Growing 3 bars (dealer reset?)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyguy

The Car:
2013 LEAF manufactured 7/2013 (likely newer battery chemistry)
No fast-charge port
Looks to be 3.3 kW onboard charger, per dealer information sheet.

Carfax shows Always in mild climate: Pacific Northwest
51,000 miles (8,000 per year)

The dealer's pictures online show 9 Granola/Protein bars. I mean "health bars".

But when I show up to have a look at the car, it has 12 bars.

12 almost seems possible, given that it's never been fast charged, and always in a mild climate. (But how many Turtles?)
Can it grow 3 bars, say if it's the first time the cells have been balanced in a very long time?

Thanks.

Nah, it can't "grow" 3 bars from balancing. I'd say that your deduction is correct. Sometimes, though, if the photo is taken just as the car is booting up, it won't show the correct number of bars, as I understand it. I would assume the worst. It was probably left sitting with a 100% charge often, during some of those unusually Hot PNW Summers they've had lately..

If they show 9 bars and then it magically turns into 12 bars when you see it in person. Its definitely a trick.

I have a 2014 battery and it still has all 12 bars for a few more weeks. It was in Chicago's climate from 2014 till 2018, had about 100 dcfc and 2,800 L1/L2 charges.

Get a obd2 dongle and leaf spy it. If it has nearly 100% soc then there's no way. If it really has all 12 bars that first bar should be about ready to drop.

I have heard of a leaf getting back a bar bit not 3.

Does this OP know the difference between state-of-charge bars and health bars?

I believe I do. Here's my understanding: state of charge (SOC) are the long bars, and the little ones to the right of those are what I'm calling "health bars". Are those a gross indicator of SOH? (About 85% after the first blivet drops, and about 6% for each additional one.)

skyguy said:
I believe I do. Here's my understanding: state of charge (SOC) are the long bars, and the little ones to the right of those are what I'm calling "health bars". Are those a gross indicator of SOH? (About 85% after the first blivet drops, and about 6% for each additional one.)

That's correct.

Back