? I want to drive by the gas station in my Leaf and hopefully no stray bullets will perforate the car.

TRONZ
Delivery Date: 31 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 202

Re: Best reason to own a Leaf

Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:44 pm

Welcome to the forum. My early childhood memory of the embargo is pretty slim. Soon after though, I do remember my dad got the first diesel VW Rabbit to arrive in San Francisco and started collecting extra diesel in a large fuel drum he kept out back. I think it made an impact on him.
Every start, is as good as any start can ever be. - Douglas Darden

Stats;
2011 LEAF SL VIN#202, Delivered 01.30.11. Now, by far, the oldest LEAF in Colorado.

kolmstead
Delivery Date: 15 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 000257
Location: Ridgecrest, California (100 miles east of Bakersfield)

Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:00 pm

Yeah, Kenneth, I was there too. Thirty-eight years later, and we aren't any more prepared than we were last time. But the best reason right now for owning my LEAF is last month's 'fuel' bill... about $26. Roughly two and a half cents per mile.

-Karl

HIOJim
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2016
Leaf Number: 5294

Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:02 pm

Kenneth wrote:My Leaf arrives in April, so they say. This will be in addition to my collection of the three most fuel efficient gas-electric hybrids ever sold in America. Anyway, there is one, single, important reason why I want a vehicle that does not rely on gasoline sitting in my garage and here it is. Were you driving a car in this country in 1973? Not born yet, you say, well, OK. Ever heard of the Arab oil embargo aka the gas crisis? When this repeats itself I do not want to be competing with the motorists of 2011 that I encounter everyday. It was bad enough in 1973 but this time there will be blood. People are different. Ever been threatened or endangered by the lunatic in the pickup truck? I want to drive by the gas station in my Leaf and hopefully no stray bullets will perforate the car.
I too was around back then and remember the lines and the (sometime) confrontations.

Once, I was going upstate to ski and wanted to 'top off' my tank for the trip. I had to wait on a long line, but eventually got to the pump. When my car only took ~5 gallons I almost got into an altercation with the guy behind me who accused me of keeping him from 'his gas' for 'no reason'. And let's not forget that gas rationing coupons were actually printed but fortunately not issued.

Everyone assumes that gas will just go up in price but will always be available. Don't be so sure...
Hans (2017 VW e-Golf SE) Leased 01/16/18
The Blue Beauty (2016 Leaf SV) - Lease return 01/21/18
The Dark Knight (2013 Leaf S) - Lease return 03/31/16
LineJumper (2011 Nissan LEAF eTec) - Sold 10/01/11
Sparky (2012 Chevy Volt) - Purchased 09/16/11

sparky
Delivery Date: 08 Jan 2011

Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:02 pm

While I do remember the '73 oil embargo and coincidently my dad also bought a diesel VW rabbit; for me, that's not the best reason to own a LEAF. Mine's been delivered, it's got over 2200 mi on it and rather than wait for a repeat of '73, owning a LEAF, powered by the "oil well" on my roof, I smile everyday. I think I finally have personal transportation that makes sense. No embargo required.
Welcome to the forum.

derkraut
Delivery Date: 14 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 004248

Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:57 pm

Kenneth wrote:My Leaf arrives in April, so they say. This will be in addition to my collection of the three most fuel efficient gas-electric hybrids ever sold in America. Anyway, there is one, single, important reason why I want a vehicle that does not rely on gasoline sitting in my garage and here it is. Were you driving a car in this country in 1973? Not born yet, you say, well, OK. Ever heard of the Arab oil embargo aka the gas crisis? When this repeats itself I do not want to be competing with the motorists of 2011 that I encounter everyday. It was bad enough in 1973 but this time there will be blood. People are different. Ever been threatened or endangered by the lunatic in the pickup truck? I want to drive by the gas station in my Leaf and hopefully no stray bullets will perforate the car.
Yes, I was driving a car in this country in 1973; and I remember the Arab Oil Embargo very vividly. Fortunately, I was not adversely affected because I was driving a 1959 Mercedes 180D Diesel at the time. Diesel was never in short supply during the embargo. I remember driving past long lines waiting @ the gas station, driving up to the diesel pump, and filling up @ 38 cents per gallon. It was funny, because sometimes people would line up behind me (short line, right?) not realizing that I was at a diesel pump. When they finally realized it, they had to go back to the back of the long line. It was UGLY, I tell you! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Derkraut
Color: Cayenne SLE, ETEC trim
reserved: 5/15/2010
Leaf del. 6/14/2011
New Traction battery installed on 7/28/2017:

Boomer23
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011

Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:17 pm

My best reason is just like Sparky's. We make enough extra power from the power plant on our roof to drive all of our annual miles for free. I don't have as dim a view of the world as Kenneth does, and I lived through all of the gas lines, even parking my car in line overnight and walking a couple miles from and back to the car when the gas station opened up on "even" days. It wasn't fun but it was as civilized as it could be.

That said, I don't live anywhere near the "mean streets". ;)
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier Kinetic Blue
Blog: http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kenneth

Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:08 am

My very first adventure into this forum should probably have been a little less cynical. I posed the question about driving in 1973 and encountering the gas lines during the Arab oil embargo. It was nice to see that several people recalled those stressful times. But, it seems, most drivers did not experience it and thus no lesson was ever learned.

Today there are fewer gas stations but more cars. If gas supplies vanish or it becomes hard to find, lines will form and history will repeat itself. I don't want to be part of that scene again. So, I think it is, at least, a really good reason to plan ahead by having an alternative to a gasoline powered vehicle ready to go.

Boomer23
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011

Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:10 am

Kenneth wrote:My very first adventure into this forum should probably have been a little less cynical. I posed the question about driving in 1973 and encountering the gas lines during the Arab oil embargo. It was nice to see that several people recalled those stressful times. But, it seems, most drivers did not experience it and thus no lesson was ever learned.

Today there are fewer gas stations but more cars. If gas supplies vanish or it becomes hard to find, lines will form and history will repeat itself. I don't want to be part of that scene again. So, I think it is, at least, a really good reason to plan ahead by having an alternative to a gasoline powered vehicle ready to go.
No question, Kenneth. As gas prices started to climb again recently, it felt really good to know that I would soon have an alternative means of fueling for much of my driving.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier Kinetic Blue
Blog: http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

davewill

Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:41 am

Kenneth wrote:My very first adventure into this forum should probably have been a little less cynical. I posed the question about driving in 1973 and encountering the gas lines during the Arab oil embargo. It was nice to see that several people recalled those stressful times. But, it seems, most drivers did not experience it and thus no lesson was ever learned.
I had always thought that obvious from the way that all of Carter's initiatives for energy independence were trashed at record speed...

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”