GeorgeParrott

Re: Best reason to own a Leaf

Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:54 am

For both "freedom from Arab oil economics" and for a cleaner tomorrow where we all can breathe...

This article on our home and cars was just posted today on another website; you might find it relevant to owning a Leaf and powering it efficiently:

http://solarchargeddriving.com/news/peo ... solar.html

trentr
Delivery Date: 16 Apr 2011

Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:28 pm

Thanks for the read guys. Why was diesel not affected by the embargo? I would think it would be affected as well. Is it because there were plenty of supply and not much demand?
2011 Blue SL+QC

Hal
Delivery Date: 0- 9-2011

Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:47 pm

This is easy. I wanted to do something that reduce our involvement in the mid east. It seemed unreasonable to send soldiers into harms way in the mid east so we can drive SUV at home. So what changes could I make? An electric vehicle is the perfect answer. It reduces some oil dependency, it could reduce oil company profits, pushes a new technology forward, saves national treasury from foreign wars, and may save soldiers lives. All in all a good thing.

LEAFfan
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 1855

Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:06 pm

TRONZ wrote:My early childhood memory of the embargo is pretty slim. Soon after though, I do remember my dad got the first diesel VW Rabbit to arrive in San Francisco and started collecting extra diesel in a large fuel drum he kept out back. I think it made an impact on him.
The first diesel VW Rabbit was manufactured in 1977, 4 years after the embargo. I bought the first one delivered to anyone in Ohio at the oldest VW dealer in Ohio. Three years later, I bought another one and this one had A/C and I won an 'economy run' of 42 miles with a 'crush the competition' of 78Mpg.
2013 LEAF SV Del. 2/28/13
2013 LEAF World Record for Most Miles Driven On One Charge-188 miles/8.8 m/kW h
4.8 kW DC PV ($ .91/W fully installed)/ Dec., 2010

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Come on you guys the oil embargo was not about OPEC refusing to sell oil to the US. It was just about the money. Nixon took the dollar off the gold standard and the dollar fell so OPEC just wanted a higher price. But Nixon wanted to control inflation by having price controls on oil. There was never a shortage. The mandated pump price just would not support the price OPEC demanded. Eventually the price controls were lifted and the oil flowed freely. And inflation roared away peaking around 1979/1980.

But yes I really prefer to use domestic energy.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

ggodman
Delivery Date: 15 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 005145

Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:15 pm

For me it is really simple, I hate going to the gas station and giving them my money, period f**king Dot.

Nekota
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2182

Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:20 am

smkettner wrote:Come on you guys the oil embargo was not about OPEC refusing to sell oil to the US. It was just about the money. Nixon took the dollar off the gold standard and the dollar fell so OPEC just wanted a higher price. But Nixon wanted to control inflation by having price controls on oil. There was never a shortage. The mandated pump price just would not support the price OPEC demanded. Eventually the price controls were lifted and the oil flowed freely. And inflation roared away peaking around 1979/1980.

But yes I really prefer to use domestic energy.
"There was never a shortage" is poppy cock. The departure of Western nations from the gold standard in 1971 placed pressure on the revenue that oil brought in to Arab nations but the shortage trigger was an active decision by OAPEC in October 1973 to drop oil production by 5% followed by another 5% next period and so on as a direct result of US rearming Israel after the Yom Kipper War. When the US further increased aid to Israel, several Arab nations responded with an oil embargo with the US as the primary target.

The notion of one man's political actions as the simple reason and ensuing vilification continues to show how our politics has continued to descend into a stagnant polarization in the last 40 years. I am skeptical that humans by their need for leaders and heroes and their blind acceptance of fear are simply too lazy to reason and weigh risks to make decisions. The latest evidence of this ineptitude is the rejection of electric cars because their limited range.
Res 20Apr2010 / Ordered 27Sep2010 / Delivered 12May2011

PV System

cracovian

Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:14 am

I actually remember the US embargo in the 80s - thank you very much, guys...

It's not just the Arabs who are mean but the Americans can impose their own embargoes on the little European kids living behind the iron curtain riding in the back of the two cycle Trabant too and wondering when the Pershings start raining down on them next. Just sayin'...

The monthly 20 liter (~5 gallons) limit wasn't fun but my reason to own the LEAF is to stick it up to the Arabs by reducing our demand by 50% down to what we can actually produce ourselves. Hopefully, I'll be able to generate my own solar power eventually too, so the mountains in WV don't have to blown up either.
2012 LEAF SL - 72K miles (7 bars)
Reserved: 04/20/2010, Delivered: 11/11/11

10.80 kW AC solar array: LG and SunEdison panels on Enphase

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”